Quantcast

Vevo To Launch Traditional TV Channel, Graduate From YouTube

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Mar 13, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Vevo To Launch Traditional TV Channel, Graduate From YouTube | Fast Company (click for full article)

by Austin Carr - March 12, 2013

"Today at SXSW, Vevo plans to introduce Vevo TV, a "fully programmed, linear, 24/7, lean-back experience," CEO Rio Caraeff tells Fast Company, which he stresses will be "more TV-like" than the traditional Vevo experience.

What does it mean to be more TV-like? Vevo's music video service, which receives most of its traffic through its integration with YouTube, has long been about the one-off experience: Users could find and watch videos on-demand through search and recommendations. But now, Vevo's new television channel will offer an around-the-clock curated experience of original programming, including live concerts and TV shows. It will not only help up ramp up viewership on Vevo, which already sees 52 million monthly uniques, but also serve as a push to disassociate the company from YouTube.

At launch, Vevo TV will be available as an always-on broadcast channel through apps on iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Xbox, Roku, and on Vevo's website. The experience is multicast, meaning, "everybody sees the exact same thing at the exact same time, no matter what platform you're accessing it from," says Caraeff, who adds that the channel will serve as a complement to its on-demand business: When users jump into a show late, they'll be able to flag it to watch it on-demand later. Like traditional television, it will come with a 24-hour schedule of programming blocks, and soon feature hosts and VJs, operating much the same way as MTV did in its early days."

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

Vevo Launches Linear Web Network With an Eye on Cable | Adweek (click for full article)

"Music videos are coming back to your TV, 24 hours a day. MTV has nothing to do with it. And neither do any computer algorithms.Instead, Vevo, which was built as the ultimate on-demand hub for music videos on the Web, is rolling out Vevo TV, a linear, programmed network that will live on both the Internet and TV. To start, the new Vevo TV will be accessible on Vevo.com, in app form on Apple, Android and Windows tablets and phones, and on TV via Roku and Xbox (but notably, not YouTube). Beyond the Web, the hope is to eventually launch an old-school cable network, said Michael Cerda, Vevo's svp, product and technology.

Vevo TV, which debuts today, will feature hour-long programming blocks centered around musical artists and genres. If you have a particular video you want to see, you'll have to wait for it, like millions did in the 1980s when Thriller was on heavy rotation on MTV (which continues to have a number of 24-hour digital music channels). In addition, expect lots of artist interviews and live concerts on the new net."

3. CatfishRivers

Vevo has not yet released their new VevoTV app for GTV devices. And their web site will only work unless you change your GTV user agent to "generic". It seems GTV is always the last one invited to the party (if they're ever invited at all) -:( If you go to the Vevo web site with your GTV browser on "default" setting - you will be greeted with the following message:

"We are working on a new VEVO for Google TV. So please follow us on Twitter @VEVO or on Facebook for the latest news.

VEVO is always available online and via apps for your favorite phone or tablet,"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blah, blah, blah. That rhetoric sounds strangely familiar......

New Music Videos, Premieres, Concerts and Original Shows | VEVO.com

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  4. CatfishRivers

On the Vevo web site with my Logitech Revue (OS 3.1) and the user agent set to "generic" - I'm able to stream video-on-demand - however for the live VivoTV feed - I just get a black screen. Has anyone else tried this on your GTV device? If so please indicate your findings (and which GTV device and update version you are on). Thanks....

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

I'm not getting a blank screen. Just can't find the live shows on the URL you posted. Are you sure it is up & running already? I can try it out on the Revue & GS7.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CatfishRivers

Carl when I go to the VEVO web site (from the link I posted) with my Logitech Revue (OS 3.1) - there is a pop-up window on the bottom left of the screen that says "VEVO TV" and mentions "Live now information". The popup screen is black but it can be clicked on to go full screen. After I click to go full-screen there is an option to connect with Facebook and it says VEVO TV beta. However the screen is black and I see no live TV stream. Connecting with my Facebook account did nothing.

* You need to go to the VEVO web site with your GTV user agent set to "generic".

**Here is a link for information about VEVO TV from the VEVO web site. You can also click where it says "Watch Now" on the VEVO TV information page. They have the Live TV schedule up now so I definitely think the service is up and running.

http://www.vevo.com/about/vevo-tv

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013