Quantcast

video formats.. what video formats, only 1 or two formats actually play

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by v_lestat, Aug 10, 2011.

1. v_lestat

v_lestat New Member

i just got my Revue today and after less than a 1/2 hour of playing around it is back in its box and an RMA has been created with Amazon.
    i have nearly 4 Terabytes of video on my Synology NAS and even though the Revue sees my DLNA share folders and can explore the folders the ONLY files it see's are MKV files and then not even all of them are seen.
    not a single one of my Gigantic video library of AVI files is seen by the Revue... not a single d*** one.
    every.. and i mean every single media device i own, even my phone can see and play the files i have on my Synology NAS.
    this is the first device i have ever had which will not SEE and subsiquently PLAY the files.

i do have a couple of terabytes of HD videos, many MKV, which it does see and play even though not all audio is supported.

WHY oh god WHY is there no option to change audio streams and subtitles.... i am a huge foreign film fan and 99% of the mkv and AVI files i have either have dual audio streams, or embedded selectable subtitles, or external subtitle files that i can load.
    and the stupid GoogleTV crap can't change audio streams, or enable/disable subtitles.
    i mean seriously? who the f*** designed this thing. Logitech doesnt list anything about this device on their site, i mean there is nothing.. anyone who says there is has some super secret magic portal to undocumented logitech materials,
    Even important stuff like web video brings the Revue to its knees, this device is a multimedia turd.
    There is zero documentation that i could find which CLEARLY states what video formats are supported.
    It is completely retarded and unreasonable for Logitech and Google to make a product that can not browse a windows/mac/linux network. period.. rediculous.
    99% of the world doesnt even know what DLNA is let alone know how to set it up and use it.

my seagate freeagent theater plus, which has a tony little video decoding chip can play mkv hd 1080p video up to around 10-12mbps encoding rates.
    this thing will play them fine also but my standard definition library of Divx and Xvid AVI files is terbaytes larger than my HD library and this crazy device doesnt even know what they are.... it doesnt even recognize them as a viewable file format.
    its like searching for avi files but mispelling it and it doesnt find anything.

here are the AWESOME tech specs Logitech lists for this supposed awesome device.

Technical Specifications
    • HDMI input: 1080p/60fps, 1.3a w/ CEC
    • HDMI output: 1080p/60fps, 1.3a w/ CEC
    • Networking:
      • Wireless: 802.11a/b/g/n
      • Wired: Ethernet 10/100 Base-T
    • Audio optical output (S/PDIF)
    • 2 USB 2.0 ports
    • Integrated Logitech Harmony┬« Link IR blaster (for A/V device control)
    • Logitech Unifying wireless technology
    is that not the most impressive set of specs ever form a manufacturer?
    uhm.. where does it say what video format's are supported????????????????????????

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The documentation is on their support page. Below are the video formats which are currently compatible for Google TV in its current form, though apparently there will be more support in Android 3.1.

File ContainerVideo StreamAudio StreamText Stream
    .MKVH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .FLVH.264/MPEG-4 AVC and H.263AACNA
    .MTSH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .MT2SH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .TSH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .AVIH.264/MPEG-4 AVC, DivX MPEG4, and Xvid MPEG4AACNA
    .MOVH.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA
    .MP4H.264/MPEG-4 AVCAACNA

The Logitech Media Player and Sony Media Player for Google TV definitely needs a lot of work.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  3. volwrath

volwrath New Member

They have added more formats definitely, as alot of the .avi files I have have mp3 as the audio layer, and they play ok. It is rather interesting as I have video files that are Xvid and identify as Xvid ISO MPEG-4 and they play fine, yet I have other files that identify as XviD 1.2 SMP, yet are flagged as MPEG-4, but they dont play.

Playon is my general answer to this madness, but it doesnt work too well with googletv, so I am forced to go to xbox for those :(

Also I have alot of .m4vs that wont play even though they are essentially .mp4 files. I may have to play with the hc beta ... :)

4. dhotiram

dhotiram New Member

i have had my revue for 2 days now and it's a great device with an excellent Google Tv OS. everything works seamlessly but the logitech media player just plain sucks. i also have a Acer revo HTPC with boxee installed on it and it plays every video format on the planet. media content on the boxee is quite similar to the logitech revue.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Some formats I would like to see supported in the future: Xvid, DivX, Silverlight, MMS, WMV, Windows Media Player, Quicktime, Octet-stream.

6. dhotiram

dhotiram New Member

hopefully with the honeycomb update, we'll be able to install a 3rd party player like mobo or something else to play different formats.

7. gtv

gtv New Member

I thought XVID and Divx are supported???

8. CatfishRivers

I'm not sure about the media player for local files. I'm talking about whenever I try to stream an XVid or DivX video from a web site - it always says I'm missing the plug-in and I need to download it.

9. gtv

gtv New Member

What websites stream Divx and XVID? The only ones Ive come across that claim that are malware sites, they want you to install a "special" codec.

10. CatfishRivers

I don't remember all of the sites off-hand - but here is one that I just came across (that has links to movies on various hosts) that use a DivX player for Windows. This is why I was saying Google TV needs to be able to stream videos for Windows as well the different formats/players for VidX and XVid Home | Watch Movies Free Online at Free Divx Movies

I
    just came across this site that has some links to the movie Arthur. The first 2 links under the Flash section from the "browserdl" host say it's missing an Xvid codec and I need to download it. I've seen this before numerous times. Is this legit or some sort of scam? http://www.watchonmegavideo.com/2011/04/watch-arthur-megavideo-2011-online.html

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  11. surprisinguy

surprisinguy New Member

I too have a large collection of avi media that didnt show up under my DNLA server (tversity free). I found that when I reformatted the avi with AAC audio it miraculously was listed.
    So if I find a movie I want to watch I've just been reformatting them beforehand, usually takes about 30 mins or so.
    I'm also thinking that with the 3.1 update that the media player will probably be updated OR we will be able to use a media player of choice from the Android Marketplace - though I'm not very familiar with any at the moment. About all you can say is it can only get better!

12. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

Mezzmo seems to see every file i can throw at it... weird ones too odd made flv and stuff... never has missed an avi yet... and mezzmo provides a nice profile made just for the revue.. would post a link but cant with revue so google Mezzmo.. its quite nice and should do till come due..

13. v_lestat

v_lestat New Member

i use my synology NAS and it has never once failed me with A N Y DLNA device... except this.
    i had to change a few settings that i would never change and have never had to change for other devices and now the Revue see's the files and plays some of them.
    and last night it wouldnt play anything, it acted like it started to play some but there was nothing but a black screen where just the day before i played them fine.
    BUT
    now none of my other DLNA devices see any DLNA shares.... so guess what device is the weakest link?

YES i like the web browsing
    YES i like the way it integrates with my MEdiacom Cable TV
    YES i like the full netflix experience - vs. the Que only with my Seagate Freeagent+

BUT.... as a local media player.... forget it
    total, complete, without question,,, failure!

so what does this mean?

it means that if i were to keep it, then i would have yet another device hooked up,,, more remote(s), more wires, more everything.
    It also means that the cable box is the only thing i can have plugged into it and all my other devices have to go thru their normal switching and AV inputs.
    if i run everything thru my home theater receiver and out to the revue, the revue refuses to "pair up" with my cable box...

can anyone tell me if the Honeycomb beta (which i am not going to install) updates the system to include more media (movie files) compatability?
    i sure hope so because thats the only thing that is stopping this thing from being one helluva device!
    ok that and better handling of everything because it is pretty clunky.

oh my god,, this thing doesnt even have an off button.. seriously logitech???

am i whining and bitching.. yes.
    if i wasnt a movie lover, and have such a huge library of digital media i would be praising this thing up and down.
    i want this thing to integrate with my home... but logitech doesnt seem to understand the meaning of integration.

14. volwrath

volwrath New Member

YES! This is very sad. As everyone readily admits the potential is there. I love the integration with my STB, even though search doesn't work on my dvr media. In fact I love everything about this box except the codec support. And its this codec support that is my top priority! Being able to play any flash videos on my tv is great, but it seems like I only have a 30% of playing my media. That blows! I still haven't decided on whether or not I am going to send it back.HC is supposed to support more codecs, but I wonder if it will catch up with my 360 or PS3. Im not holding my breath. IMO this is why sales have been abysmal for logitech!

15. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

I have two AVI files which are Part 1 and Part 2 of the same movie which I tried to play from a USB drive attached to the Revue. The Revue is running 2.1 update1. Below are the characteristics I got from both AVI files. AVI File 1 plays fine in the Revue, but AVI File 2 fails to play with a message that says: "Player Error - Unable to play video". Not a very helpful message. Both files play fine in my laptop using WMP on Windows 7. Can someone tell me what is/are the specific characteristic(s) of these AVIs files that allows one to play and not the other? I'd like to identify these characterisitcs before I bother copying a bunch of large AVI files to the USB drive.

AVI File 1
    -----------
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 700 MiB
    Duration : 52mn 17s
    Overall bit rate : 1 872 Kbps
    Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 (build 2540/release)
    Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2540/release

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
    Format settings, BVOP : 2
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
    Codec ID : XVID
    Codec ID/Hint : XviD
    Duration : 52mn 17s
    Bit rate : 1 416 Kbps
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 272 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.325
    Stream size : 530 MiB (76%)
    Writing library : XviD 62

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Codec ID : 2000
    Duration : 52mn 4s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 448 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 167 MiB (24%)
    Alignment : Split accross interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 40 ms (1.00 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms

AVI File 2
    -----------
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 700 MiB
    Duration : 55mn 8s
    Overall bit rate : 1 774 Kbps
    Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 (build 2540/release)
    Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2540/release

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
    Format settings, BVOP : 2
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Muxing mode : Packed bitstream
    Codec ID : XVID
    Codec ID/Hint : XviD
    Bit rate : 1 316 Kbps
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 272 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.302
    Stream size : 519 MiB (74%)
    Writing library : XviD 62

Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Codec ID : 2000
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 448 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 177 MiB (25%)
    Alignment : Split accross interleaves
    Interleave, duration : 40 ms (1.00 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration : 500 ms

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

They look like standard AVI file containers with Xvid MPEG4 video stream and AAC audrio stream. Hmm... Have you tried turning on Windows Media Player Sharing from your computer? Try streaming the same file to see if there's a difference.

17. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

As suggested, I streamed the files two AVI files using WMP sharing. AVI File 1 plays fine, but I get the same generic error message from the Revue when I try to play File 2. Maybe the Logitech Media Player has issues with small imperfections in files media and it's unable to recover and continue playing like other media players do. Does anyone know of a utility I can use to fix imperfections in AVI files?

18. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Try converting them into MP4s with H.264 video and AAC audio with Format Factory. You'll see that it is a more universally supported format which has hardware accelerated decoding on more devices than any other format. Otherwise, just google for avi fixer and should see plenty of options. Though most of them will just do a mock conversion to the same format which rewrites the streams, as opposed to surgically resolving the problem bits in the stream.

19. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

Thanks for the tip and the utility recommendation. Converting the AVI file to MP4s with H.264 video and AAC audio using Format Factory worked. Now I just have to go over my AVI library and try converting those AVI files that don't play nice with the Revue.

20. rrrobertsson

rrrobertsson New Member

I use Format Factory - it is the best