Quantcast

Video Unlimited Preview Coming to PlayStation 3

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by eferz, Sep 28, 2011.

1. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Scoop du Jour

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Sounds nice. Do you think any chance Sony puts this app on their Google TV devices? Or probably even better will they put Google TV on the PS3? There were rumors previously that Sony was going to put Google TV on the PS3 - but nothing has materialized yet. If they did it - it would be a HUGE boost for the Google TV platform.

3. CatfishRivers

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Sony Internet TV products already have an application called, "Qrocity", which has similar functionality. It wouldn't take too much for Sony engineers to expand on the application to provide the recommendations which is offered by Video Unlimited.

There were a lot of products at the same time frame which people eluded could run Google TV platform. Even during the release of the Vulkano, Moonsoon Multimedia's founder, Prabhat Jain, claimed it would be running Google TV as "a plug-in" soon after its release. The problem is that nobody at the time considered what the platform did nor the requirements of the Google TV platform. Most of them were diluted into thinking that universal search was all that Google TV encompassed. Another big mistake was not considering that the platform is centered around the Intel CE4100 series processor.

Personally, I think the Playstation 3 has too many common features with Google TV for Sony to try and overhaul the entire PS3 operating system or provide it as a virtual machine. It would take a great amount of effort in order for them to get all the native x86 code to run on PS3's cell processor. And there's no way that Sony is going to overhaul the hardware specs this late in the product's life to support Google TV naively. The most viable direction for Sony is to create and enhance applications for the PS3 which mimic the Google TV capabilities.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I love the PS3, years after purchasing it, new things are often added. What a great product and still a first rate Blu-ray player. I need to download this service and see what I think.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Google TV on the PS3 would be huge. Units is service would go from a few hundred thousand to tens of millions overnight.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I agree. The Blu-Ray player in the PS3 is the most software upgradeable device out there. For example, when 3D initially came out Sony soon released an updated the firmware to support it. Whereas a lot of stand-alone Blu-Ray players required you to buy the new version of their product. Sony proved that there's a right way to deploy future proofing into consumer electronics.

8. CatfishRivers

Is the web browser on the PS3 still really bad? I don't own a PS3 - but I had read several articles in the past that mentioned the web browser was not very good.

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It's not "that bad", it is just more limited than the Google Chrome Browser on Google TV.