Quantcast

Video_TS folders? Yes. Again..

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by ddiehl, Nov 2, 2011.

1. ddiehl

ddiehl New Member

Has anyone tested these yet? I have 300+ DVD's ripped to Video_TS folders on my WHS, and was wondering if the new update supports them..

Thanks...

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Nope, not even the new Plex for Android works on Video_TS folders. "Plex for Android may NOT be for you for any of the following reasons: You have VIDEO_TS, ISO or IMG videos in your library, which Plex does not support, and don't want to go to the effort of converting them to mkv, mp4 or another format that Plex does support."

Incidentally, it is the Video Object (.VOD) files within the Video_TS folder which actually contain the MPEG2 movies. Media Player should be able to play those by renaming them with the .MPG to play. Unfortunately, for most movies the INfOrmation (IFO) files are required to jump between the appropriate .VOB files to play the movie's entirety.

3. Hefe

Hefe New Member

That's one thing I was wondering about too. I also have a lot of DVDs ripped into their native file structure. Any recommendations for handling that? I currently have but am phasing out a SageTV HD200, which was nice because you tell it where your media files are, and it will find and play your DVDs from their folder structure.

If I have to virtually "re-rip" the DVDs to a compatible format, I guess it's not all that bad, but is there a format that retains the features of playing a real DVD? (Menus, features, etc.)

Anyone know of a player that's available, or may be coming, that would play them from their native structure?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You don't have to re-rip, you can use a multimedia conversion program like Format Factory or AVS Video Convertor. Both of them support batch processing so it not so bad if you have to work with a lot of files.

Nothing so far, the problem is that DVDs uses a propetary 16-bit virtual machine for its menu and video playback. On a computer with free range to the kernel, it is easy to duplicate. However, on Google TV which is limited by Google's SDK for the Dalvik VM it may very well be impossible. In order to duplicate this software on Android, Native Development Kit will need to be used. Although, that's not to say a developer couldn't to create an application to read the IFO files and play the VOB files accordingly. It's just trying to emulate full DVD playback on Google TV is a much bigger task than their SDK allows.

5. Hefe

Hefe New Member

Yes, that's essentially what I meant by "virtually" re-rip. It's in the original format, but on a different medium.

It's a shame GTV can't play them now...but who knows about the future. Google did buy SageTV after all...maybe some of what they did can make it into a future product...

6. HeathNutso

HeathNutso New Member

Boxee Box, Asus O!Play to name two (and that includes the DVD menus if it's a full DVD rip). But just about any real media player out there can play Video_TS folders (VOD).

EDIT: Also both of the media players I mention will play Blu-Ray rips directly too.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Ahh, okay. Sorry. I just get confused with certain interpretations and definitions. I associate "ripping" as copying data from a read-only medium to a read/write medium. I suppose some people like to compile the process of decryption, conversion, and reauthoring because there are a lot of tools which do. However, for sake of communication I like to say what I mean.

8. Hefe

Hefe New Member

Sorry I wasn't clear...I meant player (software) for GoogleTV, not a separate device.

I have a SageTV HD200 that plays them now, but I am replacing that with the GTV. I don't want to add more hardware.

9. Intimnasc

Intimnasc New Member

Actually AVA transcoder is a free WHS add in for the dashboard that will transcode all of those to MP4 files. Then you can stream them to your Revue through the built in DLNA server. Kind of clunky the way the DLNA server works but thats the best way I have found to do it. I use My Movies (which also is a dashboard add in) with Any DVDHD to rip to the server then I use AVA transcoder to transcode to a smaller file that streams better. The video is awesome on my 56" Samsung but you lose the surround sound I believe.

10. jTV

jTV New Member

playon works for me in playing vob files...

11. HeathNutso

HeathNutso New Member

Once again I think the whole point of this discussion is there should be no need to change the video format. There's enough memory in these GTV boxes to allow for full support of all formats.

I hope someone comes up with an app that will not only kill the need for DLNA, but also play all video formats.

12. Hefe

Hefe New Member

I'll have to try that. I've got Playon, but primarily to get Hulu and networks.

What I really want though, is a player with a friendly interface that my family can use. Something that looks like the Netflix app, but for your own DVDs.

13. Jamr

Jamr New Member

This describes Windows Media Center.