Quantcast

Use the Vizio chat feature to request that the Co-Star Receive the JB update

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by deadringer28, Oct 30, 2013.

1. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

Seems they will forward the request. If they don't have people asking maybe they assume no one wants it.

https://vizio.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch/

Q: Will the Co-Star with Google TV receive the JB 4.2 update?

[​IMG] Jackson: Thank you for contacting VIZIO Live Chat. This is Jackson in South Dakota. Have you ever contacted us before?
    [​IMG] Matt Yes
    [​IMG] Jackson: Unfortunately that update for the Co-Star has not been announced yet. When that update is available your Co-Star will automatically prompt you to update.
    [​IMG] Matt Is there anyone there that can speak to if this update is on the Road map for the Co-Star
    [​IMG] Matt : I know a lot of people want to know and people that I have suggested buy the Co-Star have been asking me too
    [​IMG] Jackson: It's not that someone knows about it but I can't give out the information, it is that there is no information on that update yet. It has not been planned or announced for the Co-Star yet. It is possible that it will receive that update, but there isn't any information regarding it right now.
    [​IMG] Matt : Okay fair enough. Have you been receiving a lot of requests like this?
    [​IMG] Jackson: Personally I haven't taken a lot of chats that have asked this question.
    [​IMG] Matt : Where can people go to make a request to have this update placed on the radar for the Co-Star?
    [​IMG] Jackson: I can submit that request for you. I will email our product team to let them know that there is a demand for this update.
    [​IMG] Matt : great thanks so much

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. deadringer28

post if you have contacted chat if all 58 views actually follow through they might start paying attention

3. deadringer28

114 views. I wonder how many of these are unique views. Please Like or +1 if you intend on chating with Vizio about this. I bet if they got 100 chats reswuesting the update we will have a better chance of getting it.

4. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

It can't hurt, but unless each of you also sends them a check for $10,000+ it's just a drop in the proverbial corporate bucket.

5. deadringer28

Why would they need 1.1 Million to release this update?

6. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

I don't own a costar, but I contacted them anyways. They told me they are working on the update, but they can't give me an eta.

• Like Like x 4
  7. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

Also I expressed that I was disappointed that they couldn't give me a timeline even though LG is already updating their Google TV devices.

• Like Like x 4
  8. jonw747

Running a business is technically about turning a profit, and it's hard to justify investing development time just to make 100 people happy. If they end up adding support for JB, it will have to be justified some other way - such as sustaining a presence in the GTV market.

9. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

LG is updating HDTVs with a cost of maybe $700 to $2,000 and hope for participating in the Google TV market going forward. Vizio has a customer base for the Co-Star with an extremely high rate of return with little or no hope of making a profit on Google TV products that can't even be sold at $100 and spending more money on a hurried working jelly bean update for the Co-Stars in service would be throwing more money away on a losing venture.

The smart move for Vizio, wait for LG and Google to work the bugs out of the new Google TV system, get a much more stable and useful Android 4.2.2 from Google and adapt that to the Co-Star. Whether or not a few people whine about not getting the update quickly means nothing to the company and it shouldn't mean anything.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  10. deadringer28

Hopefully Vizio will just come out an say that they are through with Google TV then otherwise they are losing customers fast with the approach they are taking. It isn't just 100 people but the potential for those 100 to tell another 100 and so on and so forth. If JB would come to the Co-Star I would be able to sell a bunch of people on GTV. In it's current state I can not.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  11. ChrisG8

If anybody thinks having Google TV Jelly Bean as it is now on the Co-Star is going to be absolutely terrific, I think they are dreaming. As it is now, a few things are worse and a few things are better than Google TV Honeycomb. Eventually, I believe the newer versions of Android will be a big advantage for Google TV but so far, if you don't have the Google TV Android 4.2.2, I don't see how you are missing anything much. I don't know when or if Vizio will adapt the operating system for the Co-Star but unless the company is going to work to update the Co-Star with each improvement in the next few months, I would much rather the company waits and updates when there is something to be excited about. Based on the company's history I have followed, I would say Vizio doesn't have a staff with a great deal of expertise in firmware development.

If Vizio is going to be one update to Jelly Bean and done forever, which I suspect is the case, I say l hope the company takes their one shot in 6 months or a year, when the operating system is more stable. Google can make Jelly Bean for Google TV a whole lot better than it is now.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jonw747

We're talking about the same company that just introduced the Co-Star LT, right?

They seem to be under the assumption they can still make $$$ on a streaming box if they just get rid of Android and drop the price by $20.

Speaking of, they're off to a great start...

First Amazon, review:

"don't waste your time or money it doesn't work on half the features the remote is terrible hard to use it doesn't have many apps not for the price its just junk and its being returned tomorrow"

#39,299 in Electronics

13. bradenbass

bradenbass New Member

I think they are forced to updating the co-star to jelly bean if they plan on keeping their current co-star customers. Why would I buy their next unit knowing that it's very unlikely that they will update it to the next android version?

14. ChrisG8

There isn't going to be a next Vizio Google TV, at least that is how I see it. I agree with you, the chance any owners of the current model will buy another Vizio smart TV box of any kind is not good if Vizio doesn't update the Co-Star to Jelly Bean. I really don't have a feel for how important that might be to Vizio but I think eventually the company will provide the update, I just can't see it being soon, there are a lot of problems with the current Jelly Bean release. I believe Vizio doesn't have the staff with expertise to make it better and should just wait for Google and LG to accomplish that goal.

15. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

I just IM'd.. not much to hang hopes on... Google announced this in May(?)... Vizio might be hard at work, and not nearly done... but Vizio should know by now if they are going to make the update and be able to tell us that... the fact that they can't, isn't encouraging.

Again Google.. we need a NexusTV.

16. deadringer28

the same could be said about chromecast. It doesnt do much and if you dont have one you arent missing out right now.

17. ChrisG8

Ya, I am using the Netflix 3-month promo subscription a lot. The Chromecast that came with the subscription is not being used at all.

18. J_Is_Freezing

J_Is_Freezing New Member

For what it's worth... I mentioned this last night to Vizio phone support.
    (one last attempt to fix my completely failed chrome app)

- she said she didn't know about any updates.

19. deadringer28

First level help desk people will not know anything about it. You need to ask to speak to someone higher in the chain or you need to ask that they pass the word along.

20. jonw747

I agree, and that's a problem, but it's not quite a lost cause yet if Google could be bothered to release the SDK, let 3rd parties have their fun, and also release the code so others can incorporate it in to their own devices. Free & open has worked well for Google ... proprietary, not so much.