Quantcast

Videon's aVia Media Player Launches As A Featured Google TV App

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 2, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Videon's aVia Media Player Launches as a Featured Google TV™ App - PR Newswire - sacbee.com (click for full article)

"STATE COLLEGE, Pa., Nov. 1, 2011 -- /PRNewswire/ -- Videon Central, Inc. (Videon), a leading software provider of media streaming technology and Blu-ray Disc (BD) middleware for the consumer electronics (CE) market, announced today that its aVia Media Player has launched as a Google TV™ featured application in Android Market™.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It's an interesting app but all I can do is get it to play local files. It won't find my Twonky Multimedia Server from my NAS or TVersity on my PC. The universal content catalog is really the only thing that sets this a part from the current Sony Media Player. Though, there is an beta option to enable DLNA server, but it must be early beta since none of my DLNA clients can find it.

EDIT:

Something irritating is that the REW and FWD buttons don't affect the app. You need to drag the time scrubber to advance or backup which is difficult to do with the Sony remote.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  3. TomTheMan

TomTheMan New Member

It Finds my External usb HD, but it won't play every type of file. No improvement from the original media player in my humble opinion.

4. XYinSD

XYinSD New Member

I like it a lot, it found everything on my Iomega Cloud NAS. Yeah it still doesn't play all formats but neither did the native Media player. And I still can't get album tracklistings to show up correctly in order. You can listen to music while browsing photos which is nice though.

5. Silas

Silas New Member

Hey guys,
    We appreciate y'all taking a look at aVia. A couple of things:
    Yeah, the lack of response from the ff and fr buttons kinda stinks, but you don't have to drag the scrubber. Just you the directional arrows to highlight it, then use the right and left arrows to jump a few seconds in either direction. Not as precise as the fast forward button but it is pretty close.
    I don't know why you aren't seeing twonky or TVersity. Both are servers we have been testing with, and we haven't had any problem seeing content from there. Best bet, you might be on a different subnet, but I can't help without more info.
    Lastly, the files we play depend on the platform you are on. We haven't included coded in codecs, so right now we just let android tell us if we can see or play a file. The original target was the Sony GTV blu-ray player, and that should play just about everything. If y'all want help, want to complain to management about how we do things, or just give our engineers a pat on the back, please visit our customer forum. (I am under 10 post so I can't link it, but its aviatheapp.com/forum) The more users show up there, the more support we can get for better features.:D

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Here is the link for you. AVIA Customer Forum

Well, I checked out your website and found the following video.

The difference between the results of that video and my setup is that only the Local option is available. I've also pressed the refresh symbol in the upper-left hand corner and allowed it to sit there for at least 10 minutes and no new options showed up. Now, I fully understand the suspicion with different subnets, afterall DLNA/uPNP clients send out a broadcast signal that can only reach the clients of the local subnet. However, the Sony Internet TV, my NAS (Twonky), my PC (TVersity, PlayON, and Media Player Sharing), and iPad/iPhone (Media:Connect) all exist on the same subnet. Furthermore, when I use the Sony's Media Player all off these different DLNA servers appear within a few seconds.

Time allowing, after my afternoon constitution I will submit a bug report on the aforementioned support forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  7. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

I like the overall look of the app, but like others, I have had zero luck getting it to recognize my NAS or media servers. I have an external HD attached via USB to my Buffalo router and even the Logitech MP recognizes it fine. It also doesn't like to recognize my PlayOn server. I thought originally it was because it runs in a Windows 7 VM, but I tried it through my regular Windows install and nothing. I also can't get it to recognize my MediaTomb install on Ubuntu. I was really starting to think it was my setup, but I'm wondering now.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I think they have some work to do. Yesterday, I registered an account with their site; however, I am unable to post anything. Checked my email even the spam folders and I didn't get an activation email or anything from them. This is all I get no matter which forum related activity is initiated.

I have sent them feedback, so I hope eventually they resolve the forum issue so that I can report the app issue.

9. PSUSha

PSUSha New Member

Hello Eferz,

I am sorry for the delay with your getting access to the aVia customer forum. We have had a lot of issues with spammers so now all new users must be approved by the admin. I have approved you for access to the forum. Please post a message so we can work with you to resolve the issues you are seeing.

Thanks

10. Silas

Silas New Member

Eferez,I am out of the office this week, but on Monday I will get out our Revue and see if I am seeing what you are. Sorry you are having so many problems, but we will see if we can get those cleared up for you, or at least figure out what is causing the l lack of dlna servers showing up and go from there.

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Thank you two for the responses. I have posted a new topic in your forums, "aVia Media Player: Unable to find networked DLNA servers." Essentially, I copied and pasted my post from here to there. The only additions I made was regarding to my setup and that I noticed the aVia Media Player had been updated yesterday.

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I believe that figured out the issue. If the Google TV device is connected via Wi-Fi and feeding a device through the Ethernet Port with the Private Network, then your application is only sending the DNLA/uPnP discovery broadcast to the Private Network and not the main network. In order to work around this problem, I had to disconnect the my Roku 2 XS from the Ethernet Port and reboot the Sony Internet TV. I can "trick" the aVia Media Player by making sure that the DLNA from my main network is showing and then connecting the Roku after wards. However, if the program exits or the system is rebooted then it goes back to the original problem.

13. MStrawder

MStrawder New Member

Going to give this a try and see if it solves my issue as I have my Dish DVR running off my Revue through ethernet.

14. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

This is the message posted this morning from their site.

15. shabu

shabu New Member

As a product support person, I was impressed to see the customer service displayed in this thread by Videon staff. A lot of companies are talking about using the internet to reach out and offer solutions, but this was an excellent real world example.

I had previously settled on a different media player, though it requires some compromise. After seeing your communication, I'll be looking at your product with a positive perspective.

• Like Like x 2
  16. lgspencer

lgspencer New Member

I just loaded this Avia player today, at was FINALLY to play all my media from my networked Windows 7 Laptop. All music and most video files played flawlessly. Only problem I had was playing WMC video recordings... I got picture but no sound.

This is SO much better than the app included with Google TV, I never could get that one to work.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Silas

Silas New Member

shabu: Thank you;
    Igspencer: I have seen the same thing with a few files. I think this is a codec thing. Android is a little touchy on which ones it supports, and we don't hard code any new codecs in. If you have a way, could you let us know (here or on our forum, I don't want to turn this into a help line) what the codecs are and I can try helping from there.
    And for those still having issues finding dlna servers, we do have thread on our forum up that we are discussing with eferz which may answer some of your questions or where you could give more input so we can all use the app better.

18. fkasten

fkasten New Member

aVia sees all the music, inc. iTunes playlists, on my Twonky Media Server. Everything plays great but it only shows a small subset of Album pics even though all are in iTunes.

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

In case anyone is interested in the issue with aVia discussed in this thread. Here's an update.

After two weeks, they finally understand the issue of using Google TV as a Ethernet to WiFi bridge. Apparently, aVia Media Player is using a slightly modified Java/Android UPnP libraries named, "Cling". The way they have it setup, it will only support one interface at a time. So, if anything is in the Ethernet port, then Cling will only check there. Basically, this means if you're using Google TV to feed network access to third party device then aVia Media Player is going to be useless to you as a DLNA client.

There is hope though, they claimed that there are new Cling libraries available which may resolve this particular issue. Even though the change logs on the 4th Line developer site did not indicate any updates. They did assure me that they require more time to investigate, and will add this to the list of items for a future release. If the new libraries don't pan out then they might consider in further augmenting them address this issue. However, they warned me that we probably won't see much headway on this until after CES. Which by the way, is being held from January 10th to the 13th, 2011.

20. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

I tried using this app. But it does not find my USB drive. The buggy Logitech Media player finds my USB drive tho.