Quantcast

Using US version of Sony NSZ-GS7 in UK

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by psychopomp1, Sep 5, 2012.

1. psychopomp1

psychopomp1 New Member

Hi
    I'm in UK and just about had enough of my Boxee Box with its many fw bugs which Boxee support aren't fixing. I mainly use the Boxee for watching live premiership footy through its browser and for Netflix USA...i believe the US version Sony NSZ-GS7 does these easily. A few questions before i ask my cousin in US to buy & ship me one:

1) Can someone confirm that you CAN enter DNS server address in the NSZ-GS7? Obviously being in the UK i use unblock-us.com to access netflix USA on boxee. I did look in the online manual of the NSZ-GS7 but couldn't find anything re: entering DNS server addresses.

2) I believe the GS7 can be used with a Sky HD box via HDMI cable as UK users are doing this but obviously using a UK version GS7. Am i likely to have problems connecting a US version GS7 to my Sky HD box?

3) Finally i'm aware that the US version of GS7 will come with an american style power plug but i presume its 110-240v and so can be used in UK just by using a simple adaptor rather than a voltage converter?

Cheers :)

2. psychopomp1

psychopomp1 New Member

I believe there is a netflix app on the UK version now so will probably go for this if i change the DNS server on it to access Netflix USA. Could someone please confirm that the DNS server can be manually changed on the Sony NSZ-GS7?

3. callanish

callanish Member

Late reply, but since no one else has chimed in, I can only speak for the Revue. Since both the Sony NSZ-GS7 and Revue run the 3.2 O.S, I am pretty confident that the DNS server can be changed manually within the network settings of the Sony. I've ran unblock-us and now run unotelly on my Revue and it works great. You've probably made a purchase already with buying the Sony, so check back and tell us if you've had any issues.

4. chopper

chopper Active Member

Why not just buy the UK version and run Unblock anyway?

5. psychopomp1

psychopomp1 New Member

Thanks guys, yes i will probably go for a UK box. However after further research, it appears a DNS server address can only be entered on the NSZ-GS7 when it is connected by ethernet cable...NOT when its connected by wifi. Is someone able to confirm this? Cheers

6. Bergzabern

Bergzabern New Member

There are fields for entering manual DNS but will not accept.
    When I enter DNS 1 and 2 the red triangle
    disappears but remains on the IP address etc. I re enter the IP address
    the warning goes away and the accept button on bottom highlights allowing
    me to accept. The problem is the unit goes off line until I go out of the
    static mode and back into DHCP which of course reverts back to the original
    settings. All I can get in this mode is netflix canada and youtube. Is
    there any way I can get the unit to accept my DNS?

I enventually resolved the issue by changing the DNS in the router.

7. chopper

chopper Active Member

Were you able to get USA Netflix working from outside the USA with this fix?

Also to the UK user, the cable box your cable provider is using would have to be one also used in the USA in order to work with a USA GTV box. This is how I was able to use a USA box in Canada mind you without the ability to get the Primetime App working as the USA box will not accept a Canadian location code.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  8. callanish

callanish Member

My mistake

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013