Quantcast

U.S. Govt. Objects To Megaupload Hiring Top Law Firm

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Apr 12, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

http://torrentfreak.com/us-govt-objects-to-megaupload-hiring-top-law-firm-121012/ (click for full article)

"Last week it was revealed that Megaupload had retained the services of Andrew Schapiro, the lawyer who led YouTube to a summary judgment in its copyright trial against Viacom. But now the US government has filed papers objecting to Schapiro's law firm working on Megaupload's defense, citing conflicts of interest involving Google, YouTube, Disney, Fox and other movie, TV show and software companies.

Following the raids on Megaupload in January, tens of millions of dollars in assets and funds belonging to the company were seized. "

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I would sure think that Schapiro has a conflict of interest but I am not an attorney.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Quinn Emanuel Calls B.S. on Government Conflict-of-Interest Objection in Megaupload Case « Above the Law: A Legal Web Site (click for full article)

From the article: " At some level I can understand the conflict of interest claim. On the other hand, if prosecutors are going to play this card, it creates quite a conundrum for any potential Megaupload attorneys. Megaupload allegedly offended and/or victimized anyone and everyone who has ever had anything to do with the entertainment or technology industries, but any firm attempting to represent Megaupload should probably have prior experience in the technology and entertainment worlds.

I literally just got my hands on Quinn's reply. The firm is saying the same thing. Without further ado, we've got some highlights from the brief on the next page... "

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012