Quantcast

Update For Google TV At End Of Summer

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Exclusive: Logitech Confirms Android Market Update For Google TV At End Of Summer

June 21st, 2011 by The Droid Guy
    [​IMG]Tonight while attending the GDGT tech party in New York City we spent some time with Logitech, the manufacturer behind the Logitech Revue, Google TV set top box.

Yesterday we reported that Google TV has been spotted in the Android Market under devices. Well today we learned from a Logitech that Logitech is already beta testing the next Google TV update with Android in toe. When asked when the update would hit Logitech Revue owners she also confirmed that it would be available in late August or early September.

Google excited developers at the Google I/O convention back in May by encouraging development of Google TV apps. Of course Apps need a way of being delivered in the Android Market is that way. Google TV will receive an update that brings Android 3.x to Google TV appliances allowing developers to develop interactive Google TV apps and allowing users to benefit from those developments.

SOURCE

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Just because Google is now claiming/promising late summer for the new release does not mean that it is set in stone 100% guaranteed. Remember Google has made several 'promises' previously about releasing the android market for Google TV - and every one of those promises was broken and met with a new promise of some future later date. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Google delayed one more time in late summer - and the update finally comes to fruition around the holiday season.

3. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Will Google TV 2.0 embrace cord cutting?

By Janko Roettgers Jun. 22, 2011

Geek.com just published a few photos of Google TV’s Fishtank development hardware — a device that has been given to a limited number of developers to get a head-start on app development for the next iteration of the Google TV platform. It’s a pretty nondescript piece of hardware, which comes with the standard Logitech Google TV keyboard, but there’s one detail that caught my attention: The back of the unit features two antenna ports, suggesting that the next iteration of Google TV could embrace cord cutting.
    [​IMG]
    Google has long tried to align its TV platform with pay TV operators, emphasizing it’s complementary to and not a replacement of, cable. That belief was also part of the design of the Logitech Revue Google TV set-top box, which gets access to live TV by inserting itself into the HDMI chain between your cable box and your TV.

The Revue didn’t feature an ATSC tuner, which would have made it possible to watch free over-the-air HD TV. The Fishtank hardware, on the other hand, does seem to have such a tuner, as well as the antenna input to go along with it. This could mean that users of the device could get HD broadcast programming and augment it with Google TV content and apps without paying for a TV subscription.

The caveat to all of this, of course, is that this is just development hardware, which doesn’t necessarily reflect how the final products will look. Heck, for all we know, Logitech could be sticking with its current set-top box design for years to come.
    However, there will also be new Google TV devices from other manufacturers, and the fact that Google has decided to add the antenna port to the developers box could reflect that the important of over-the-air TV for Google TV is growing — be it through ATSC tuners integrated in TV sets running the platform or through dedicated antenna ports on next-generation Google TV boxes.
    SOURCE

4. CatfishRivers

There are 2 problems with cord cutting as I see it 1) A lot of people can't get a satisfactory TV reception with an antenna. Where I live even an outdoor antenna does me no good 2) Comcast and the other Cable TV providers also control the 'pipe' infrastructure that delivers the broadband internet. They are not dummies - if they see people jumping ship from cable TV they will make the money back by charging more for broadband. This goes for Verizon Fios also. Comcast already charges a higher broadband fee to those that subscribe 'solo' for broadband service - (without also subscribing to a TV plan).

5. bidger

bidger Member

They have to do something because Google TV could be called a failure at this point in time. Product rolled out in late Oct. 2010. If it can't be more fully realized 10 months later, then the "failure" moniker fits.

I can't pickup CBS-HD (sub-channel for the local ABC affiliate) or FOX-HD (low power broadcast) with a chimney-mounted VHF/UHF antenna with rotor, so it kinda pisses me off when I see some cord cutter zealot spouts, "Just put up an antenna", as though it's some kinda magic wand. I'm one those who does TWC's Road Runner ""naked" and it's $55/mo., but DSL sucks and that's my only alternative. And I agree that if there are enough cord cutters, the "pipe" controllers will take action.

6. galfert

galfert Active Member

Those two antenna ports are for WiFi antenna not for a TV signal.
    There is no cord cutting as Google envisions the Google TV initiative. Google TV has been designed as an add on to your current Cable TV service.

7. CatfishRivers

Perhaps Google should re-think this strategy. The networks are obviously not in the mood to cooperate and neither is Comcast. Yahoo TV has overlays of live programs on-screen - but those live overlays are designed by the broadcasters themselves. Maybe it's time to give up on this notion of peacefully coinciding as an add-on to cable TV and the networks - and instead just give us a full undetectable desktop Chrome browser so the networks and Comcast can't block Google TV. Give us all the codecs including Windows media player and bit torrent apps. There could still be some kind of TV search also. Just a thought.

8. daddypants

daddypants New Member

There are plenty of good sites around that are streaming the networks live as they play on tv. I can't link any here, but they are easy enough to find. And if you want the content in HD then just torrent it and watch it later instead, as if it was a DVR. The Google TV user isn't new to this stuff, we are savvy and will find a way to get our content whether the networks like it or not. Its comical how sites like nbc.com and hulu block my precious google tv from streaming it legally, when its just as easy to get it in better quality without the stupid pop ups and commercials on another site. the people who would be flustered by the blocking of content from a site like hulu does likely wouldn't own a google tv to begin with. all these sites like abc and cbs are doing by blocking our tvs is cutting off traffic to their sites. we will get to see our shows regardless. these people are just shooting themselves in the foot, its laughable.

I have a LG pz950 and 3 google tvs. The only thing the LG has over the Google TVs is Plex Media Server, and that is free software. So if anybody in the dev team is reading this, please make this happen for me. The big thing Google tv is missing is Plex. It makes your torrent downloads look like netflix on your tv, and it makes a big difference in the experience. Please put this free software on the google tvs, it would be easy to add, maybe in the app store.

9. wangyin

wangyin New Member

Network is now popular, many consumers choose to appear at neighborhood television!