Quantcast

Updated report graphs Apple’s dedication to supporting older iPhones vs. Android

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by sparkyscott21, Dec 3, 2013.

1. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

We hear a lot about adoption of iOS updates vs the fragmentation that Android users are forced to deal with, but just how far behind are the top Android devices compared to iPhone when it comes to getting support? To answer that question, Fidlee.com has updated a chart that it first put together a couple years back in order to see if Android has become any better in recent years. It hasn’t.

In the chart above we see that many once flagship Android devices— the Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S3, LG G2 etc— have still not received the latest Android 4.4 KitKat update. Most of the devices on the list have been an upgrade or two behind since launch or not long after. In comparison, only the iPhone 3GS fives years after its release doesn’t support iOS 7. We also get a look at how much longer Apple devices generally stay available for sale and continue receiving support– nearly twice as long as Android in most cases.

Not only did Apple claim iOS 7 was “the fastest software upgrade in history” with more than 200 million devices installing the OS less than a week after launch, but analytics firms also noticed adoption was much higher than previous releases. Currently iOS 7 sits at about 77% of users, according to the latest data from Fiksu’s iOS Usage Monitor. While the chart above is only for devices released last year, things aren’t much better for newer Android devices. In comparison to iOS 7 adoption, Google reports that its latest release, Android 4.4 KitKat, is at just 1.1% weeks into launch. The previous release, Android 4.3, is at just 4.2%, while the majority of users remain on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean first released in July 2012.

A couple more charts below from Fidlee showing just how bad things are on Android:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12-3-13

9to5mac.com

2. guest

guest Active Member

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

The only thing directly comparable to an iPhone are the Google Nexus devices, because that's the only device Google has full control over. Perhaps the Experience devices will be updated just as quick, but we'll have to see. Otherwise this is more an indictment of the 3rd party manufacturers who'd rather move forward with new products than release updates for old ones.

And yet, Android is an open system, and Apple is not - which means that even the device on the bottom of their list ... the Samsung Captivate ... already has a ROM available for Android KitKat. It's only 4+ revisions out of date if you want to leave the decision to Samsung.

Unfortunately I elected to upgrade my iPad2 to IOS7, but wish I hadn't. Thanks Apple.

A Captivate user otoh can upgrade to KitKat or any other available ROM, and if they don't like how it runs, they can always revert.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

My girlfriend updated her iPhone 5 to iOS7, she doesn't seem to be too happy with it, at least not yet. I don't have any Apple devices, maybe an old iPod but I don't use it after picking it up at a garage sale. I still use portable CD players when I walk with headphones. I don't even have a smart phone, my only tablet is the HP TouchPad running an adapted Android ICS which I like well enough that when it is time to get another tablet, it will probably be an Android tablet. I think my children are split about evenly as far as Android and Apple with tablets and smart phones.

5. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

seems to me this is just more apple fan boy propaganda...
    i have noticed quite a few post about apple domination for the OP... and most are from Apple Insider and or some other Apple fan site... so...
    to point... I will never have apple for only one reason... IT IS A CLOSED SYSTEM... i would much rather deal with google android with all its short comings and flawed good intentions then apple...
    WE know best... so we lock up every thing to the point all you can do is move a freaking icon around on the screen or put them in folders... Oh joy.. the minute you move off the grid and cyanogen mod or any number of other roms... all that apple good fellowship is out the window... now... with apple... you cant go off the grid... its a walled garden... you can do what they want you to... meaning you can down load apps and move icons around on the screen.. perhaps change the wall paper... gee thats swell.... but... being one who roots and unlocks every thing i have cept for the nexus 7 and the GTV... i will tell you that the support that lives at the grass roots level for android... just dwarfs apple One way and only one way!! scheme.. point... i have a Asus transformer 101 that is at a stable release of JB and if i wanted i could go to nightly and get more features they are being included all the time.... i have 2 BN tablets that are sport a super stable cyanogen mod RC. and if i wanted to go nightly i would have updates many times over the week.... I have a Minix Neo x7 android box that has a super stable rom from finless that now supports 24p and Hardware acell full 1080p... and he has just released a new rom with more goodness... so... once you go off the grid and stop listening to the BIG COMPANIES... there is support for most any android device... with apple... well... you can always move the icons around or change the wallpaper.. if thats your thing... but i like a fun open device... nope this falls on def ears.. so...

but... i do look forward to the next article about how walmart, and cosco and toysRus are selling more Ipads then android,,, or how Apple has won a court decision because they have the patten on the rubberband action what ever they called it... and im sure i will hear more and more about how Apple is just slaying android in every category possible... and im betting more then a few of the articles will be from Apple Insider and 9 to 5 mac or Fanboi weekly.... but i will put a little more weight from a less bias source...

just my opinion... i will say the apple ipad has the best screen.. so thats something... and they seems to have a better PR machine..

6. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Well.......

Just thank-you for your opinion sir!!

7. guest

guest Active Member

Why are Android device manufacturers unwilling to cede the right to update the O.S. to Google? How would they be economically disadvantaged by doing so? I don't see why a manufacturer couldn't say to Google: We want these three unique features on our device. We will give you (Google) the right to independently update the O.S. - with the condition that these three features are incorporated in all updates.

Or maybe it's the ghosts of Grove syndrome. Andy Grove, the founder of Intel, was the author of the book: Only the Paranoid Survive. Perhaps manufacturers are paranoid that Google's involvement in their businesses, in this manner, "wouldn't be prudent" [insert Dana Carvey doing an impression of Bush senior here].

Or maybe it's all part of the plan, to sell more and newer devices to those that just have to have the latest update!

8. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Manufacturer's don't want their devices to be turned in to commodities (Samsung adds a lot of features to their Note device for instance that aren't part of Android), but they do have the option to offer a Google Experience version of their device to those who prefer the quicker updates.