Quantcast

Vizio Announces Co-Star LT for $80

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by deadringer28, Oct 16, 2013.

1. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

You'd think it would be called something other than Co-Star LT, maybe a completely new name would make more sense?

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

4. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Who knows what they might do with it, but just the fact that people won't have to wire up another input on their TV/AVR to use it is a clear cut boon for many.

This is really a serious blow to the Google Tv brand. Clearly Vizio feels that their name and even the Co-Star name are synonymous with media streaming and not with GTV. Some of their customers may even be pleased to discover that GTV is gone, but they likely feel many won't even care.
    Basically there's the HTPC replacement market, and there's the Media Streaming market; and in the later category the only thing that matters is how many streaming sites you can support.

Many of us on the board fall somewhere in between (we even have a few MSN/WebTV converts), but most people just want something simple to stream their NetFlix or whatever. Even Google admitted it when they introduced the ChromeCast.

---

On second thought, this is nothing that LG hasn't done with their "smart TV" offerings. If Google creates a more desirable product, the TV makers aren't going to be so quick to blur the lines.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  5. CatfishRivers

Ok I took a closer look at the Vizio Co-Star LT on the Vizio web site:

VIZIO Co-Star Stream Players | Upgrade any HDTV to be a Smart TV | VIZIO

The Co-Star LT integrates live TV from a cable/satellite box (so that's why there's HDMI IN).

Also the Co-Star LT only has WiFi (no ethernet port). On the Vizio web site it says: "optional USB to Ethernet adapter available". And there's no web browser.

At least for now - IMO from the look of Vizio's Co-Star web page they will carry both the GTV Co-Star and the non GTV Co-Star LT. It's hard to say though if they plan on carrying both boxes long-term. It might be that they just have inventory to unload of the GTV version and then when that inventory is gone they call it quits. Walmart still carries the GTV Co-Star - so for now it's not officially discontinued yet.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  6. CatfishRivers

7. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

This just seems like yet another streaming player. I don't quite see the point. They seem to be moving away from Android which seems odd and running their own foundation makes it a less appealing player. Don't know why someone would pick this over an ATV or a Roku 3. It's just another box from someone with no software history.

Unfortunately, this does not exactly send waves of optimism for the state of our GTV platforms. Google really has to get on with it and transform our boxes into Android players. People need to see a difference if they are going to buy GTV hardware over the competition.

Fortunately Sony tends to support its products which more than justifies paying a premium for their units.

Philip

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

8. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

yawn.. oh wait.. there is yet another media player box on the market?? :) I guess this is somewhat unique with the HDMI in, giving it a distinguishing feature vs. many alternatives.. but really really nuts/crazy/stupid to pollute the Co-Star name with this box.

change the name and it really doesn't ever deserve a mention here.. other than as we read the tea-leaves about if/when/where we will ever see an update to our "classic" Co-Star's.

9. jonw747

I can only assume there are people who buy Vizio TVs who would look to add a Vizio streaming box, beyond that it's all about the check list. Any device that can stream something that Roku and Apple don't will automatically find a niche.

10. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I can see Vizio TV customers looking into the box. Always nice to have the same company for certain peripherals. The check list of things not carried by Apple either via AirPlay or directly on the ATV is not exactly huge. The same for the Roku, although there I guess the lack of a native YouTube app is a glaring hole. Odd omission for Roku.

Philip

11. jonw747

It's getting smaller all the time too, but it only takes one thing. Also just because a platform has an App doesn't mean they have a good version of it. For instance, Roku has an NBA Gametime App, but (last I knew) it didn't have an option to not show scores, so it would constantly blow out of an in progress game and ruin the final score before I'd come anywhere close to the end.

Apple Tv is getting better, but is still pretty restrictive, and AirPlay is a far cry from a universal solution. Ignoring the fact that many people don't want to drag another device in to the picture, there's a fair number of Apps which simply do not support AirPlay even with Mirroring. Just because you can view something on your iPad doesn't mean you can view it on your Apple Tv.

Anyway, I guess we'll just have to see what Vizio plans to bring to the party. For instance, anyone who can make display mirroring work reliably *AND* universally will have useful product. It's amazing how fractured this has become in the Android world, because nothing has worked well.

12. mogulman

mogulman New Member

This is one of the first devices with the rebranded Android TV (formerly Google TV). I don't think they can mention Android TV since Google hasn't formally rolled it out. That should happen in January. I am thinking they will eventually upgrade the regular Co-Star with the same OS.

13. CatfishRivers

Where did you come up with that idea? Can you supply a link to support your "idea"?

According to Vizio's own web site (see link below) - the Co-Star LT does not support Chrome browser, and only supports their own "Vizio Internet Apps Plus" platform. (No Google Play Store):

VIZIO Co-Star Stream Players | Upgrade any HDTV to be a Smart TV | VIZIO

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: The new "Sony Bravia Smart Stick with Google Services" is an example of a new device anticipating the name change from Google TV to "Android TV with Google Services". It's got Chrome, Google Play Store, GTV search features, etc. Vizio could of done the same kind of name thing if they intended to support android TV on their new Vizio Co-Star LT. But they didn't. Instead the LT removes android and Chrome.

http://store.sony.com/bravia-smart-...0000pBMo4bdr?_t=pfm=search&SearchTerm=Nsz-Gu1

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  14. mogulman

mogulman New Member

It only makes sense. There is no way Vizio spent 10's of millions of $'s developing/buying an OS when Android is free. Apps are expensive to develop and these are the same apps as GTV. What they did was create a customized version of Android TV that does not have Chrome or Google Play. It may be a timing issue with Android TV. Vizio wanted to release a product before Google was ready. Barnes & Noble did this with the Nook. Time will tell.

15. jonw747

If this is what "Android Tv" is becoming? Blech.

16. CatfishRivers

THE VIZIO CO-STAR LT IS NOT RUNNING A CUSTOMIZED VERSION OF ANDROID. Are you a science fiction writer or something? -;)

Vizio ALREADY had their own app platform for their TVs. No biggie to port that over for their Co-Star LT. It's not like they're creating a new app platform from scratch (just for the Co-Star LT). Google TV might be free but so far it's a buggy mess and doesn't sell well at all. I doubt Vizio has made any real profit on the original Co-Star (with all of the returned units). In fact Amazon doesn't even stock the original Co-Star anymore.

1) Google has not been a good partner thus far for Vizio

2) The original Co-Star didn't sell well

3) GTV is complicated & has bugs

4) Vizio already has their own app platform on their televisions

5) Vizio thinks it can make a simpler device that sells better and works well to integrate the Vizio ecosystem.

End of story.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  17. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

The only thing you got right here is when you said "There is no way Vizio spent 10's of millions of $'s developing/buying an OS" that is correct they did not. They already had it and it runs on all of their smart TVs.

The rest of what you said is false.

• Like Like x 2
  18. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

19. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

My GS7's were marketed as "Sony Internet Player with Google TV". They just need to change one word:)

philip

20. CatfishRivers

It's still early but it's looking to me like Vizio's new Co-Star LT box is a complete dud. It's currently ranked at #68,959 on the Amazon Electronics Bestseller List. And there is only one custumer review that gives it the lowest 1 star rating:

Amazon.com: VIZIO LT CoStar LT Stream Player (ISV-B11): Electronics

It's selling much worse than any of the GTV devices. I suppose this can be viewed as a slight positive for GTV. Now if GTV can generate some buzz with the Jellybean update maybe Vizio will stick with GTV.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013