Quantcast

Video Calls and Webcam with GTV Jellybean devices (Workaround)

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Sep 14, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I came across an interesting thread in which a GTV user (with a Hisense Jellybean television) said that he's able to sideload the Hangouts app (and also the new Hangouts Dialer app). Then along with a cheap USB Webcam he can make Video Calls on his Hisense Jellybean television:

Has anyone found a functional way to make video calls on a GTV? I have a GA6400…

I tend to think that this will only work with GTV devices on the Jellybean update. (I haven't tried this with GTV devices on the Honeycomb update).

Also I have read that the upcoming Android TV OS doesn't officially support USB webcams - but maybe this workaround will function with some of the Android TV devices when they come out.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  2. CatfishRivers

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  3. CatfishRivers

I believe there is a chance that if both the Hangouts app and Google Play Services app are sideloaded onto second generation GTV boxes (GTV devices with the ARM processor) - that Hangouts can be used with a microphone (but no webcam). It's my understanding that the GTV OS supports microphones on second generation GTV devices. If somebody tries this please post your results......

4. CatfishRivers