Quantcast

Video Demo Leaks Out Future Google TV Features; Voice-Activated Remote Control & More

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by dgstorm, Oct 15, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

How does controlling your TV with your voice instead of a traditional remote sound? Supposedly that may be exactly what the next iteration of Google TV may bring. A video demo of features for the next version of Google TV leaked out temporarily, but before it was yanked folks got to see some of Google's plans for the future. Probably the most stand-out new feature is full voice-control for the product. Here's a quote with some of the details,

One other interesting feature was teased, the video also demoed tablet connectivity. This would basically allow a Google TV to relay content over to a smaller display on your tablet, like SmartGlass.

Although Google TV has been mostly a fledgling flop (as far as sell-through numbers are concerned), it's great to see that Google hasn't given up on it, and that it may, in fact have a very bright future. Who else is looking forward to this?

Source: Google TV v3 teaser: More Effective Voice Search

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

IMO things such as voice search, the leaked "mini-guide", etc. are nice for some users (provided that they will function well) - but not "game-changers" in and of themselves. These things alone will not magically transform GTV into a big hit. If there is a native way to fling content from a tablet/phone (without requiring downloading additional apps) - back and forth with GTV that would be a very desirable feature.

Also "reworking" the interface for the umpteenth time won't save GTV.

This is my list of things that could potentially be game changers for GTV:

1) NDK support

2) native video camera and skype support

3) full integration with Google Hangouts

4) More Content. Oh and did I mention "More Content"! -;)

5) More apps

6) Overall less buggy performance and smoother operation (less Aw Snap! messages, freeze-ups, Shockwave crashes, rebooting, etc.)

7) A unique exclusive GTV content subscription package (the Super GTV Prime subscription package anyone? -:) ) - possibly including a 24 hour GTV network, original shows made only for GTV).

8) IMO a nice optional lightweight full GTV bluetooth keyboard would improve GTV sales.

9) Better and fuller integrations with the TV service providers such as Comcast. The full integration with Dish Network is nice. That was announced at the GTV launch - however since then it's become rather obvious that the other major TV providers have little interest in giving GTV access to full integrations. If GTV could somehow crack this nut - it would be a much bigger deal than voice integration (for the future of the GTV platform).

10) Support for Chrome plug-ins

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

I would like to add #11 in that keeping our browser up to date!One thing I like about my GTV over my Roku is the fact it will upvert Netflix from 720P to 1080P on their movies.My Sony GS7 is what the old MSNTV2 should have been.Gosh we paid $200 for that outdated piece of junk eight years ago.Shame on you Microshaft! :mad:

4. DFox5

DFox5 New Member

5. I agree - more apps like ----> VUDU <-------

There are lots of apps now but 99% of it is worthless junk. It would help if a lot of them were removed or at least make a new category named "junk" and put them in there so I don't have to look through a thousand of them to find the one I want.

And slow down a bit with the new stuff. How about more support for the stuff we already own which at the time costs more than what is available now. The money from all that stuff we bought is supporting your new products so you should do more for what we already have.

An idea for remotes. I think it needs a button for exit because with some apps, it's hard to do a clean exit. A menu bar along the top of Chrome with icons like home, etc. I find it hard to use Chrome on the GT1.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  5. DFox5

DFox5 New Member

I want to add something and I have said it before.

I have the NSZ-GT1 and if just had Vudu, I think it would be unbeatable. I just put Samsung TV's and Sony bluray players in the bedrooms and thought about replacing the GT1 with a Sony bluray but I just can't give up the GT1 for two reasons:

1. The Sony keypad remote included with the GT1 is the best there is. It controls my TV, amp, cable box, and the GT1 plus it has a keyboard and mouse built in.

2. Primetime - There is nothing even close to that. It makes finding what's on TV very easy. I have Charter and it brings up every channel and displays the shows like a dvd box cover. It will also let me remove a channel like those channels in a language I don't speak.

So while Google is off in the wild blue yonder trying to find what's going to be the thing that gets everybody using Google TV, they should stop and look at what they already have.

6. DFox5

DFox5 New Member

Sorry but I think the war is over and Vudu has won with Ultraviolet about to get into the game. Everybody wants to be the content provider and the one bringing in the money but unless it is better than Vudu, it won't happen. It's like several years ago when lots had a Yahoo page and now they have a Facebook page.

7. DFox5

DFox5 New Member

While I'm in here, one more thing I would like to see.

I use the remote that comes with the GT1 and it does all but one thing which I have to get my TV remote and use it. I wish the remote had an "Aspect" button for when the screen is a narrow strip or square and doesn't fill the screen.

8. leo76

leo76 New Member

I have experienced of google TV which one have excellent feature. Have you tried the Grooveshark app on your Revue? Works on my google TV.

leo76