Quantcast

USA Today Not Functioning Properly with Revue - Workaround (Fix)

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 13, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi all. Logitech Revue users are currently not able to access the GTV optimized version of USA Today. It will just show a blank screen. Also if you try to go to the regular USA Today web site - you will automatically be redirected to the non-functioning GTV version.

The workaround for now is to set your Chrome user agent to "generic" - and then you will be able to access the regular version of USA Today. If you leave your Chrome user agent set to "default" - you will not be able to access the regular USA Today web site.

I only have the Logitech Revue - so I'm not sure how USA Today is working with other GTV devices.

USA TODAY: Latest World and US News - USATODAY.com (link to regular USA Today web site)

http://itv.usatoday.com/ (link for non-functioning GTV version of USA Today)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

The USA TODAY - News, Travel, Weather, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, U.S. & World link you shared does not even work with firefox either on a computer and most all the google tv links work with it with no problem . Just shows a grey screen.

When I load the screen with IE and the chrome add on it works but it tells me the site wants to track my location which I do not like :)

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The thing that I don't like about this - is the way that web sites/Google try to redirect and "force" GTV users to the so-called "optimized" sites for GTV.

Often times the "optimized" GTV sites are buggy - or down completely.

If a GTV user goes to the regular USA Today site (with user agent on "default" - they cannot access the regular site - because USA Today/Google in their infinite wisdom feel that the best course of action is to force GTV users to the app). Many people wouldn't think to change their user agent to "generic" (or just don't want to be bothered with it) - in order to access the regular USA Today site.

I liken it to the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey" - where in theory everything is supposed to run better totally automated (by letting HAL the computer handle everything). Too bad that HAL went haywire...... -:)