Quantcast

UG 802 Rockchip RK3066 Dual Core Android Mini PC Priced As Low As $69

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Sep 14, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

UG802 Rockchip RK3066 Android mini PC priced as low as $69 - Liliputing (click for full article)

"The UG802 Android mini PC seems to be following a path blazed by the MK802 before it. Both of these are tiny PC-on-a-stick devices that look like big USB thumb drives.

But they actually include processors, memory, storage, and input and output ports, letting you connect a monitor, mouse, or keyboard and use them like little, low power Android computers.

When the UG802 first went on sale last month, retailers were charging around $89 for the mini PC. Now you can pick one up for just $69.

The UG802 features a Rockchip RK3066 ARM Cortex-A9 dual core processor, 1GB of RAM, and 4GB of storage. It features a microSD card slot, HDMI and USB ports, and built-in WiFi.

The CPU should make the little box noticeably faster than the MK802, which has a single core ARM Cortex-A8 chip. The advantage to picking up an MK802 at this point is that there are already a variety of Linux-based operating systems including Fedora and Ubuntu which have been ported to run on the platform. That hasn't happened yet with the UG802, but I suspect it's just a matter of time.

Like the MK802, the UG802 is manufactured in China and sold by a number of different distributors. And like the MK802, the pricing seems to vary pretty greatly from one retailer to the next.

A number of sellers are offering the UG802 at AliExpress for $69 and up - but be careful to make sure you're getting what you pay for. Some AliExpress sellers have a habit of writing misleading information in their headlines or product descriptions (which is why you get a lot of listings that have both UG802 and MK802 in the headlines).

Meanwhile PandaWill is selling the device for $69, and offering lower wholesale prices for resellers.

OvalElephant has also knocked a few bucks off its price. The company had been charging $90 for the UG802, but now you can get one for $87."

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

$89 UG802 Android 4.0 Mini PC with RK3066 chip: video overview - Liliputing (click for full article)

"The UG802 is a tiny PC-on-a-stick powered by a Rockchip RK3066 ARM Cortex-A9 dual core processor. It looks a lot like the MK802 Mini PC, but that model has slower, single core ARM Cortex-A8 Allwinner A10 CPU.

South African distributor Reno Botes has been keeping us up to date on the progress of the UG802 for a few weeks, and now he's shared some videos showing the little PC in action."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  3. CatfishRivers

Rockchip RK3066 now Google Certified (CTS passed) | ARCTABLET NEWS (click for full article)

BY ADMIN - 2012/05/30

"Our friend Charbax posted on his blog that Rockchip RK3066 CPU is now Google Certified.

While this has been already pointed ealier at HKTDC fair, it now seems to be more concrete, but we haven't yet found any official statement from Rockchip, we surely will update this article as it happens.

Google Android Compatibility Test Suite certification

Google Android Compatibility Test Suite certification (CTS) is a collection of thousands of tests that can be performed on any Android device and provide exhaustive testing coverage of the device hardware (graphics, camera, WiFI, touchscreen, accelerometer...) Passing the CTS is a necessary step to be able to use the Android logo on a device and is one of the conditions to access Google Play / Android Market.

The certification of Rockchip RK3066 is good news for future Archos/Arnova devices that may use this platform and should finally be able to offer Google Play.

Other supported features:
    - Google Widevine DRM are supported
    - OTA (over-the-air) update Supported

Source: armdevices.net"

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  4. CatfishRivers

Finless ROM 1.4 for the UG802 mini PC: Root access, more app storage space - Liliputing (click for full article)

"The UG802 is a tiny, inexpensive mini PC with a Rockchip RK3066 dual core ARM Cortex-A9 processor. It looks like a USB flash drive, but it's a fully functional little computer with an HDMI connector at one end and a USB port at the other.

That lets you plug it right into a TV or monitor, while hooking up a keyboard and/or mouse for input.

Out of the box, the UG802 runs Google Android 4.0. But if you're not happy with the default software, FreakTab's Finless has put together a custom version of Android with a number of enhancements.

Finless ROM 1.4 for the UG802 is pre-rooted, and allows you to run apps that require root access or alter files and folders that would otherwise be protected.

It also includes:

A Google Play Store fix that lets you view most apps in Google's store
    A stock Android 4.0 app launcher (which you can use instead of the UG802's custom launcher if you want)
    A reboot app that lets you reboot the UG802 without pulling the plug (since there's no power button)
    Option to repartition the storage space to provide 1GB of app storage (which is nearly twice what the UG802 ships with)
    Finless has also removed some apps to save space. You can always download them from the Play Store if you really need them."

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  5. CatfishRivers

It's my understanding that you can use a USB to Ethernet adapter with these devices - and likely improve overall performance compared to wi-fi. Here's a link to the kind of adapter that should work for this purpose. I noticed that some sellers on EBay include this kind of adapter with the product. These adapters (several different brands) are also sold on AliExpress at reasonable prices:

Amazon.com: USB to RJ45 Compact Fast Ethernet Adapter made for Android Tablets; also Windows, Linux - by BobjGear: Computers & Accessories

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  6. HarpoonIPA

HarpoonIPA New Member

How do these android devices stack up to Google TV units?

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Although there are certainly similarities, the key differences as I see it are important. Google TV is an internet streaming box/digital media player designed to bring together a traditional TV source with internet TV and the Android mini PCs are just that, basically inexpensive Android computers. The big disadvantages for Google TV are Adobe Flash is stuck at 10.2, Android is at 3.2, the Chrome Browser is at 11, and maybe most importantly to somebody interested in something like the Android mini PCs, Google TV isn't very friendly to the Android hacking community, I can't think of anything useful that has happened in that regard. The mini PCs on the other hand can be updated to recent versions of most all of the software and are apparently very friendly to hackers. If you are like me and not adept at hacking anything and want a streaming box, Google TV uses a modified Android operating system that is better suited for its purpose, the HDMI input and overlay and control of other devices in the home entertainment system can be handled well with Google TV, it just fits in that type of system well in my opinion. If you want an inexpensive Android device to hack around with and use to stream video from websites, the Android mini PCs are surely better suited. The mini PCs are as far as I know all made by no name Chinese manufacturers with no mainstream company support, not certified by Google and who knows if there will be anybody to help with issues and bug fixes.

Google TV meets my needs so I don't own one of the Android mini PCs. The Google TV apps for the various streaming services and apps available from the Play Store are useful to me. There are some things Roku does better than Google TV so I own Roku also but my primary smart TV boxes are various Google TV models.

8. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hmm...

Not so sure...I checked out the software for these Android & Windows mini PCs. I thought that would be the logical step up in having an overall full capacity experience short of the full PC route. MSN and the Android sources I checked all stated the limitations of these devices as far as software downloads were concerned. They can't simply download available software as can be done on the most basic computer. They must be supported by the originators of these devices & in many cases the support just isn't there.

Win Media Player's most recent upgrade, Silverlight, etc., are NOT supported. On the Android versions many duplicate the current GTV interface. The browser is still stuck on the current GTV version.

Just take another look at these devices before ya buy...

Carl

9. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

there is a lot of bad information here so im not going point by point.. the differences between the google tv box and an android box lay in a hdmi input and one system is closed to development... all this other stuff is just conjecture, if you dont have one then you dont know for sure what you are talking about, if you get a good android box with good support and a strong dev community.. then you can progress with rooting or roms or any number of things.. you will not be tied to a cable box or so all the TV guide stuff is not a factor. in point of fact the little android boxes are more efficient. and at a grass roots level better supported then any google tv box.. because the devs get down to code level... if it breaks.. its not put in que to have the tech look at the issue when convenient, you pretty much just let the dev know what issues with the rom are.. and they contact you and you dialog... as for downloading software... you have access to hundreds of thousands of apps... because the android set top box is just a tablet as far as google is concerned... once rooted you have full access to every bit of the machine... you can truly over clock... or under clock.. you can put up add blockers.. you can back every thing up to a system level... and then there is XBMC... and that facet alone should really tip the scales... its so broad a topic i cant even go into detail.. but once you try it... on a machine that can handle it... there is no going back.. mho.. and thats another point... you see you have development on 3 different fronts... you have
    the gooogle play store, new apps coming all the time. and the firmware.. either the company will be putting out an update every few months or you can root and see things progress on a week by week level.. and thats kinda fun to see.. and you have the whole XBMC frodo app.. which in its self is a huge dev community that concerns its self with ascetics of the user interface (skins). addons (content plugins) or XBMC its self which moves at a much slower pace.. thats all the behinds the scene structure works and stuff... so... if you want to know about android tv boxes... find a good forum... xda developers forum is a good place to start... and the xbmc forum under android. and then you can go by the maker of the device, mine is a minix neo x5.. MINIX Forums - Unofficial but there are a lot of others... its a much more active kinda hobby tv box then the google tv.. which is pretty much just passive, static... and tied to a support system that really could care less about aggressive development... my point is some like these some dont, but you would be better served to research forums that have first hand experience with these android boxes and not just conjecture and opinions... thats JMH opinion...

10. ChrisG8

So you are saying I am wrong, mainstream companies are supporting these Android mini PCs, no reliance on the Android hacking community? Go ahead and name the companies, if there are none, what exactly are you claiming was misinformation? You think no development is happening for Google TV, I think this update rolling out now is a nice update, providing useful features. I stated none of those no name Android mini PCs are certified by Google, was that wrong? The companies making those devices are going to provide support and bug fixes? I haven't seen a single one from a company I have ever even heard of.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  11. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

you are not so much wrong as the other guy who posted after you. but you are still coming from a place of knowing nothing of the device, do you have one? i would much rather rely on the android community (which is what androids main object was in the first place) then some slow moving bureaucratic dinosaur which which moves at the pace of a years rather then days... and as this wonderous update.. it has 4 upgrades.... and two of those are apps... I have Jellybean and will be getting Key Lime, and any other thing the rom cookers can think of. they have an app for vudu and amazon, tell you what,, once you get flipboard or a couple of decent video players, or add blockers or even more then 2 web browsers which support addons.. im saying that google is asleep with in the space of a week since i have routed my little no name android box.. there have been updates to 2 different roms.. and there is now hardware acceleration for xbmc.. Minix updates their offical firm ware on a by monthly basis but they are in tune with all that goes on XDA.. and thats a heck of a lot better and more instep with androids progress then the Google TV folks.. the Rockchip is certified by google and thats all that needs to happen... who makes the box is really not a problem... its the chip.. look, you can play that same card about support and certification and lack of certification from the brand company all you wish... but the real android development is not coming from google.. its coming from XDA and all those little underground things... folks who can compile and release updates in a matter of days and not years... i have a google tv i know what the two are like when compared with each other... i have a bit of experience with each.. roku is to Google TV what Google TV is to the next gen of Android TV boxes... it may serve your purpose but its freaking boring. and if you want to talk about tech support of the big company.... get ready brother,,, because i have been to the ninth layer of hell with logitech.. so i know a thing or two about that too..

and i still like google tv... but i know the two devices..

12. ChrisG8

I don't have one of those devices because I have followed threads at various forums and have no interest in owning one, I did consider it and put in the time to understand it isn't for me. I understand Google TV is a very closed system and we haven't seen much if anything from the hacking community of value but all of my three models have been updated and improved, the last update from Logitech came Oct. 2012 and I expect an update for the new Sony box any day now. I don't think the Android hacking community will devote much effort to Google TV at this point so I don't know if anything ever happens in that arena.

If Google TV catches on and sales pick up, then we can expect the mainstream development to pick up but the future isn't bright without greater market share so if the market insists on having Google TV reach its full potential before buying, I don't think there is a prayer for the product. My hope is that the market will look at Google TV after this latest update and accept it is a really good device with great promise and get off the sideline and into the game. If sales don't pick up, I sure don't see many of the companies involved hanging around much longer.

13. Carlszone

Hi Scuzzo

I'm not wrong. I don't wanna relearn using the internet. I like it simple. You are talking about spending hours if not days rooting a mini PC and then being dependent on devs to ensure further development of apps to enhance the experience. I simply don't have time for that. Google TV & a cheap PC will serve my needs. Devices I use are mostly for entertainment.

Hell, even this argument is too much trouble. Why protest a device you no longer enjoy? If it ain't fun why not just leave it behind. What is this crusade for devices no one wants? Google TV has a certain function that for many is still relevant. KISS is the main factor here. Yeah, there are limitations. For you the limitations were too great, so ya moved on. Well...maybe not...

Carl

14. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

it took me 7min at most to root my tablet and another 7 for my minix.. im not going to debate this ... you said there is no future suport.. this is incorrect
    you said you cannot down load software.... this is incorrect.. and all you offer as being true is the silverlight issue... big deal... its only used by a very few services... and net flix is usable in andorid as an ap anyway... when you say you checked out the software for these.. what dose that mean? android is about apps.. windows is about software... you dont want to relearn the internet... well if you are going to try to enter into technical pro and con discussion you should have a solid frame of refference... rather then just saying stuff you read or heard some where by some one... you have no first had experience on any of this,, i can respect that you dont wish to delve into the tech of any of this.. but by doing so...you dont really have a solid argumen against andorid boxes.. there are plenty of folks who will take thoes steps with these hobby boxes..
    i have not said i dont enjoy gtv... i like it... but there is so much static dev on it its just sad... its almost as though its EOL.. and i dont like it when bad tech advise is given, and i will correct misconception when i have a better information to offer... if that bothers you.. then research and offer a more solid argument the... company support,, or lack of software,, this i just not true... these boxes are not for evey one..
    but those who enjoy a technical challenge and like being proactive and finding stuff out,,, they are a much more intresting experience then the passive (turn it on and hope it works) and if it dose not.... call the big company... and gosh knows what....

and... if you look at the orginal topic... its about mini pc.... so i am dead on topic and offer solid technical advise...
    or if it is not.... show me where i am in error....
    im done on this....

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  15. Carlszone

All I'm saying is in most of your posts you compare these mini-PCs to GTV products rather than arguing the benefits or lack thereof on their own merits. Comparing these devices is like comparing a Roku to a GTV device. Roku does what it was created for well. GTV offers a broader internet experience. No matter how ya word it these devices are PCs. GTV is not...

Carl

16. HarpoonIPA

HarpoonIPA New Member

I just ordered the minix neo x5, thanks for the advice

17. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

hey thats cool. just realise the box will not come with a remote so you need a tablet or android phone to load a remote app.. i would suggest going to the minix forum site and start reading now... you will be required to install the Jellybean rom thru the rock chip utility which will require a pc and loading the minix drivers.. but its not tough... just part of the game... then once you have the new jellybean installed.. (its so so much better then Ice Cream and world better then hONY COMB..) then go to xbmcforandroid.com and get the xbmc for neo instructions.. dont forget mx player or the external player file... once all that is done... go to xbmchub and check out all the content goodness.. its astounding.. and its getting better by the day.. true development.. there is one addon called the royal we.. that will aggergate all the other video plugins.. like icefilms and 1ch... im still trying to fig this one out.. but its pretty cool... congrats on the new hobby tv box... once you get past all the configurations it works really well... let me know if you have any questions and i will try the best to answer...

• Like Like x 2
  18. CatfishRivers

Looking forward to reading your review of the minix neo x5 here on the forum -:)