Quantcast

Unsuccessful first launch of Netflix App...

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by rob0602, Sep 27, 2011.

1. rob0602

rob0602 New Member

I tried using the Netflix App for the first time and was given the same error message as I received when I repeatedly tried to launch the application after soft and hard reboots and after confirming a good Wifi signal/ internet access-all following the initial attempt. Netflix reps pointed their finger at sony. sony reps hung up in defeat after placing me on extended holds( God, I love hat). any ideas?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I've noticed that most quirky problems with the Netflix application for new owners are usually solved by logging into the Netflix webpage. Then initiating at least one movie through the web interface which in turn calls up the Netflix application with the appropriate movie.

3. rob0602

rob0602 New Member

TY Eferz...I tried just that a moment ago. When I chose the movie, I was asked if I wanted to complete that action with Google chrome or the Netflix app. when I chose Netflix, I ended up withe same error message re: not being able to be connected with netflix...try going to netflix.com/tv help. I have called Netflix and Sony support and noone seems to know on those 2 fronts.

4. rob0602

rob0602 New Member

Anybody else have any insight on this issue? Sony 6" GTV Netflix App not starting(for he first time...it has never started)?

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Can you connect to Netflix on your other computer equipment through your network?

6. rob0602

rob0602 New Member

Yes..and I finally was able to reach a Sony rep that was familiar with a fix for this issue....an issue apparantly that "came with" the TV(technical terms....not so much). When I initiated the Netflix app and reached the familiar error message, "Unable to connect to Netflix at this time", I was instructed to execute a seriees of keystrokes to access a submenu/sub protocol that yielded a page bearing alot of 411 and an option to cancel or "deactivate". When I selected "deactivate", BOOM, the Netflix queue I had not seen before appeared and from that point on, Netflix has been wide open. The required keystroke sequence is as follows(for anyone interested): <using the arrow keys on the sony remote> UP, UP...DOWN DOWN...LEFT, RIGHT....LEFT, RIGHT...UP, UP....UP, UP.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Doh, and that support tip is used on the Logitech Forums often. Sorry, I thought for some reason it was exclusive to Logitech Revue.

• Like Like x 2
  8. rob0602

rob0602 New Member

I'm sure I'm late to the party on this one, but if it helps anyone out, it will be worth it. The Sony rep also addressed a question I had re: the infamous "Shockwave Plug In Crash" phenomenon I am way too familiar with. I was told to access the Settings menu(Function +1 on Sony remote), select Applications(as on a Google phone), select the "Google Chrome"App and then select "Force Close" option, followed by selecting "Clear Data"; at this point, power the TV down and restart in 30 seconds. This was referred to as a temporary fix by Sony.