Quantcast

Video files from PC

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by lvmayor, Jul 3, 2011.

1. lvmayor

lvmayor New Member

How do I stream video files from my PC over to my GTV (I have the Sony TV, so it's built in). Is this even possible? Thanks in advance.

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

You can do it with Playon.tv and you should be able to use the software to stream your video files over to the google tv for free using what they call a playon lite license which is supposedly free and allows you to access pandora as well as youtube.

You need to install vlc to use the my media function of playon as well. you can get vlc at VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework! and playon at Watch Internet Videos on Your TV | PlayOn

3. lvmayor

lvmayor New Member

Thanks, I will try that out.

4. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

Depending on what format the files are in, and also if there us any DRM, you could also try a DLNA solution like Twonky. GTV doesn't have full DLNA support, but it is adequate for video...

5. daddypants

daddypants New Member

6. kes601

kes601 New Member

TwonkyServer has worked best for me, and because of the way it index files, the video files you have will show up in your general Google TV searches. My videos are all H.264 or regular Mpeg4 video files, all are playing flawlessly.

7. bidger

bidger Member

Well, I gave that a spin, but am still unable to play .ts video files or .flac audio files. Is there a plug-in I'm missing?

8. moch311

moch311 New Member

PS3 media server works ok. you have to configure to make it play everything. but if you are connecting your pc straight to GTV, you need a
    video card that supports sound as well. either with DVI or HDMI cable. I am currently using DVI to HDMI:
    this is the video card I bought:
    [h=1]ZOTAC ZT-84GEK2M-HSL GeForce 8400 GS Video Card - 1GB, GDDR2, PCI Express 2.0 (x16), DVI, HDMI, DirectX 10.1[/h]
    To my surprised it passed audio directly to the GTV speakers. The video was not extreme but it was very decent even though the card was very cheap.

9. daddypants

daddypants New Member

sorry man, i suppose those are two formats it won't play. i haven't had any experience with .ts format, but total video converter has been a great tool for putting my odd formatted stuff like that into a more universal format that all my devices can use from an hdd, Total Video Converter -- AVI to MPEG Converter, Convert Video Youtube FLV to MPEG Converter,AVI to DVD Converter,AVI to DivX Converter. it'll turn your .ts into H.264 that'll play perfectly on your GTV and most other machines, and there is no loss of quality.

for streaming purposes i have a music file of mp3s in 320 kbps, and for the best of my collection (pink floyd for example) i also have a music file in flac format on a different drive that i can play when plugged in. though there is a difference in the sound quality, its almost non existent on an average player. so if you are just streaming your music to the GTV then putting your stuff into mp3 format at 320 kbps will be perfect for your needs. if you have a sick stereo then you'll wanna use cords anyway to get the best sound quality. my favorite converter for my music is format factory, http://www.formatoz.com/, its free and fast. it does video too, but total video converter is faster and better for videos.

10. bidger

bidger Member

Yeah, it's just the idea of converting all those files...

Guess I just got spoiled by my Logitech Squeezebox Duet.

Thanks for the suggestions.

11. ehartye

ehartye New Member

I've not had my twonky videos show up in searches yet. Is there a setting to enable this?

12. mdloops

mdloops New Member

Tversity works better for transcoding, but I agree PlayOn is the best for internet media.