Quantcast

UK Police Seize Android Set-Top Boxes Used For Piracy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 2, 2015.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Now that is interesting. My opinion after owning one of the no-name Android mini PCs as I explained in a review here, the boxes are worthless for any of the mainstream legal streaming services, I sure tried to make it work acceptably and couldn't. The obvious use was piracy, nothing else made sense to me, but I didn't expect any country to seize the boxes because they are well suited for piracy and not much else.

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say they are worthless. Flawed? Sure. But plugged in to a hotel TV over shaky hotel wifi or cell phone hot spot, and it's not so much about quality as it is watchability. The fact I could run Slingplayer on it, web browser (needed to login to hotel wifi), Splashtop, or any other Android app is pretty handy.

On my next trip, I plan to try out my Fire TV stick. I don't know if Google fixed it, but last time I tried the Chromecast had no means to connect to a Hotel WiFi.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

As an inexpensive Android PC running a browser and Android apps, I think it is OK, but for the mainstream streaming services or media playback, worst device I own that can do those things. I haven't tried anything connected to a hotel TV and hotel Wi-Fi for streaming so I don't know what works or doesn't work.

Almost any computer or computer like appliance can be used for piracy, Windows PC, Apple TV, Roku, etc. It is funny the article shows a picture of Amazon Fire TV and Asus Nexus Player Android TV, those are surely not being seized although both can certainly be used for piracy, both work well with the mainstream legal services.

I am not planning on following the story but I will assume only boxes that are actually being used for piracy are being seized.

5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I imagine this is more about what was preloaded on to the devices and how they were being advertised.

Anyway, I'm back from my trip and my Fire Stick performed pretty well. Sometimes the web page for reconnecting to the Hotel WiFi didn't come up right away. SlingPlayer had some issues. I was using a sideloaded copy because Dish doesn't support my Slingbox with their official App on Fire Tv, and it was unhappy because the Google environment wasn't present. I could fix this if the Stick was rootable, but currently it's not; but if I wiped data and relogged in, I could use it again.

When the Hotel wifi got shaky, I was able to Miracast from my phone and that worked pretty well. Amazon Prime worked fine as well. The Hotel WiFi seemed able to deliver about 1Mbps. When it dipped lower than that there were significant quality problems, but above that and the video was acceptable.

Overall I was pleased compared to other devices I've tried.