Quantcast

US NSZ-GS7 Hardware Question

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by mjeshurun, Dec 21, 2012.

1. mjeshurun

mjeshurun New Member

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Sony NSZ-GS7 in Europe. I was surprised to find out that it came with 648MB of RAM and 4GB of internal flash memory. From blog posts I read prior to buying it, I understood the NSZ-GS7 should have 1GB of RAM and 8GB of internal flash memory.

Can someone please confirm the amount of RAM and internal flash memory on the US version of the NSZ-GS7?

Thanks!!!

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It has been widely reported that the US version NSZ-GS7 includes 8GB flash storage and 1GB RAM. I haven't torn one apart myself but accept the reports as fact. How do you know the European version comes with 648MB RAM and 4GB flash storage?

3. mjeshurun

mjeshurun New Member

Smart RAM Booster ( http://goo.gl/4soCp ) shows I have a total of 628MB RAM memory (sorry for the earlier mistake saying it was 648MB).
    As to the internal storage, I went to the Google TV Settings/Applications/Manage Applications and it shows 4GB of total Internal Storage.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

That isn't what Smart RAM Booster is showing, not all RAM is user accessible, Smart RAM Booster only deals with the portion that is. For my NSZ-GT1, Smart RAM Booster shows around 540MB RAM and for my Logitech Revue around 640MB RAM, both have 1GB RAM as proven by iFixit teardown. The Logitech Revue has 5GB flash storage and Sony NSZ-GT1 8GB flash storage, again proven by iFixit teardown. I don't recall what the Google TV indicates as total but again, it isn't correct. I am not very technical but I will assume the differences come about as a result of needs for operating system and various other system needs. If you believe that the remaining RAM and storage available for things the user can control is as you state, I don't know and don't care really.

I will dismiss your claims and go with 1GB RAM and 8GB flash storage as correct and let someone more technical than I am explain what is being done with each. I know my TiVo in the home theater has 1.16 TB of storage, I put the drives in my self and can see that fact clearly. I also know not all of that storage is available to me, the TiVo requires some of it to operate and save ads and other things I have no control over. My computers have specific RAM and hard drive space, again I know this fact since I put the chips and hard drives in myself but not all of that is available for things I can control.

5. dailylife

dailylife New Member

There is a website that i can watch live tv channels and also select and watch tv episodes. that website can check about the system configuration and when I use that option via my nsz-gs7 it shows those configurations;

Operating System : Unix
    Web Browser : Chrome (Version 11)
    Screen Resolution : 1828:1026
    Color Quality : 16bit
    Cookies Enabled : Yes
    Javascript Enable : Yes

I wonder about the color quality, is it really 16bit? is there a way to change it?