Quantcast

Unable to view cable TV thru Revue

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by GMan, Oct 26, 2010.

1. GMan

GMan New Member

I received my Revue yesterday and had problems with setup. I have a Samsung DLP (HL-R5067W). CableVision is my cable service provider and I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR set-top-box. I've omitted my A/V Receiver for now.

I was unable to get the cable signal thru the Revue while the Revue functions were available. I finally called Logitech Support and after almost an hour did get a picture briefly, but once I went back to the Revue features couldn't get the cable signal, again. The brief working period occurred after swapping the 2 HDMI cables with each other and powering down the Revue. So, there wasn't a specific, defined corrective procedure recommended by Support that resolved the problem and trying this ad-hoc procedure several more times failed to get the same successful result.

My troubleshooting plans include buying another HDMI cable and trying the Revue on a Samsung LCD TV before calling Support, again. BTW, the SA Explorer 8300HD is not a menu choice on the Revue.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. GMan

GMan New Member

I swapped my 2 SA8300HD cable boxes and surprisingly this one works!

3. DavidM

DavidM New Member

Some cable boxes have a feature called "signal pass-trhough" that needs to be enabled if the box is not connected directly to an avr or tv. I have a comcast DCX3400 and it works fine with Revue and TV but when I include my avr in the setup I have the same problem - tv signal appears briefly after switching cables and then the cable box starts scrambling the signal and all I get is a solid green screen. Logitech support's advice was to keep the avr out of the chain conncetion but run the sound through it using an optical cable from Revue. This works fine but there's more clicking to get everything to work in the proper input channel so now I am looking into getting a Logitech Harmony Universal remote to solve this problem.

4. moussam

moussam New Member

I have been having similar issues with the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD DVR. Whenever I plug the HDMI cable in to the logitech revue from this STB, it works for like 30 seconds and then stops and also brings the revue down to a crawl making it very slow and unresponsive. I then have to unplug the STB and reboot.

5. waynew73

waynew73 New Member

I have the Sony BlueRay Dvd Google Tv connected to my Cablevision SA 8300HD dvr and it worked perfectly upon installation. Sony provided one HD cable and I already had one I had bought previously from BestBuy. I didn't have to make any special adjustments to settings on dvr. My connection followed the suggested route of out from dvr into Google box then out from Google to the Tv.

Sent from my Samsung Tab on AT&T using Tapatalk Pro

6. JBP

JBP New Member

I have the same problem when hooking my Sony Google TV through my AV receiver. Let me know if you fine a better answer then running optical audio to the receiver for doing this I lose a great deal of features like ease of control and turning my AV on and off through my TV.

7. scappr

scappr New Member

I also got a Sony Blu-Ray Google TV set and fought that son of a gun for an hour with everything from the optical finger pad to programming the set top box. Then I thought "It can't be THIS crappy, not Sony!" Then I changed out the brand new Sony batteries that came with the set and darn if that wasn't the problem! Sony now owes me a set of AA batteries but i'm not holding my breath.

8. HTPCUser

HTPCUser New Member

Set up Sony blue ray gtv yesterday I have been pleased with it so far, however I have a problem with the live TV.
    The live tv is cycling through 4 screens: snow screen, blank screen, green screen and the cable channel itself. It does this about every 3 seconds between screens.

This is the connection config; Cox cable to Sony gtv to Yamaha surround sound to TV. All connections are done with HDMI cables.

When I remove the Yamaha and go to the TV this issue stops. I ran a set of RCA cables out of the TV to the Yamaha for sound ever thing work, however there is a big difference in the sound quality and a loss of sound seperation. Spoke with Sony and they are telling me that the cable signal is not strong enough to go through that many devices. Spoke with Cox and the signal strength was at peak.

????

9. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Try Cox-Yamaha-GTV-TV with HDMI. Do you have an optical cable on hand?

10. HTPCUser

HTPCUser New Member

alphawave7,

Yes i picked an optical cable up but the Yamaha is two years old and does not have a port just the gtv, cable and tv have one.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy New Member

Hi all. I've found a way around my cable 'green screen' security issue when using HDMI and passing video first through avr and then from avr to tv/projector. I found that using an HDMI splitter, specifically one that I had for another application, caused enough data or security level difference to allow my Comcast DCT3400 cable box to work as expected (audio and video) when connected via HDMI. The splitter splits the incoming HDMI signal into 2 equal signals routing to different destinations, like showing on a monitor and projecter or any other display or av devices that accept HDMI input. The monoprice splitter is only $23.49 (plus shipping) from Monoprice (google it). The model number is MP-SP08 or search for item number 8204.

So my connections are as follows:
    Comcast DCT3400 video out (HDMI) to Monoprice HDMI splitter input (HDMI)
    Monoprice splitter HDMI out 1 (HDMI) to Logitech Revue HDMI input (HDMI)
    Logitech Revue HDMI out (HDMI) to Sony STR-DN1010 receiver's HDMI-3 in (HDMI)
    Sony receiver HDMI out (HDMI) to my Epson projector

It all works now. I struggled with all kinds of ways to get the cable signal to work with Revue with all ending in green or blank screen until I split the HDMI out signal with the HDMI splitter. Mind you, I just did this today but it seemed to work and for under $30, it may be worth it. This way you do not have to downgrade to using optical audio cables or bypass your AVR just because Comcast decided to limit it's video out to 2 video-in-HDMI-chain. I hope other Comcast boxes or newer firmware will resolve issue.

Question: Does anyone have Revue working with Comcast receivers (via HDMI) with full audio/video and going through an av/receiver? If so, which comcast box and settings and firmware/menu version?

Comment: I've had Revue for a short time and I like it, don't love it, but this challenge had to be overcome, and so I did it. Pass it on. The biggest drawback is a somewhat clunky Netflix interface (nice but not as good as Roku's app) and no direct app for Amazon Video OnDemand ... you are forced to use the Google Chrome interface which is primative when compared to the Roku Amazon app. I have several Roku video streaming devices and wish I could take the google.tv and revue's features and marry them ... the perfection... but for the recent price of $99 the Revue is worth it ... for the novelty if nothing else.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  12. thebatteryguy

thebatteryguy New Member

I just called comcast tech support. I have the motorola dct-6416(silver) box and was told that this device only supports the signal going thru 2 hdcp devices. The newer (black) box can handle 3 hdcp devices. He told me to exchange my older silver unit with the newer black colored unit ans this with solve my problem of losing my picture. I use hdmi for all connections .

13. mediaguy

mediaguy New Member

I hope 'thebatteryguy''s suggestions works. However I have a new 'black box' and it would not accept 3 hdcp devices, limited to 2 ... but I do notice that my box seems to be behind in menu\firmware than my supposedly older boxes ... oh well. I have my fix, but I'll be interested to know if that solution works for people.

14. gtaguy

gtaguy New Member

New to this forum Had to help out.

This is for those users of Scientific Atlanta 8300hd model or most Scientific Atlanta STB..

To correct the issue with not being able to see the television on the revue. You must do the
    following..

1. go into your General Setting of your STB.
    2. Scroll down till you see Set: Picture Format
    3. Once your on that menu change it to AutoDVI/HDMI , save and exit from the settings
    4. reconnect your hdmi to your Revue box and you should start hearing and seeing audio and video on your Revue.
    Note: I got video and audio right away.. After about 30min the screen when blank and i lost signal.
    The workaround i found for this is to pull out and plug in the hdmi in cable and audio and video are back. .

Hope this helps.