Quantcast

Update for Youtube for GoogleTV comming soon..

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by tamanaco, Feb 13, 2012.

1. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I honestly, think it is retarded for them to implement it as a local app. Unless of course the app itself, acts as a single site web browser. I understand the desire to multitask the video or audio which isn't currently viable through Chrome. However, quite honestly there is no other reason to implement it as a local app. The entire YouTube service is online, so there's very little reason to tie up local resources for its implementation. I suppose if they want to start enforcing heavier encryption algorithms for movie rentals then that would be valid point. However, I didn't see that as being suggested or inferred in the blog.

• Like Like x 2
  3. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

My view has always been that having a "dedicated" client for a "specific" online service is always best. Your mileage may vary. I have nothing against browsers, but as a "universal" client, by definition, it can not be optimized for any one specific service. I know that browser plug-ins and add-ons can some times solve this issue, but some of these add-ons step on each other toes and end up causing issues for end users. For the services to provide an uninterrupted and pleasant experience for their users it is easier to provide support and to a certain extent guarantee service if they fully control both ends of the equation (server+client). The user experience is even better when they also control the infrastructure. (Cable companies do this) As you mentioned, youtube is most likely going to provide pay-per-view streams which will required the enforcement of some copyright controls. A dedicated client facilitates this. There are some content owners (not necessarily the content provider) that do not allow their content to be displayed in certain devices or in any browser. The user experience of Chrome on GoogleTV is an good example of the restrains put by content owners. It's not only a browser technology issue, but having a client that makes the content owner confident that the service provider that is streaming their content can protect their their investment.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  4. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

this was just pushed to my revue.. and I LIKE IT!!!
    the thing i did not like about the youtube was that it was too vast.. and you always had to drill down.. now its much more streamlined.. and the picture quality seems to be improved speed, its more intuitive now.. its a better experience then what it was.. very happy with the new app... its one of the best things about gtv.. i would get GTV just for this one youtube app.. jmoh..

• Like Like x 2
  5. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

I just found the new Youtube APP in the android market, but always get the following message:

"This app is not compatible with your tv"

Just curious... I think that the YouTube APP is build-in the system like Netflix and Chrome... So how can I update or install on the Sony NSZ-GT1 this new YouTube APP ,from the market or sideload)?

6. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Thank You, Scuzzo!

I just checked My Apps in Market and there it was on the top w/other Apps awaiting updates. Gotta check it more often. Didn't get a Notification.

I'm over the top w/this one. From the little I had time to check out, my favorites were finally lined up in a user friendly form. Still gotta check out the search function. But so far am impressed with what I've seen.

Carl

7. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

yea, its super slick now.. i just went to watch some top gear show on the veron sports car.. and it aggregated every thing else so not only do i get more shows related to the veron but other clarkson specials, and super cars and the like.. i can see this new app being a step to googles streaming service.. once they start to push in that direction.. this new app is a great improvement over the old one.. i dont know the future for the revue.. but im sure i will keep google tv be it samsung or vizio or what ever... its too usefull not to have some iteration...

8. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi

Recently I lost all my live news sites. I now know it was because I referenced it to a member of this site that participated in the Project TV thread. So the site is now gone.

You Tube, I hope is the legal alternative to sites I once deemed in compliance with the media streaming protection demands that so many sites have failed to comply with. But that thread was an FBI or some other FCC agency task force related internet spoof to identify and eliminate such sites. I'm truly disappointed w/my fellow GTV posters. Ya can't be that stupid. Or can you???

You Tube faces the same types of problems. So far they have prevailed. But one day this App may not even matter if everything we click on is deemed to be protected material. We are entering phase 2 of media streaming via you tube.

Fingers crossed.

Carl

9. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Your probably trying to install the wrong youtube app - The correct one says youtube for google tv and can be found at https://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.youtube.googletv when your logged in.

10. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

DRM is part of the update as if you look at what is new in the app it says -
    What's in this version:

1. Channel Browser - Discover YouTube Channels on Google TV, subscribe to channels, see channel entity page, select playlists
    2. Pivoting - See related videos, see more videos from the same user
    3. Improved performance - new animated video selector carousel, improved performance of loading video thumbnails
    4. Visual guide to thumbs, comments to videos
    5. Type to search anywhere
    6. In-app DRM playback for youtube.com/movies

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Nice. Thanks for pointing that out.

12. Mycroft

Mycroft New Member

I'm a little disappointed that it seems you still can't browse the videos in a playlist without first playing the first video in the list. On the bright side you can now browse more than the first 30 videos in the list.

13. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

The best part of the new youtube app is the search function if you ask me. I love being able to search for something and then get more of those type videos by pressing the right pad on my sony keypad. I forgot what that pad was called that I use that has the menu and home button on it :p

I just wish the app would return more recent videos more often then it does.

14. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

I like it, it allow quick browsing of the list while playing full screen - every press down (info) displays more videos & it does auto-play @ the end.

Cheers

15. mcd2000

mcd2000 Active Member

Hmm... No updates in the GTV Market. Found the app on the web market.android.com. It has install button, but GTV says "Update of YouTube Google TV unsuccessful". I suppose they are playing with region restrictions again. :(

16. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

ok, it has now been pushed to my second revue.. really dig this new app.. i was watching Louie (louis CK).. and after watching it i hopped over to the new youtube and caught some of his live shows.. the search function is quite nice.. i would say this is a perfect companion to the google search app.. if this is the direction youtube wants to go i say more power to them.. this has made my revue 88% more usefull.. now if they can only iron out their major network / HULU problems.. this thing will really take off.. even if they dont for 99 bucks is a no brainer.. best thing thats happened to TV since cable..

17. vetvito

vetvito New Member

You can add a comment now, that's great. I haven't found a way to view them though.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

18. Xandor

Xandor New Member

I'm liking this update, no more network experiencing issues or problems playing my playlists.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

19. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

more reasons to like the new youtube app..

im a cyclist.. so i have a few cycling channels in my subscriptions on youtube
    now it brakes down the TDF by year.. this is amazing.. the whole sorting algorithm google is using now is quite nice..
    youtube is becoming the google search of video.. any topic you wish.. will branch out to many many different options and it will suggest other things to research..
    if you are a guitarist such as me... then this is really cool for checking out tech on pedals amps different guitars.. or players or whatever..
    i guess you can do the same thing with the web site.. but the experience seems tailored made for GTV... i hope they keep going this direction with apps..
    although.. im not sure what else would really be needed as far as app go.. seems that content is the driving force for GTV.. not shopping list and face book chat stuff
    they need to knock down the network walls.. hulu and such.. dont know if it will happen... but the device is solid as far as functionality..

20. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

+1