Quantcast

Using an HTPC as a Google TV source

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by johnny.deathmatch, Sep 12, 2011.

1. johnny.deathmatch

johnny.deathmatch New Member

I'm currently using my HTPC as my Google TV source, running a combination of Boxee (for viewing DVD rips, etc) and Windows Media Center (for recording and watching OTA TV). I don't have any type of pay TV such as Dish or cable. After entering the model number of the remote into the Revue during setup (that's what I had to do when setting up my Harmony remote), which wasn't recognized, I did the manual setup (pressing specified buttons) and the Revue keyboard (and Android app) can control the HTPC just fine.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using this sort of setup... all I found when I was searching for info was comparisons of HTPC's vs GTV. Is it possible to get the Revue to actually schedule recordings and whatnot, assuming that the IR commands are functioning properly? I noticed that when I'm in WMC, and viewing Live TV, GTV will try to change the channels but it doesn't work. Also, most of the time my HTPC is in Boxee, so it would be best if GTV could launch WMC when switching to Live TV (for example by sending the Live TV button command). I'm not sure if this is possible, perhaps with jailbreaking? If that's the only way, I may just wait for the honeycomb release and write a market app that allows for more flexibility like that.

Thanks in advance for any input or ideas you might have!!!

2. zuditechguy

zuditechguy New Member

Its there any lag from running your HTPC through google tv? Just curious cause im thinking of using a similar set up with my HTPC running xbmc

3. johnny.deathmatch

Works great, I don't have any lag problems. The buttons work for controlling my HTPC fine, but the keyboard and mouse don't work for the HTPC, but I have seen an adapter on Amazon to allow it to function, I'm not sure how it would work or if there would be a lot of conflict. For now I just keep doing what I was doing, scheduling the TV recordings in WMC. It works well. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

4. lunapark

lunapark Member

Im curious to hear more about this setup.

How is the setup connected, and how does it work ?

Im thinking os use of cables, can Gtv change channels, and record tv-shows, use/search the EPG, and play recorded TV ??
    A lot of questions :)

In the perfect world I would'nt connect to the WMC7 but as I understand GTV can't see my IP-TV channels, but WMC7 can, thanks to dvblogic.

5. johnny.deathmatch

I haven't been able to get GTV to record shows based off of the EPG. It can launch WMC and control it just fine, I just use WMC to choose what I want to record like normal.

6. surge919

surge919 New Member

I set up my MCE Extender (Linksys DMA-2200) as a source.. it works ok, but I've re-ordered the channels so the main channels are in order so I can quickly find them.. ie: 1 is CBS, 2, FOX..etc.. do you know if it's possible to setup GTV to recognize the channels with the re-ordered channel assignments?

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Nope not with a lot of development effort to customize the download the channel listing from i.TV

8. johnny.deathmatch

Here's to hoping that the addition of Honeycomb and the Market comes soon and helps us fix these issues. ;)