Quantcast

Two Sources For Android Apps Mentioned In NY Times

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 14, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

There was a NY Times article today entitled: "Searching For Apps Is Finally Getting Easier".
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/t...ching-for-apps-is-finally-getting-easier.html (click for full article)

The following is taken from the article:

"When it comes to discovering new apps, Android users would do well to also try Appbrain.com, which compiles customer reviews and tracks apps that are attracting the most attention among users.

Last week, Appbrain's users were clearly paying attention to the 10 Billion Downloads promotion, but other trending apps included "Any.DO: To Do List / Task List", which is free.

Appolicious.com is similar to Appbrain in that it features user reviews and a search engine of its own, but Appolicious has more useful content, and it covers Apple as well as Android apps.

Appolicious is a search and recommendation service in which app suggestions are generated by staff and readers. The service, which is also behind Best Buy's App Discovery Center (at apps.bestbuy.com), covers nearly 600,000 apps on Apple and roughly 200,000 on Android.

Users can search those by keyword or phrase, or browse an index that is divided into hundreds of subcategories. Task management apps, for instance, can be found in the productivity category, which itself is a subset of the business category."

Top Android Apps and Games in the Android Market | AppBrain.com (click for appbrain.com)

iPhone apps and iPad apps | Appolicious ™ App Directory (click for appolicious.com)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  2. guest

guest Active Member

Any new sources, since December, 2011, besides the Google Play Store?

3. CatfishRivers

• Like Like x 2
  4. guest

guest Active Member

catfishrivers, the GoogleTV is an Android device, isn't it? My post yesterday, titled Android "L2TP VPN configuration", was about a series of settings on Android devices for installing a Virtual Private Network. When I go to my Logitech Revue settings, I don't find the same ones as described in the tutorial. Do you know why this is? Maybe the Android settings for tablets/phones don't have the same settings as Android set-top boxes (Google TV)? This was for a VPN service called SecurityKISS. The other VPN service I'm trying to use on the Revue is AnchorFree Hotspot Shield. When I sideload it, I get a "Parse Error" message.

5. CatfishRivers

Hi. I live in the USA so I haven't had much experience with trying to use a VPN on GTV. You need to set the VPN up with your router. IMO the free VPNs probably won't work very well with GTV - however I came across across an article that mentions several paid VPNs that are supposed to work with Google TV. (I haven't tried any of these):

Google TV VPN - Get Netflix, NBC, HBO on the Google TV - How to setup a VPN on the Google TV? | ST4RT-VPN Blog

Here's another article that lists some VPNs that are supposed to work good with Google TV:

http://www.countryvpn.com/how-to-get-google-tv-vpn/

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 2