Quantcast

USB HD causing GTV to crash

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by jschall, Mar 2, 2013.

1. jschall

jschall Member

I have a strange problem with my brand-new Sony NSZ-GS7, and I hope I can get it fixed soon.

I went through the installation procedure, and at one point after completion it gave me a notification that an update of the firmware was available (I am in Canada, if that makes a difference). When I check the firmware version, it says 3.2.

My problem is, when I connect my WD Mybook 1 TB USB hard disk, I get the notification that it is being prepared (I can see the drive's activity light flashing), then a new notification that the drive has been synced. Then the screen goes dark blue, and the remote stops working. I have to power down/up to reboot, the UI works for a while, but before I can browse the HD with ES File Explorer, the UI crashes again.

If I power down and replace the MyBook with an 8Gb Sandisk USB key, the GS7 reboots with no problem, I get the notifications that the Sandisk is being prepared and synced, and I can browse the Sandisk with ES. The UI is otherwise working well, I can play live tv, browse with Chrome, play files from the Sandisk, download from Google Play, and so on.

It is as if my GS7 is incompatible with the MyBook.

I called Sony Canada support, but they don't work on Saturday.

Has anybody seen or heard of a problem like this?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

3. jschall

jschall Member

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am willing to try to recreate the problem here. I have the GS7 and two different WD drives in USB enclosures but not the MyBook. I have a 1TB Essentials drive and a 500GB WD drive I removed from a TiVo when the enclosure failed and put it in a Rosewill case. I have been using the 500GB with a Logitech Revue, it is formatted NTFS and it has worked great in that device. It just dawned on me, I have another WD drive from a TiVo in a Rosewill case plugged into a power outlet right next to my NSZ-GS7, I can check now and will let you know what I find.

5. ChrisG8

I was able to synch the WD drive immediately and I am playing a file from the drive now, a simple MPEG-4 file from PlayLater using ViMu media player, it plays flawlessly. Again since it is just an NTFS formatted WD drive previously used with TiVo, it is probably the ideal drive for use for video purposes. My guess is there is some way your drive is formatted or partitioned that creates the issue. You will need somebody more technical than I am to identify the issue, but provide any information regarding the drive and maybe someone can help.

6. jschall

jschall Member

Thanks for the help, ChrisG8. I will try to re-format my MyBook :( and see if that makes a difference...

7. ChrisG8

If it is just a blank drive, no files of value, yes format it NTFS and see what happens. If it fails, format it FAT32 and see if that fails also. Find something fun to do while the drive formats. It also might be worth mentioning what PC operating system you are using to format the drive, I don't know that matters but if someone with technical knowledge visits the thread, it might be meaningful to them. I have used a Windows Vista Home Premium PC to format the drives working without issue. I don't think the MyBook is much different than the WD Elements drive and WD My DVR Expander drive I use.

8. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

I dont really know WD HD, but I assume with a name like mybook there is an os like software on it and it could interfer with gtv.

Envoyé depuis mon SGH-I747M avec Tapatalk

9. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

^^^
    +1

Btw, is this non-powered HDD? if so, try to connected it via a "Y" usb-power-adapter or via powered-sub-Hub.
    Also, check for hidden VCD (Virtual CD) partitions (& remove it).

10. jschall

jschall Member

I re-formatted the My Book (a powered drive) to NTFS, and re-loaded the files onto it.

It still crashes the GS7 a few minutes after I plug it in.

I will try with another, smaller WD powered drive that is currently serving as a NAS, hooked to my router.

Does anybody here use a large (>100 GB) USB drive on their GS7 with no problem?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  11. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

12. ChrisG8

Yes, i just installed a 160GB WD, an original drive from a TiVoHD TCD652160 and used it without issue and I can try larger drives. Install Smart RAM Booster from the Play Store and watch it after connecting the WD drive, see if the RAM quickly disappears before the player crashes. It is a free app.

13. jschall

jschall Member

You nailed it, ChrisG8.

I installed Smart RAM Booster, and watched the pie-chart after I connected a second self-powered USB HD (My Book 700GB). From an initial 350MB free RAM, it immediately started falling, reaching 45MB before the GS7 crashed.

I think I will have to stick with relatively small USB flash drives. :-(

14. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

I connected a 1TO ntsf with a Y usb cable and it works fine. I takes less than 1 minutes to sync it.

15. ChrisG8

I just connected a 1TB WD Elements drive with 800GB data, around 400GB PlayLater DVR recordings and around 400GB PC back up files. It started scanning and checking for errors, I waited 5 minutes and left, it was still scanning, I will check back later but RAM Booster didn't show the memory crash symptoms, the box was still running fine, I received the message that it is scanning the drive in my inbox.

I have a Sony NSZ-GT1 that crashed the first couple of times I connected a USB FAT32 drive, it won't work with NTFS drives. The second time I watched the RAM Booster showing what was happening while it crashed. I fixed the problem and use that NSZ-GT1 without issues now but I can't remember what I did, but will try to figure it out. Someone with technical skills might be able to explain what is going on, where is eferz when we need him? We had a member here using the member name eferz until about a year ago, the guy was a great resource, but he left without warning and hasn't been heard from since. He always had some good ideas with technical issues like this. Sony must not have many people working on Google TV right now but the company used to fix issues pretty quickly, I am waiting on a 1080p/60Hz playback problem that was reported to Sony a month ago. Once you formatted that drive as NTFS, it should work as far as I know.

16. ChrisG8

I just went back, the WD Elements 1TB drive scan was complete, the USB drive sync message was in my inbox. I played a snippets from several files, everything works perfectly. Explain how you formatted the MyBook drive, mine was formatted NTFS using a Windows Vista Home Premium PC. I think it about 10 minutes to complete the scan of the drive with about 800GB of data, I will assume that is pretty standard. I used ViMu to play the files I tested.

17. jschall

jschall Member

Thanks for the suggestion, ColmARock. But what do you mean by a "Y USB cable"? How do you connect it? My My Book needs power from its external power brick.

18. ChrisG8

His must be an HD powered by USB and a single USB port from this device can't do that, not sure that two can really but he may be powering it from his DVR or some other USB port. Our points are we can get WD USB hard drives working just fine, I have a 160GB and 1TB drive as described above, both work, no crashes.

More information might be helpful, again how did you format the drive? NTFS? Which computer operating system was used?

19. ColmARocK

ColmARocK New Member

Yes my usb disk is powered by usb and it come with a 2 heads usb cable. Depending on the device the voltage could be to low for the HD so you need to plugit into two usb ports. Voltage on gtv is pretty low so i use the two usb ports for 1hd. If i disconnect 1 of them the device showd hd sync but it will never be available and you cant feel the hd turning when we hold it. If I plus the second usb port of my Y cable everythings works find. But if your usb disk has is own energy source that should not be the issue.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  20. ChrisG8