Quantcast

Video: Honeycomb On Google TV!

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

A video showing how to get the software on and now I am going to give you an idea of what to expect from getting HoneyComb on your Logitech Revue.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

So that's just for now that the apps don't work, or, are they going to come out in the near feature??
    Seems like everything he tried failed tremendously, especially netflix, which I really don't see them not using,
    unless it won't be available to them yet, or just plain won't be...

Any other comments??

3. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Sorry Scott I forgot to post the Source Link (now fixed). I'm on a different computer. Maybe this will help?

Beta Build of Honeycomb for Google TV Leaked – Here’s What To Expect
    August 2, 2011

Hot on the heels of the Logitech Revue’s price drop to $99 comes more good news. The promised update of the Google TV OS (based on Android) may be available very soon.
    We got a taste of the new OS at Google I/O back in May. The new build is based on Honeycomb, which was pretty evident when they showed off a limited preview to the crowd of developers there to learn how to make apps for the platform. Now a beta version of the update is running free on the Internet for all brave enough to download and install it.

[​IMG]
    Before you rush to add the Honeycombified Google TV 2.0 to your Logitech Revue, be aware of a few things: First, this update is unofficial, and may render your Revue unable to receive official updates in the future. You’re going to want that ability, trust me. Second, while there is a sort of working Market included, one major app is missing: Netflix. Third, since the release hasn’t rolled out yet, there won’t be much you can do but look at how things might work in the future.

Lucky for all of us the folks over at Channel Android did a hands on with the beta so you don’t have to. Check out the video.

The first thing to notice is that the user interface underwent a big overhaul and now resembles the tablet version of Android more than a set-top box OS. I’m particularly intrigued by the widgets for the Home screen – other than Pandora and CNBC headlines, I hope to see things like alerts when the newest episode of your favorite show is available on Amazon VOD, or maybe a pre-load of the latest podcast in your queue. There are several great possibilities here.

The apps along the bottom can be customized, another good thing. I’m a Netflix user, and I want quick access to my favorite app right from Home. The app drawer/list of all apps is more like Android than the previous UI, giving more space to icons. This was probably necessary to keep users from having to do too much scrolling now that the Android Market is on board.
    [​IMG]
    Speaking of the Market, I wouldn’t be too disheartened by the small number of Apps for TV you see in the video. Since this is a beta build there are probably apps that just aren’t ready yet but will be. However, I hope Google makes it so TV users won’t see apps that won’t work on their devices. That can be confusing and frustrating for the less tech-savvy. Blake (the guy in the video) tried to install several apps, only to have the system tell him that they weren’t compatible.

The app buying/installing procedure looks simple enough. I wonder what will happen when users try to buy something and haven’t set up a Google Checkout account. If not handled well, that could be a big barrier to the purchase of apps.

I like the Notifications feature – again, I hope to see alerts relating to media I want to watch. It would also be nice if I could get a notification when I miss a call on the webcam. My father is forever getting on me about not returning these calls.

Overall, the thing I’m most excited about is the ability to install apps. Crossing my fingers that the selection will be good.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It could be that the current android app market is designed to work with ARM processors. The ARM apps won't work out-of-the box on the Intel x86 platform of Google TV. So it will take more time to have apps created that work with the Intel x86 architecture in Google TV.

5. tp76

tp76 New Member

So close yet so far away :p

6. 0157h7

0157h7 New Member

Hey guys, I am Blake and I did the video. I don't get around to this forum very often but I thought I would drop by. I made another video on how to sideload apps on this build on that same Channel Android youtube account and on our website. I have been trying to keep up with questions on the youtube video pages. If you guys have any questions feel free to ask here or head over to the youtube account or our site.

7. bren999

bren999 New Member

But where is the "connect" button located on the logitech revue as stated in the video for getting honeycomb on the revue. It says to hold it down when powering up the box but i cannot see a button?

nevermind found it and update is in progress... heres to a working media player :)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  8. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Yea, that seems to tell me a little more than the first video Rick, Thanks..