Quantcast

USB Hard drives known to work on Google TV boxes

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by jschall, Mar 10, 2013.

1. jschall

jschall Member

You may have read, or even experienced, these horror stories:

On the SONY NSZ-GS7:
    http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sonys-nsz-gs7/7402-usb-hd-causing-gtv-crash-5.html#post46134

On the Logitech Revue:
    http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/logitech-revue/4257-external-hard-drives-3-1-a.html

On the Vizio Co-Star:
    http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...eeps-crashing-after-hooking-up-wd-mybook.html

To help folks avoid this problem when choosing a USB Hard Drive, @ChrisG8 suggested we create a thread listing devices known to work problem-free on our GTV boxes.

Let me start by listing my two Western Digital My Books that cause my SONY NSZ-GS7 to crash in flames;

WD My Book 640 GB (WDH1U6400N)
    WD My Book 1 TB (WDBACW0010HBK-NESN)

And my Toshiba Canvio 500 GB that draws too much current for the GS7's USB ports, unless I use a powered USB hub.

Please, if you have a USB hard drive that works on your GTV device, list it in thiis thread, along with the model of GTV device you have.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I only have three USB hard drives to use with Google TV, all three have worked without issue with the Sony NSZ-GS7 and Logitech Revue. All are formatted NTFS and my Sony NSZ-GT1 can't use NTFS but for purposes of the Sony NSZ-GS7 thread, the NTFS formatted drives working for me are:

1. Western Digital WD1600AVBS, 160GB drive in a Rosewill RX358 v2 USB 2.0 enclosure. This drive is also available in a 500GB version, the WD5000AVBS which should work also.

2. WD Elements 1TB USB external drive WDBAA010010HBK-00.

3. I removed the 500GB drive from the 2007 TiVo WD MY DVR Expander when the eSata enclosure failed and put it in a Rosewill RX358 v2 USB 2.0 enclosure. Western Digital Confirms 500GB My DVR Expander Drive Works With TiVo

None of the drives I have used are new enough that I would expect finding any at retail now. I think one of the big issues with the new drives are hidden partitions which the NSZ-GS7 may not deal with well.

3. jschall

jschall Member

Never mind, everybody.

This problem has been fixed in the latest SONY REL07 firmware. I assume it's been fixed in the most recent Vizio firmware, too.