Quantcast

USB Questions - Hubs? Power?

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by sprank1, Jan 15, 2011.

1. sprank1

sprank1 New Member

Hello,

I have a couple of questions about the USB ports on the Sony 40" Google TV.

First - has anyone tried to use a USB hub to increase the number of USB ports?

Second - anyone tried using a USB powered external hard drive? I am wondering if the USB ports on the TV put out the same power as typical computer USB ports.

Still having fund exploring and discovering new things about this TV.

2. skoretsky

skoretsky New Member

Haven't tried a USB hub, but I do use a portable (non-powered) USB hard drive with my Revue and it works fine.

3. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

I used a powered splitter on my install after my GTV set-top box that worked really well. As you can see it was not really that expensive so I would expect a "hub" would also be worth a try. Report back if you give one a try! Good Luck

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...me-theater-audio-issues-resolve.html#post1927

4. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Might want to check out what I did and yes you may NOT need a powered splitter as I installed, but works really well!

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...me-theater-audio-issues-resolve.html#post1927

5. phantomandy

phantomandy New Member

The top two ports supply sufficient power to charge my ipod and my cell phone. I've not used the bottom two ports (46" Sony).

I don't have a standalone self powered hard drive to try or I'd give it a shot. Maybe someone else with a SONY TV will chime in.

6. tp76

tp76 New Member

Just left Best Buy where they have the 32" on sale for $599 and the 40" for $799 - my USB question (which BB was unsure of) is can I connect an external disk drive and watch movies which I am normally limited to watching on the computer because of the format ?

7. daddypants

daddypants New Member

yes, you can use a usb powered drive to watch movies straight from the google tv. i have a 2tb seagate goflex that is usb powered and works great, just be sure its fat32 formatted and have your media in the right formats.

8. tp76

tp76 New Member

So hard drives work, thats good news - what about disk drives specifically...we have stacks of disks thet my wife's father makes in Germany of her favorite shows and mails to us - they dont play in the dvd player and the PS3 gives a "video in the PAL broadcast standard is not supported" error, the only way to view them is on a computer...so without plugging a laptop via HDMI or reformatting hundreds of disks can we just plug in the external disk drive and watch on the Sony GTV ?

Edit: Nevermind, seems it's nothing a $50 region free DVD player won't solve :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011