Quantcast

Use of an external USB Bluetooth dongle?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by rwhapham, Oct 22, 2013.

1. rwhapham

rwhapham New Member

So this may sound like a "why would you want to do that?" question; but bear with me. To keep things "clean" in our family room, all of my A/V gear is actually in the room behind where our TV is mounted. Every now and then the remote gets a bit slow to act or just downright unresponsive. I fear it is because the NSZ-GS7 is about 15 ft. away from where we typically sit, and behind a wall. I'd rather not have to bring the unit into the room; as, aside from there being a black box that I would rather have hidden, it adds some challenges to using its IR blaster. But what I thought I might be able to do is use a USB extension cable and a USB Bluetooth dongle to bring just the BT receiver portion on the "good" side of the wall. Has anyone tried something like this? Any chance of it working? Or would it simply compete/confuse the built-in BT receiver?

2. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

The bluetooth stack is pretty complicated, I have no experience, but I would assume you'd have troubles getting it to work. You should be able to extend the wired IR output as needed, and you could go with a different remote/keyboard combo that comes with a USB dongle and then extend that with a long USB cable. You also have the option to use a tablet/phone App as a remote.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with Bluetooth USB adapters but I do use a Logitech K700 keyboard with a Sony NSZ-GS7 and just tested that at around 15' in my house and it appears to communicate well, I moved to a different room and there was a wall in between the keyboard and Google TV but also a hallway and an opening to the room. The K700 uses 2.4GHz RF with USB unifying receiver and the keyboard works well with all Google TV models I have used except the Vizio Co-Star.