Quantcast

USB Hard Drive problem...

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by rxb523, Nov 10, 2010.

1. rxb523

rxb523 New Member

Have the 40" Sony TV with GoogleTV built-in. Just got a 1TB Western Digital external HD and can't seem to get the media player in the TV to recognize it. I figured this would work like any other external storate(usb flash drive) but can't get anything to show up. Tried formatting it to FAT32 as I read that the Logitech Revue required FAT32 but that didn't work. I also saw the Revue could not use a hard disk partition bigger than 800-someodd GB so was wondering if anyone knew if that was the same for the Sony GoogleTV. Thanks in advance for any help.

Also having a problem that I see on a couple of other posts but haven't been able to find any solution to. Whenever I try to access media from my computer using a media server(used Windows Media Player and TVersity) and can't get either to work consistently. It pretty much always detects the server but when I try to open it it loads for a few seconds then gives me the "Cannot Load Data" error. I have gotten it to work a few times(randomly with no changes to anything) and it will work at least long enough to play a movie or TV show but the next time I try to load it up it gives the error again. I have my computer about as un-secure as possible to get the sharing to work consistently and still no luck. I feel like my computer, router/modem, and TV are doing everything they can to keep me from getting my media to my TV!!! :confused:

2. jking47

jking47 New Member

I had similar issues with a 500Gb drive I tried to connect to my Sony TV. I believe my issue was formatting, as it's NTFS and not fat32. The problem with fat32 is the limitation of the file size.

When connecting to your computer and watching a movie/tv show, what is the file format you are watching? I've been having issues doing this as well, but the files just don't work at all (tested .avi and .wmv so far).

3. digdow

digdow New Member

I'm in the same boat. I can't even get a 16 gig USB thumb drive formatted in FAT32 to mount or show anything. Here's the rub, the 8 gig thumb drive with the same format and half the files will mount. Then I can play my mp4 files....

I have a 46" Sony GTV.

4. jking47

jking47 New Member

And a solution has been found!! Instead of connecting a drive directly to my Sony box, I used dlna to connect to my home computer and access the files from there. I initially used the crappy Windows Media Player dlna server, but scrapped that in favor of ps3mediaserver. This is working like an absolute charm. It's not specifically designed for the googletv, but it works just as well - and was very fast when it came to drilling down through folders and selecting media to play/view.

5. digdow

digdow New Member

@jking47

What GTV unit are you using? An external Logitech Revue, Sony Bluray GTV, or all in one NSX-XXGT1?

6. jking47

jking47 New Member

I've got the Sony Bluray GTV. Tried hooking up an external USB initially and ran into a ton of issues. the ps3 Media Server has a little bit of tweaking to do still, but it is by far the best option I have found so far.

7. kash

kash New Member

I was able to play some music video from 1gb pendrive, but when loaded a 16gb drive with movies, it didnt work.
    error : "damaged USB .."

8. naanku

naanku New Member

I bought a new Sony 40" Google TV. When I connected my Seagate 880BG Ext HD its not working with the TV. Its showing as Damaged USB. What do I need to do? Someone please help me. Thanks a ton in advance.

9. kash

kash New Member

google tv currently recognizes only fat32 format.

10. martyhyams

martyhyams New Member

Same problem as you all. I have a new Sony GTV. Can't get the "USB" ports to ever read "any" drives even formatted to FAT32. I get the same error message as you guys saying the external drives are damaged. I can connect and successfully view video etc. from computers, iPhones, iPads etc. through HDMI. But still need to use the USB ports for other stored media

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Try backing up one of your drives and formatting your drive with this tool: Fat32Formatter then test it with your Google TV device. If it still doesn't work then it is possible that you have bad USB ports, you might want to consider calling the manufacturer for technical support.

12. carljammers

carljammers New Member

I'm not too familiar with android, but my under standing is it's running off a modified linux kernal. So my question is, has anyone tried hooking up an external drive formatted in the linux ex3 file system? If any of the google tv device could read that file system, that would solve all file size problems.

13. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

Android can indeed read ext file systems, however, local storage on Android devices is designed to be capable of connected to other devices as a mass storage device which typically means FAT format.

While Android can read ext, I'm not aware of any Android applications that take advantage of this...

14. zen2go

zen2go New Member

I have a three year old Lacie USB portable HDD. My Sony GTV recognizes it right away and I was able to view photos, play music. But videos had no picture, and the audio stuttered as though the Media Player was having a hard time buffering.

Is there a better media player app I can try out?

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes and no. There are other players that you can try that give you other options like streaming via file sharing. However, the container and codec compatibility that's preventing you from watching your videos appropriately is built into the Google TV operating system. Unlike the Android Phones and Tablets, the third party developers are held back by Google TV due to the exclusion of the NDK to compile more and better libraries for format compatibility.

I recommend that either you look into using a transcoding DLNA server (like Twonky, TVersity, or PlayOn) or convert your video files to a compatible format (like files with MP4 container with H.264/AVC video streams and AAC audio)

16. slaZ

slaZ New Member

That doesn't have to be the case. Android applications actually don't use any underlying permissions (ext*); there is no API and so they don't have control over it. It only knows whether it can access the directory/file or not. Think of a normal Android phone app that is stored on the phone-side storage rather than on SD card. In that case, it's on yaffs2 or ext3/4. It is also quite trivial to export ext2/3/4 as mass storage (just map all permissions as rwx).

IMHO, I think attaching USB drive to a GTV may not have been thought of as a deliverable. Otherwise, I don't see why they don't just add ext3/4 support "for free" since they just need to enable the kernel feature (which has been stable in Linux for a long time). Also not sure why there were those 800MB USB drive limitations at least in earlier GTV versions at this date & age. They probably wasted more effort on tech support to end users with these limitations than fixing it. Sorry for the rant. :p

Hopefully, with the "Big Update" out of the way, the engineers can work on these and other usability issues rather than busy with making the release. :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. dimasboy

dimasboy New Member

I was able to get it to work just fine over DLNA with WMP on the PC. It took half an hour worth of setting up the PC but it works great and plays it all, no hiccups at all. No lag or skipping either.

GTV recognizes FAT32 and ExFAT but not NTFS. Trusting the manual it should support any drive up to 2TB. I have a 750GB external hard drive hooked up and it works fine.

The only issue I have is that I can't get it to show the external drive attached to the TV on the network. Now if I want to add content I have to disconnect the drive from the TV, hook it up to the PC, make the changes, and then hook it back up to the TV. It's just annoying that the built-in FTP server wouldn't include the external drive. File Expert didn't help much either. Any thoughts?

18. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I recently discovered that "there's an app for that". You should give SwiFTP a try. Apparently, it allows you to access any part of the Android filesystem through FTP. You'll be able to specify a specific folder to share through FTP; including the entire filesystem.

Additionally, I've sent the developer a request for enhancement to include this in the next version of File Expert. Let's hope he implements it. I really enjoy Fire Expert's capabilities and user interface.

19. WebTV

WebTV New Member

Eferz thanks for the tip about formatting my USB HD with Fat32Formatter, issue resolved. I finally have a USB external HD media solution.

• Like Like x 2
  20. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to have helped.