Quantcast

Use the stock Sony remote instead of Comcast Digital Cable remote?

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by irishpride, Sep 9, 2011.

1. irishpride

irishpride New Member

I looked all over the place to see if this was possible, but couldn't find anything. What I'm trying to do is use the stock Sony Internet TV keypad instead of the standard Comcast digital cable remote.

Also, when I connect my HDMI, it says 1080i and not 1080p. Is that normal or can I switch it to 1080p somehow?

Thanks in advance, I just picked up the 32" and love it, I've had multiple Android devices in the past, so I am technically inclined, if that makes it easier.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, you should be able to use the Sony Remote Commander (NSG-MR1) in place of most of buttons on your Comcast OEM Remote. However, the Sony's remotes aren't quite as configurable as the Logitech Revue. So, you'll need to keep the remote handy in case of there are some buttons which aren't available.

Personally, I recommend you file a request for enhancement if you are in fact missing buttons which you need. In my case, I am missing the relationship with the Yellow A Triangle, Blue B Box, Red C Circle, and the Green D Diamond on the Sony Remote Commander that comes with the Sony Internet TV.

It is possible that the Comcast Set-top box itself is limited to 1080i. Try going into the device's video output configuration to change it. My Scientific Atlanta 8300 only has the options for 480p, 720p, and 1080i.

3. irishpride

irishpride New Member

Thank you for the response. Do you know how I would go about setting up the Sony Remote to work w/ my Comcast box?

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Aside from following the directions of the configuration wizard for the TV source, no. You might consider calling Sony Technical Support if you're having difficulties.

5. chig

chig New Member

From my memory... make sure you have the IR Blasters connected and placed in front of your cable box's IR reciever. Then go to Settings>Video Input> and then I think there should be something there to configure your TV device. While setting up it will ask you which input is your cable box connected to, which provider etc and then it'll show you it in a window. I think it auto searches through all codes it has for devices of that brand and asks you if you were succesful changing channels while going through.

Got my DirecTV box on the first try, and I practically have every button my DirecTV controller did. Except for some functions like programming info you have to press FN + the appropriate key, and I think recall is Tab and back is Esc. Of course it isn't the same remote so some things have switched up, but I can safely say I may not need my DTV remote anymore other than the fact it's the shape I'm used to and can use it better in the dark. But once you get the Sony TV in sync with your cable box then you can also get an android app for Google TV that will turn your phone into a remote too. Awesomesauce.

6. irishpride

irishpride New Member

Thanks, I'm going to give that a shot when I get home from work. If nothing else works I guess I can always try to call the tech support.

I actually did download the GTV app for both my iPhone & iPad and it is really great.

7. Kelvweb

Kelvweb New Member

Curious if you got the Sony keypad to control your Comcast cable box. I just swapped out for a new Comcast digital box and can't get my Sony keypad to change the channels or even turn this particular cable box on and off. (New cable box is an Xfinity Cisco).

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You'll need to go through and reconfigure the TV source because not all Comcast devices use the same IR codes. I believe that that there about seven compatible IR Blaster codes listed for Comcast, one of the seven should allow you to operate the box.

GTV Settings > Video Input > Configured devices > Edit configured device > IR Blaster settings > Code

You'll see a popup window with the current configured code and a list of possible compatible codes for you to test. Try each one of them to see which one will work with the new set-top box.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  9. Kelvweb

Kelvweb New Member

Thanks for your help! A slight adjustment in those steps is how I got just got my new Comcast box to work. At > edit configured device I scrolled to > add device manually. I then followed the on-screen prompts until I saw my channels playing and was able to change them up or down.

Now, if you could just tell me how to get my GTV to clean my house for me, I'd be very grateful :)

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Duct tape it to a Roomba.