Quantcast

Unable to update - "Sub-system not initialized"

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by gmichelson, Aug 27, 2012.

1. gmichelson

gmichelson New Member

I wonder if anyone else had a similar problem and was able to resolve it. My Co-Star does not do system update, when I go into update menu option, I get system message - "Sub-System is not initialized, would you like to retry?", Yes/No. Hitting Yes multiple times does nothing. I tried software and hardware resets and connecting it to WiFi or wired port. Vizio support thinks it's an issue with my ISP and port blocking, but I highly doubt that.

Thank you,
    George

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Give this force update a try (not tested yet) – here

Also,

• Did you try a full factory reset on Costar? here
    • Try to perform a factory reset on your Router (assuming there is one).

Good luck

3. gmichelson

gmichelson New Member

I tried full factory reset (and software only reset). I tried force update - it did not change anything . I tried to create new account from the unit itself and used that for logging in. I do not have a router - I have Linux box with Shorewall firewall. I have not rebooted that box for a very long time nor I see a need for it, I was monitoring connections of Co-Start using firewall commands - it connects to variety of Google servers over ports 80 and 443. I am really out of ideas what else to try.

4. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

Well, if you have a nice neighbor ;), take it over & give it a try.

5. soelvar

soelvar New Member

Hi,

Did you solve the issue...I have the same problem...sub-system not......etc.

6. gmichelson

gmichelson New Member

I did - by exchanging the unit. I was able to convince support that it's not networking issue as they said it was and they shipped new co-star to me. Other one worked out of the box.

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear about this issue. Hopefully it won't be a widespread issue. I have a similar problem in that my Logitech Revue was not able to update from the 3.1 OS to the 3.2 OS. It has been determined that a certain amount of Logitech Revues shipped from the factory with corrupt firmware. So as far as the Revue was concerned - there was no fix for the corrupt firmware issue other than exchanging the Revue. Unfortunately mine is out of warranty (but still working good on the 3.1 OS).

8. gmichelson

gmichelson New Member

I got also contacted by one more user on Google+ who has same issue, so by now we know at least of 3 cases ...

9. Len_Smith

Len_Smith New Member

*** POTENTIAL USERS BEWARE - VIZIO SUPPORT IS FRIENDLY, BUT INCOMPETENT ***

I have been having that is the worst customer service experience I have encountered to date. The issue boils down to the fact that some Vizio Co-Star units ship needing a firmware update. In my case, the unit shipped with V3.2 and the current is V3.5. I ordered this unit direct from Vizio. Certain units present a "Sub-system not initialized" error. When this occurs, and provided that there aren't any networking issues, the owner is screwed. The must run the gauntlet of Co-Star technical support and work through the rule-out process.

At first, the remediation efforts made sense, you know, reset the unit, run through the set-up and see if the update occurs. Then they told me my wireless was the problem, even though the unit could access the internet. I was told to "hardwire" the unit to the network and wait for 24 - 48 hours. I did, still no success. Next, the asked me if the unit was attached directly to the "modem" or through the router. I explained that it was a Cable Modem through a Switch. They asked me to attach the unit to the router because the Switch was a problem. As an aside, I am very familiar with networking, and my switch could not have presented an issue.

Never the less, I did as they asked and waited another 24 hours. Still nothing. Three chat sessions and two phone calls with technical support. Finally, the Chat attend told me that I was eligible for an exchange and to call the toll free number. I did and I ended up back with another Level 1 support representative, who told me that the Chat rep was wrong I was on the phone for 45 minutes, with the rep taking long breaks to "talk to someone." He told me that my ISP (Cox) was probably blocking the ports (80 and 443) which isn't something that Cox does. We went back and forth on the issues. I mentioned that this issue has been discussed on forums such as GoogleTV and in the end, the units needed to be returned. When the new unit arrived, all was fine.

I asked the rep to provide me with the NOC server IP address and if I can ping it, there is probably not a network issue. I was told that was proprietary information. The last suggestion was to ask me to take this to a neighbor's house to see if it worked on that network. I was floored. I can see where I might try that, but to hear a customer service rep actually instruct me to do that was a stunner. Essentially, if I didn't do that, he couldn't help me any further. I asked him to connect me to customer service because I planned to return the unit outright as defective.

I spoke to customer service, who looked at the case history. They told me that I could return the unit, but would need to pay a restocking fee. At that point, I asked to escelate the issue and they said that the office was closed and no one was there to refer this to. I was calling at 8:00 PM EST. The posted hours list Customer Service closing at 7:00 PM PST. When I asked him about this, he had a hard time responding. I asked to speak to a manager, but "none were available."

Finally I told the rep that I planned to protest the charge with AMEX.

10. gmichelson

gmichelson New Member

Len, your experience with VIZIO tech support is matching mine, except I did not give up and jump thru all the hoops they suggested and did call during stupid work hours they had and had call escalated and did get a replacement unit. I took way too much time, but I did it and as a reward I have working Co-Star... Not sure if it was worth it - I do like the unit, but amount of aggravation was high.