Quantcast

Users Setting

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by overtimeman, Mar 7, 2012.

1. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Sorry if this has been asked before but in under the hood under users settings it lists default,generic,and custom.What if any difference does it makes in those settings.Just curious!Mike

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Mike with the user setting on default web sites recognize you as being on a GTV device.

With the user agent set to "generic" you can access some additional sites that are blocking GTV - such as NBC, all TV stations owned by Viacom, plus the WB, and CW. (The stations owned by Viacom include: Comedy Central, Logo, BET, Spike, TV Land, Nick@Nite, Nickelodeon, TeenNick, Nick Jr., MTV, VH1, MTV2, Tr3s, CMT, Palladia). Also you will be able to rent YouTube movies (using Chrome).

However even on "generic" you still will not be able to view the full videos from the web sites of ABC, CBS, Fox, Disney and Hulu because they take the extra step of including the GTV Flash version in their blocking protocol. I believe NBC used to block GTV by OS & the Flash version also (because NBC didn't use to work with the browser set to "generic") - however somehow after the 3.1 update I think NBC's blocking mechanism got messed up (perhaps because GTV is now on flash 10.2). I know that NBC hasn't changed their ideological policy about blocking GTV - because with the user agent on "default" - full videos from the NBC web site still don't work with GTV.

I personally prefer to keep my Revue on generic all the time. I find I can access more content that way - plus the other stuff such as GTV Spotlight web sites, YouTube, Gmail, and Apps all still work fine for me with my user agent on generic.

There really is no benefit of adding a 'custom" user agent. As all the same sites that work with a custom user agent will also work with your user agent on Generic. Entering a custom user agent will do no good in bypasing the blocking mechanisms of those sites that use the GTV Flash version (as part of their GTV blocking protocol).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. bukzin

bukzin New Member

Where do we find those options to select?

Thanks!

4. CatfishRivers

Press the menu key (the key with 4 horizontal bars) - then go to settings - then select "advanced settings", then select "under the hood" and look where it says "user agent".

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  5. bpus

bpus New Member

In settings I do not have advance settings option. please advise. Tnks.

6. CatfishRivers

After you click the menu key - next you click where it says settings (onscreen), then you will see advanced settings at the top (onscreen).

• Like Like x 2
  7. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Thanks for the symbaloo link!Made the Revue experience more enjoyable!

8. bpus

bpus New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    These are my steps: hitting menu key (the key with 4 horizontal bars) I'm getting "Option" menu with three choices:
    customize home items, home and all apps settings, system settings.
    When I go to any of these choices advance settings found nowhere.
    Clicking system settings I'm getting to the "Settings" screen with 13 choices.
    Is that what you have on your box?
    Thanks.

9. CatfishRivers

You have to press the menu key while on Chrome (from any web page). If you press the menu key while on your homepage (or in an app) then it brings up the menu that you just described. For example just click the menu key while you are on this page (and don't click your home key at all).

10. bpus

bpus New Member

Thanks, I got it. I'm not familiar with this box or Android OS. So a lot to learn.
    Hope this forum is good source of knowledge.

Thanks again CatfishRivers.

11. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Check out This for Chrome tips.

12. thekylesouza

thekylesouza New Member

I've had better success with the "Desktop" custom agent over generic for viewing content that blocks mobile agents.

13. CatfishRivers

Interesting - however I'm not sure that I understand your point. Can you list a specific web site that does not work with the GTV user agent set to "generic" - but will instead work with the custom agent set to "desktop"? I'd like to test it for myself on my Revue.

On my Symbaloo GTV webmixes (see the link in my sig below) - every TV channel web site that I have listed will work in "generic" mode. The only TV sites that do not work in generic are ABC, CBS, FOX, Disney and Hulu. But those sites also don't work in "desktop" - because they use the Flash version as one of their blocking mechanisms.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  14. thekylesouza

thekylesouza New Member

When NBC sites were allowing Google TV users it skipped commercials when set to "Desktop" instead of generic.