Quantcast

UFC fights on Facebook won't load.

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by johnniehrvy, Aug 14, 2011.

1. johnniehrvy

johnniehrvy New Member

Anyone else have this problem? When I go to the UFC page on facebook to watch live preliminary fight when I click play the stream never starts. It will stream on my laptop in google chrom but not on google tv. Any ideas?

2. Winkle

Winkle New Member

i think its on reg. TV why r u crazy about streaming? but I think they use a new flash and dont allow backward compatibility like other sites?!

3. johnniehrvy

johnniehrvy New Member

The main card is on TV, the undercard streams on Facebook.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It looks like they're using a Flash actionscript to "tailor the available content for Google TV". If it was a Flash mismatch error then you'd get prompted for it. Instead you just get a blank rectangle where the content should load but never does.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

You know when the Revue cost $299 and hardly anyone had heard of it - most content providers probably didn't give a rat's a** if their video format/codec/Flash version worked with Google TV or not. But IMO the best development for Google TV thus far was the price slash to $99. This will spur mass adoption (as witnessed the Revue has been number 1 in the Amazon digital devices ever since the price drop). With the greater mass adoption the content providers WILL take notice and put forth the extra effort to make Google TV work right on their web sites. It's never been mentioned publicly before - but I wouldn't be surprised if Google and Logitech came to some kind of 'secret' agreement concerning the big price drop.

6. dale_cooper

dale_cooper New Member

Ha funny thread - I was frustrated with the same thing :( And I didn't have any spare hdmi cables anymore (due to using them with the revue) to output my laptop to the tv heh.

7. DefenderBob

DefenderBob New Member

if I remember right from another forum im on, the UFC fights on FB are driven through Silverlight and not flash.

8. daddypants

daddypants New Member

there's always a way to watch everything. there are a few sites that stream these through flash that you can see on your gtv (tested and working). these usually also play the streams of the full card from the UK where its free on tv too, so its a legal grey area here. i watch them on other sites (i won't link since i wanna keep them watchable), but a user posted this link in the projectfreetv thread, its Sport On Demand Live Sports Streams Online For Free. its a very decent one that will work on the google tv. but with some googling or forum searching you'll find a bunch of these type sites to stream this sort of stuff with, some even in HD, but often the quality is closer to a VHS tape. i usually start watching at the beginning or the facebook stream on a flash channel it will play the facebook prelims, the spiketv prelims, and ppv fights all as one continuous stream. when the app store hits i expect to be able to just watch the mma-tv.net stream through an app for SOPcast or TVUplayer, both of which are supposed to be on the smart tvs soon.

9. dale_cooper

dale_cooper New Member

WTF???... edit your post. And I don't think you even need to make this post as I'm guessing 90% of people realize you can watch streams of nearly any sporting event around. This forum is not a platform for advising people how to do that.

By the way, the thing about the facebook stream is that its super high quality, I love it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No, it was definitely using Flash. You could right-click on the appropriate spot in the UFC's Facebook page and see that it is using the Flash plug-in not the Silverlight plug-in. Had it been Silverlight, you would have seen some sort of "missing plugin" graphic on Google TV instead of the black rectangle drawn by Flash. You can see an example by viewing this page with Google TV: Flash vs Silverlight Gallery

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  11. DefenderBob

DefenderBob New Member

Thanks for the link eferz - I was unable to locate the thread on archosfans.com that I had referenced.

12. daddypants

daddypants New Member

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  13. daddypants

daddypants New Member

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011