Quantcast

Using a DVR with Google TV....

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by barrym07, Oct 29, 2012.

1. barrym07

barrym07 New Member

I've tried looking around the forum for an answer but can't find one.(I might not be looking in the right places)

Right now I have my DVR/cablebox connected with an HDMI to the Google TV and I go to that HDMI input to watch cable. I use the menu and UI from the DVR for my viewing.

I want to do all of this from my GTV UI instead of the cablebox.

I found the answer on getting that HDMI input to be my default TV input. So I'm assuming that I need to make that my default for TV so I can use the TV app built into GTV first.

How do I take advantage of the DVR button on my remote and/or access the DVR features from GTV?
    :confused:

2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

You might want to clarify a little. First, which GTV device are ya using. Second, which remote are you referring to? The GTV's or the cable?

That said, I don't believe you can access DVR features other than be taken to the Guide for future movies & shows listed in the TV & Movies app. Same w/finding shows from search. Recording, scheduling and accessing recorded programs has to be done using your cable remote.

I could be wrong, heck, I wish I was wrong! I'd love to be able to go directly to my DVR and have full interactive options.

Oh well...

Carl

3. chopper

chopper Active Member

On my Revue I can View and control Live TV, The Guide, and play shows from a list of DVR Recordings.

4. Carlszone

Hi

How are you accessing the DVR list?

5. barrym07

barrym07 New Member

I have the NSX-46GT1. On my remote, I have several buttons in the top center area. One of the them says DVR.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Who is your TV service provider?

The full GTV integration (including full DVR integration) is only available with Dish Network. Here's a few links to help explain about the integration:

Google TV | Get Started with Google TV on DISH | DISH

http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/15/google-tv-v2-review/

From the article:

"The bad: Deep DVR integration still unavailable to most

The version 2.0 update turns Google TV into a better competitor against companies such as Roku - but the service's initial promise of completely integrating with your traditional TV service is still a pipe dream. Just as it was when Google TV launched, the only way to get the "full experience" - which includes direct access to your DVR and the ability to schedule recordings from within GTV - is by being a Dish Network customer (and spending an extra four dollars a month).

And even if you are a Dish customer, setting up the full experience remains a difficult process. After adding the Google TV integration to your monthly bill, you need to connect your Dish receiver and Google TV devices directly with an ethernet cord, then hope and pray that GTV recognizes the Dish receiver on the other end. This took multiple tries for me, and even after getting it working the connection between the two devices would occasionally drop.

You'll still be able to use Google TV with other satellite and cable providers, but you'll miss out on the DVR features the "full experience" brings. Until Google lands partnerships with other providers, and simplifies the "full experience" connection process, GTV will only feel partly complete."

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  7. Carlszone

Also, the TV & Movies app will take ya to the guide w/instructions for recording of future programs. This was a great feature until recently. Anyone else notice that the Movies & shows sections are down again? And the sports section in Live TV has gone missing. This is the 2nd time this has happened. Just one of the reasons I decided to get a PC. I'm starting to distrust Google's upkeep of their apps, browser, and media player. DVR integration doesn't enhance the GTV experience if there is no way to access the programs from the very app that makes it worthwhile.

I tried buddy TV but found it difficult to navigate. Maybe there are other apps out there that might allow for more DVR functions???

Carl

8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Just to be clear about what can and what cannot be done with GTV and the various DVRs - I came across this thread with a very good explanation:

Revue with DirecTV enhanced DVR Integration - Logitech Forums

From the thread:

"Google TV doesn't stop you from using the native DVR controls or interface. It just doesn't have anyway of incorporating its functionality within its own user interface without Enhanced DVR / Advance Intergration. You'll still be able to access and control the DVR via IR from the Logitech Revue through its input devices."