Quantcast

Using Sony NSG-MR1 Remote to Control Apple TV Gen 2

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Ironman, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Ironman

Ironman New Member

Thanks in advance.....I'm having a heck of a time resolving my issue and hoping I can get some help from you guys! I've spent about three days reading posts and searching the site without any luck.

I've got a Sony NSX-46GT1 TV and an Apple TV Gen 2. I would like to control this Apple TV box using the Sony NSG-MR1 remote. No problem connecting the ATV box to the Google TV.....no problems with setup. My issue is that the IR Blaster code 22615 doesn't seem to work. I can't get any keys on the remote to trigger the Apple TV. During setup, the only suggested code is 22615....

Any ideas? Mind sharing how you are currently using both Apple TV and Google TV and your setup?

(I should also mention that I'm not real keen on streaming the content to the Google TV media player as a work around......)

2. Ironman

Ironman New Member

Really? No one is trying to use the Apple TV appliance with their Sony Google TV?

3. DrRipco

DrRipco New Member

I have both but don't use them together.

The problem is likely with the pairing, or lack of, and I'm not sure you will be able to get it to work. On Apple products that use a remote, any remote can control any device, so if you lose one, find another at a garage sale, you can use it as a replacement for any of their devices.

The general procedure is to hold the menu and left button for 6 seconds to unpair, then right button and menu for 6 seconds to pair.

It's possible if you just do the first step, using the original apple remote, that the atv2 will go back to factory and the code the Sony gave you will work. If it doesn't (and not saying it will), I rather doubt the Sony remote will permit a multiple key entry like that. I'm going to guess menu is like Fn+DVR (pop up/menu) so you would have to use Fn+DVR+right arrow on the pad to pair it, and likely that is going to be an illegal key sequence.

It's sort of the same problem with using some universal remotes like the Harmony. Some people get lucky, some others never get it to work. Check the setup guide for the atv2 from apple's site, it has all the info for the pairing/unpairing. It's not the Sony remote that is the problem, your ATV2 is configured for a different coding.

4. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

Just make sure the code is correct for the apple TV unit.. After that it's easy the one thing you must remember is the menu key is really the FN+DVR button on the remote.. There is no special setup for this just make sure your IR blaster is pointing or covering the apple TV's IR port... It should work no problem..

5. Ironman

Ironman New Member

Perfect. That did the trick. Unpairing the Apple remote was the step I was missing. Works great now....thanks!

6. NeedHelpWithGTV

NeedHelpWithGTV New Member

Hi Ironman,

I have been trying this now for hours and it just won't do anything. Whenever I get to the "Send Power" button the following happens: NOTHING. Supposedly it should turn off (or on) my AppleTV, but no reaction at all. I did all the pairing/unpairing, but that has no impact at all.

Here are my steps:

0. Unpair Apple Remote (btw even though I unpair it, it still works - not sure if this is correct?)

On Sony Google TV:
    1. System Settings
    2. Video input
    3. Configured devices
    4. Add device manually
    5. HDMI 1 --> NEXT button
    6. Network Video Player
    7. Apple
    8. Send Power Button
    END : NOTHING

You seem to have it working. Can you exactly describe the steps again how you got it to work?

Please note I am on GTV 3.1 (honeycomb) and I have an AppleTV 2 attached.

Thanks in advance!

7. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

There is no power button on the apple tv 2. when you get to that step just accept it or hit the menu button if you see it respond your good. There is no special set up.. It should just work.. Just make sure you set the control profile in the GTV and make sure your ir blaster is placed properly.. It should work..

8. Ironman

Ironman New Member

Maconsultant is exactly right. Just ignore the power signal test in the wizard. The remote buttons work great.....except it is totally stupid that you have to hit FN + DVR for the MENU button. When I told my wife how to use it she started laughing. We are already back to using the Apple TV remote. Plus...I HATE the GTV upgrade. Ruined the product IMO.

9. seanomcq

seanomcq New Member

Hi all,
    I just bought the sony google tv and have apple tv2 hooked up and working just fine. I would also like to consolidate remotes, but it doesn't seem like these steps are working any longer after the update. I use the following steps:

1. unpaired apple remote (remote still works)
    2. FN + 1 for google tv settings
    3. Video Input
    4. HDMI Settings
    5. Device List
    6. No devices are found - click enable - still no devices found

This is where I am stuck. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help!

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You would manually add the Apple TV2 according to the connected HDMI input. Since the ATV2 is not a HDMI-CEC compliant device, it won't show up under the devices found.