Quantcast

Using The Remote As Your Universal Remote

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by MSmithGTV, Aug 29, 2012.

1. MSmithGTV

MSmithGTV New Member

Hey folks,

Just wondering how usable the remote is as a universal remote. The devices I have in my setup are an Onkyo A/V Receiver, Samsung TV, and a Verizon FIOS Cable Box. All connected via HDMI. I currently use a Harmony 880 remote, but I'd love to use the Vizio Co-Star's remote instead as my universal remote (as I don't love the Harmony believe it or not). It sounds like this can be done. True? If so, does it work well? I know some complain of missed key presses, but putting those aside...

I actually also have a PS3, and an HTPC, (both also connected via HDMI) but to use those I just switch the inputs on my receiver and switch over to either a controller or keyboard/mouse.

2. MSmithGTV

MSmithGTV New Member

<cough>

3. Latenter

Latenter New Member

It might depend on exactly what you need in a universal remote, but I'm happy with it for my purposes. My Co-Star is connected to a Denon receiver and and an Epson projector. I have it set so that volume up/down go to the receiver and tv power is the projector's on/off. Channel up/down could easily go to a set top box/dvr, but I don't have one in my setup.

You can also have the Co-star do HDMI commands (power on/off, etc) but I haven't messed with them. If you want fine grain control over everything, or need to power off your receiver, it might not be ideal, but for avoiding other remotes the majority of the time it works great.

4. rehughe

rehughe New Member

Does the Co-Star remote have the capability to turn on/off a Receiver, Set Top Box, and TV?

I'm using a Revue right now, and it very easily can power on and off my AVR/STB/TV. I would only get a Co-Star if it also has this functionality.

5. scan

scan New Member

I have a few questions and maybe some answers, I have a similar setup as MSMITH ,, if i set up my Sharp LCD then my A/V receiver, the A/V receiver over writes the volume control for the TV, , I haven't found a way to change between the TV volume and the A/V volume.
    I also have my Xbox set as my DVD player, but i have no idea how to change the remote from DVR to DVD , i tried pressing and holding the V button, but don't see how to do this, anyone know how??

Also for rehuge, if your just using your TV, DVR (fios) and costar its great, but it cant turn on and off my other devices, nor as i said above i cant find a way to switch between the devices