Quantcast

Videophone

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by guest, Sep 24, 2013.

1. guest

guest Active Member

Is anyone using videophone technology with their GoogleTV? Relatives of mine are using Facebook and LineaScan(?). I don't think that the Facebook option would work with GTV. I do use a VOIP account with my GTV, so am interested in using the option whereby a camera is attached to the TV. The party on the other end would likely be using a Windows-based laptop. They already have a camera connected to the laptop. So I'm looking for a way to merge the two technologies: a GTV with VOIP and an attached camera communicating via audio/video with a Windows-based laptop with an attached camera.

I'm going to check the website of my VOIP service provider right now, to see if there is any mention of "videochatting".

Also, wasn't Logitech selling a camera for just this purpose last year? Have they discontinued selling it?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The Logitech Revue video camera and software was a proprietary system, no longer supported and of no help. I don't know what might work with the Revue now that system is history.

For second generation models being updated to Jelly Bean, we are hopeful something will be available soon enough but I don't even know any specifics.

3. guest

guest Active Member

I found the following post, which mentions ObiON. I'll have to check that out. (I'm using an OBi110 with two VOIP service providers, Callcentric and Google Voice.) X-Lite is mentioned. I believe that's a softphone. Is it available as a free app in the Google Play Store? As far as cameras/speakers/microphone, there are speakers in my TV. So I would need to buy a camera and microphone? As I see it, this is a set-up for computer to computer communications. So if I make a VOIP call to a landline phone number (as opposed to a computer phone number), I'm out of the loop, so to speak. Ten years ago, I was thinking about buying a Videophone. The problem was that the other party that you intended to call needed a Videophone, as well. But such a device would have worked with landline calls. I believe the device connected to a TV screen.
    ---------------
    Steve Collins
    June 19th, 2013, 04:44 PM
    As a cost cutting measure, we decided to drop the land line at the business and move the phone number to our Sprint family plan. This saved us some money and added some features we didn't have on the land line, most significant of which is texting.

The security system we have, however, requires a traditional phone connection, so we needed an economical way to get that to happen. So, we found a nifty VoIP solution that works with Google Voice to provide sending & receiving calls to any number without a phone bill (which means "for free"). OBIHAI has several products in this space, but we went with the OBi110. I added a line splitter to connect a phone as well as the security system to the back. The OBi110 cost $50 & I had wires and a phone splitter already.

You can get video chat for it from their web site called OBiON, which works with a soft phone to get a working video chat on any computer that has a camera, speakers and microphone. I use X-Lite, which is free and works well. There's versions of OBiON for iPhone, iPad and Android. All free.

We setup Google Voice to give us a new number, which is what the security hardware uses for communicating. Works like a champ.

OBIHAI & Google Voice [Archive] - The Picture Framers Grumble

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The GTV OS doesn't support web cams. Only IP cams through apps are supported. IP cams are used for security/surveillance and not for video chatting. Yes the special Logitech Revue video camera is discontinued and no longer supported (doesn't work).

As a workaround you could purchase a 'self-contained' vid-cam that you just hook up directly to your TV. They are more expensive than regular web cams. But check on Amazon as I think the prices have been coming down somewhat. Two come to mind:

1) Logitech TV Cam HD (works with Skype):

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/off-topic-discussion/5761-logitech-introduce-skype-tv-cam-hd.html

2) Biscotti TV cam (works with Google Voice):

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-phone-google-video-chat-goes-big-screen.html

Because these 2 cameras are 'self contained' - they work without the need for a computer or GTV.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  5. guest

guest Active Member

This is the product that I was thinking of, that I had read about, some years ago. I see it is still being sold today. The drawback is that each party needs to have this device. I need to take a look at the website again. Maybe there have been some developments, in the interim, whereby one of their units is compatible with their many other competitors now on the market. Beamer TV Video Phone

6. CatfishRivers

For about the price of 2 of those Beamer TV Video Phone units - you could buy the Logitech HD TV cam for Skype:

Amazon.com: Logitech 960-000921 TV Cam HD for Skype Calls on HDTVs: Electronics

With the Logitech HD TV cam you will have HD clarity - and you can use it with anybody that has Skype on a computer (so the other party doesn't need to use the Logitech HD TV cam). IMO Considering that the original Logitech Revue cam cost $149.99 at launch - the Logitech HD TV cam is not a bad deal at the current price.

7. guest

guest Active Member

I only use VOIP service providers that offer Pay-As-You-Go plans. So I might spend only a few dollars (or $0.00) per month with these types of plans. But with Skype, they'll give you unlimited free calls - but for $19.95 per month! I haven't checked their pricing plans recently, but I don't think their business plan encompasses a pay as you go option.

8. guest

guest Active Member

That Biscotti TV Phone looks like something that might meet my needs. Thanks.

9. guest

guest Active Member

10. CatfishRivers

Yeah in reading the reviews - the Biscotti phone was integrated to work with Google Talk. Well Google Talk was recently discontinued so that's why it's getting the poor reviews. In my initial post I said it works with Google Voice - I meant to say it works with Google Talk.

On the Biscotti web site they list the services that the Biscotti phone currently works with:

http://www.biscotti.com/works-with

If you don't have a PC they say that you can use a cloud service.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  11. galfert

galfert Active Member

Logitech sent me a free TV Cam HD in exchange for the discontinued Revue camera. I like this TV Cam HD a lot better than the Revue camera. It just plugs into an HDMI port. It doesn't connect to GTV, but I'm OK with that. Video and sound are fantastic. I like that it is a Skype device.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

12. guest

guest Active Member

Here is some information directly from Biscotti received this morning in regards to an e-mail I had written to them last night about the Amazon comments. They say they are now SIP-based!
    ---
    Thanks for contacting Biscotti Support.

While we are aware of the reviews the fact is that Google is moving to the Hangout architecture for video calling and are not allowing 3rd parties to interoperate with them.

We are now a SIP based device which allows for much more interoperability than our previous Google support.

Unfortunately when making a change such as this you will see some negative feedback though the vast majority of our user base had no issue with it because we have provided other options to contact the Biscotti.

Being SIP based allows us to communicate with SIP based video conferencing equipment such as Cisco and Polycom, many custom SIP servers such as Broadsoft, Siemens Enterprise Solutions, Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson, etc., and SIP based services such as the BlueJeans Network or Zoom.

For people who do not have a Biscotti or own one of the above we also work with H264 SIP based softphone clients such as Bria and have browser based calling for users who have Windows 7 or 8.

You can find more information on these two means of contacting the Biscotti in the links below:
    How do I make a browser call to Biscotti from Windows 7 or Windows 8? : Biscotti Customer Support Help Desk
    How do I call Biscotti from other devices? : Biscotti Customer Support Help Desk

Please let us know if you need any additional information.

Biscotti Customer Support
    Mon - Fri 9AM to 6PM CT
    (888)551-0215

13. guest

guest Active Member

Hi. Can you tell us what Skype charges per month just to maintain the least expensive service plan with them - even if you don't use the service in a given month?

14. guest

guest Active Member

This Bria 3 softphone that Biscotti recommends is a $50.00 item!

15. guest

guest Active Member

I wrote the following to Biscotti, maybe someone will find the information of use:

"I feel that that Bria 3 softphone, at $50.00, is too expensive. I
    need to convince the called party to activate audio/video
    communications with me in some other manner than with the costly Bria
    3 softphone.

Again, the two called parties are using Windows-based laptops. They
    are able to initiate audio and video between themselves, through
    Facebook. I don't know if they are using Windows 7 or 8 or
    something lower. If they are using Windows 7 or 8, how else can they
    communicate with a Biscotti without using this Bria 3 softphone?

I think that this Biscotti product will meet my needs, but I need to
    be clear on what options the non-Biscotti-using called-party has."
    ---
    They replied:

"The other option is browser calling.

For instance if you have a Windows 7 or 8 PC using IE 10, Firefox, or Chrome you can actually go to the link:

Call A Biscotti

This will initiate a call with audio/video to our Test Call device.

Any Biscotti can actually be called using this method as the link will always look like Call A Biscotti.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to find a free soft phone application that supports H264 video because this codec requires licensing and has a cost associated with it.

Every time Bria is downloaded CounterPath actually has to pay a fee for the video license.

We are currently investigating other means of providing free ways to contact the Biscotti for users who do not own one."
    ----
    My question to the GoogleTVForum:

I don't use a computer, so I have no experience with the Windows ecosystem. Assuming the called-party is using Windows 6, is there a fee to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8? And for IE10 Firefox and Chrome, is there a cost to using those browsers? Thanks.

16. galfert

galfert Active Member

Skype is free. You only need to pay for calls if you call a real phone number. Skype device to other Skype device calls are free.

17. guest

guest Active Member

Thanks. The Logitech device appears to be Skype-specific, via a "built-in Skype app". Amazon.com: Logitech 960-000921 TV Cam HD for Skype Calls on HDTVs: Electronics

So as a Logitech device user, you couldn't go to this URL www. biscotti .com/ call/userid and reach a Biscotti user - as it's Skype-specific. (I don't think.)

Using your Logitech device, the called-party needs to go to the Skype website to participate in the videocall. So I don't see it as much of an inconvenience, either, for a Biscotti device user, to have their called-parties go to the Biscotti website to participate in a videocall. As well, it appears the Biscotti is far more interoperable with other services, if one chooses to purchase a Bria 3 softphone add-on at $50.00.

Is the Logitech device a non-interoperable, Skype to Skype "closed system"?

18. galfert

galfert Active Member

Yes the Logitech is Skype only. But the whole world is on skype. Skype is free on smartphone and on computers. It's the almost the universal standard. Some Sony TVs, & I believe maybe samsung too, even have Skype built in. There's even a sony blu ray player with Skype built-in. Skype is now owned by Microsoft. It isn't going to disappear.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  19. guest

guest Active Member

Can someone tell me the reason for the price differential in these three Logitech videophone-capable devices for HDTV? I have a Logitech Revue, but a Google TV isn't necessary for video-calling, just an HDTV. I'd just as soon go for the least expensive item, if it will do the job.

1) Amazon.com : Logitech TV Cam for Skype, HD Video Calling on Compatible Skype-Enabled TVs : Electronics - $55.00

2) Amazon.com: Logitech 960-000921 TV Cam HD for Skype Calls on HDTVs: Electronics - $167.58

3) Amazon.com: Logitech HDTV Widescreen Video Cam: Electronics - $34.00

20. galfert

galfert Active Member

1) only works on certain Panasonic TVs with Skype functionality built in.

2) works for anyone with and HDMI port available on their TV

3) nobody should buy this. It was intended for Revue owners. But the Logitech VidHD service that it only works with has been shut down by Logitech. Shame on retailers selling this as it doesn't work for other services. Won't work on Skype. Won't work on the intended service (VidHD). Won't work on anything. This is as useful as a brick.

I own the $167.58 Logitech TV Cam HD for Skype and I think it is a very decent product.

Currently no Google TV device is capable of video calling. The Logitech Revue used to, but not any more.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 2