Quantcast

View external drive from pc on revue?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by tha5150, Nov 2, 2011.

1. tha5150

tha5150 New Member

Hello everyone. quick question here.

i have a 1TB connected to my laptop on my network at home. i would like to view all the movies and pictures from that drive on the Revue. is this possible? currently all i see are pictures and movies on the laptop itself.

2. surprisinguy

surprisinguy New Member

Currently the only way to do that is set it up as a DLNA server. Try Tversity, it's free. I use it and it works great.

3. tha5150

tha5150 New Member

after i posted i found that.. thanks!

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You can only see the pictures and movies from your laptop because Windows Media Player (WMP) sharing is sharing them as a DLNA server. You would have to add the external drive's folder or files into the shared library which are scanned by WMP.

However, there have been a lot reports that WMP sharing doesn't reflect library changes quickly. So, using a external drive might not be a good idea.

5. tha5150

tha5150 New Member

TVMoboli is what i installed. i am not home yet to try it out, i did this remotely this morning.

let me explain my usual process and maybe there is a better solution.

from work or at night, i will download shows, movies, music, pics, etc etc to the laptop. there is a 1tb connected that everything goes to in case of laptop failure. also i am in need of a 2nd 1tb because its almost full and there is a 256 ssd in the laptop. so i would then, the next night or whatever, open Google TV Revue and want to see everything i downloaded the night before. without remoting into that media server and moving files or re scanning for changes, etc etc.

is WMP or TVMobili my best option? the laptop with external drive is tucked away and hard to get to daily so i remote in with another laptop or iPad, hence i want it to auto scan for changes every 30 min or so.

also, VERY important. 99% of my movies are x264 format.. i need to be able to stream to GoogleTV Revue and need the proper DLNA software to do so.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I would consider canvasing for an advance Network Attached Storage device. There are many NAS which function as a DLNA server but also as a downloading client. That way you can initiate downloads to be processed by the NAS directly to it.

7. tha5150

tha5150 New Member

thanks for the tip. the ONLY reason i wouldn't get that and waste my laptop is because i also use my laptop connected to my HDTV to watch UFC fights through a site i know of. hmm... wonder if i can do the same with googletv? hmmmmmmm

i just dont want to buy something else that i could just use what i have to do the same thing, same end result.

back to the initial question i guess... would WMP or TVMobili do what i am asking for?

8. tha5150

tha5150 New Member

also i need to know if what i am using will play x264 movies

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Really, then why did you get a Google TV if you're already using your laptop with your HDTV? Besides, NAS weren't meant to replace your laptop by any means. They're meant to be as storage solution for your files. Some of the better NAS solutions will provide redundancy, save backups, and much more.

It is possible but I haven't used either software to be able to give a definite answer.

10. tha5150

tha5150 New Member

thanks for both your answers. i only use the laptop for certain things and wife is computer illiterate. so we had an ATV2 i just exchanged for the Revue. she loves netflix.

11. Gomez

Gomez New Member

Have you looked into Plex, I know we dont have google market yet on the Revue but if you wait you wont have to waste money and the app is great.

12. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

A DLNA server (or Windows 7 with media streaming enabled) will serve up your h.254 movies. However, the Revue will not play them natively. The only option is to use a DLNA server that will transcode on the fly. I have tried several and they all have issues of one sort or the other. I ended up buying Mezzmo, which for me worked better than the others. However, transcoded video stops after some seconds the first time it is played. If you restart it, it will play OK. According the the folks at Mezzmo, this is a limitation of the Revue when playing files transcoded on the fly since when play begins, the file size is unknown.

Paul

13. BigOkie

BigOkie New Member

I hate to say this, but if you want a full-featured DLNA client, the Revue ain't what you're looking for. A week before I bought the Revue, I bought a WDTVLive media player for $99 at Best Buy. Not only will it play attached USB storage, it gives you the option to load up either a Media Server (and any of the more popular ones, like WMP and Mediatomb will work), use a network share (either Samba/Windows OR NFS). And while it doesn't have all the features that the Revue has, if all you are looking for is to play movies either from a Media Server or just a regular network share, the WDTV live box is hard to go wrong on. The only file formats I know of that it won't play are WMV7 and WMV8. Aside from that, there's not a format it's not been able to play that I've thrown at it aside from the two aformentioned Windows media formats. It does player WMV9 and higher (FourCC should show up as WMV3).

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, it will. All of my movies are encoded with H.254 video streams with the AVC1 codec. Every single one of them will play through Media Player for both Sony and Logitech's Media Players. They will even run play the files locally on a USB storage device. So, I'm not sure if you're experiences appropriately match up with its capabilities.

Are you able to distinguish the actual codec used for the H.264 video streams? A tool like MediaInfo can help you with that. Also, transcoding servers which don't have an appropriate profile or not configured for the Google TV are susceptible to transcode a compatible format into an incompatible format.

Btw, there are applications on the Android Market like File Expert which will stream over network file shares. There are also signs of applications turning the Google TV devices into a DLNA server, like on the aVai Media Player. If you didn't have the GTV2 update, you were always able to play your files through local USB storage.

Even though a certified home DLNA player is only required to play JPG, LPCM, and MPEG2 formats, Google TV does provide codec and format support beyond the prerequisites. Granted it isn't as compatible as the other devices which have used the libavcodec and libavformat libraries from FFMPEG as the WDTV Live or even the other ARM based Media Players for on the Android Market. However, it is more compatible than some other devices like a Microsoft's Xbox 360.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  15. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

i would consider waiting for the update and future access to apps in the market before i would spend a whole lot of time making it work. if you want to play free tvmobili is simple stupid ( set it and forget it ) and not as confusing and ass backwards as windows media player and win7 sharing . forget transcoding media to play , easier just to make the format compatible with file factory ( in batches ) and stream it . i have the wdtv live plus ( yes good product 50 bucks refurbed and plays everything dam near ) but i like my revue a whole lot more @ 90 bucks . and with the market and and rooting the fun is only beginning ...