Quantcast

Using CoStar with Cable but no Cable Box

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by tn_outside, Nov 28, 2013.

1. tn_outside

tn_outside New Member

OK....this is beating me up. I am looking at purchasing a smaller, cheaper HDTV for a back room. I would like to plug a CoStar into the new TV. But I don't want to pay the cable company another rental fee for another cable box. But I still want the cable tv signal to pass through the box (PrimeTime app, using the remote to change channels, etc).

So is there any way to get the cable/PrimeTime app signals into the CoStar without having a cable box with an HDMI out? I cannot think of a way to get the CoAxial signal to pass through the CoStar...short of smashing the cable into the HDMI-in port with a hammer....and I am pretty certain that this method will not work.

The problem, as I see it, is that my new TV will be running cable directly off of the coaxial, plugged directly into the TV. And the CoStar will use an HDMI port. So essentially my cable and my CoStar will use separate inputs and I will not be able to pass the Cable signal through the box, not be able to use PIP (for cable), etc. But I want to plug the CoAxial into the CoStar.

Am I missing something?

Anyone?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

An unsubscribed TiVoHD connected by HDMI will pass the cable signal, very inexpensive box used now. I have done this with OTA, not an unscrambled cable signal but that won't matter. If you want to do it without a box of some sort to receive the signal, there will be no way to have the GTV overlay. PrimeTime guide will still work but it will only work on the HDMI input used for the Co-Star, not coaxial cable input and whether or not you can get the Co-Star to switch from its HDMI input to coaxial cable input is not something I can answer, you will just have to try to set it up but I doubt if that will work.

The unsubscribed TiVoHD will have the added benefit of dual tuners, 30 minute buffer and FF and REW for that 30 minutes.

3. tn_outside

tn_outside New Member

Thanks for your reply.

Grrrrrr.......

4. herculese1

herculese1 New Member

I'm not sure that will work.... You could always connect a slingbox to your cable box in the other room and open the slingplayer web app and control the cable box in the other room from there however you will not get to use the Prim Time app to control it but you will get all of the channels instead of just the basic non hd channels that your coaxial option will get you.