Quantcast

Two revue's one hard drive?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by Jmprnbr1, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

I have an external hard drive that holds my movie library, what I would like to do is use revue #1 to act as a DLNA server and stream movies to revue #2. Is it possible, has anyone actually got it working, and if so how did you do it. I know about network NAS's and I have played with them in the past. Looking to keep it as simple as possible for wife and kids.

2. surprisinguy

surprisinguy New Member

I would think that you'd have to run some kind of dlna software on the revue that the drive is plugged into. Not sure if there is an app for that.

3. gadgetrants

gadgetrants New Member

Looks like Twonky Mobile might do it, though I'd guess you have to side-load to try:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.pv.twonkyremote

EDIT: hmm, on closer inspection looks like it works by sending from the server, rather than browse/request from the client... I'll keep looking!

-Matt

4. gadgetrants

gadgetrants New Member

Ooops, not quite at 10 posts...wait a sec...

-Matt

5. gadgetrants

gadgetrants New Member

OK, did a little bit of research and here is what I learned:

Good news: it's not hard to find free Android apps that work as DLNA servers. I tried two, the Twonky app I mentioned above, and iMediaShare Lite (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bianor.ams). Both were painless and foolproof to install and run -- and it only took a moment to select the desired media files to share. I ran the first off my Droid 3, and the second off my Transformer. In each case, the Revue easily found the shared files (I used the built-in Logitech app) and played the media files (MP4 movies) perfectly. An interesting bonus: iMediaShare also shares a pretty large and impressive list of websites (mostly clips), including:

$iMediaShare.jpg

One catch, however, is that iMediaServer only seems to work in portrait mode while running on the server device, which the Transformer didn't like much. However, after setting it up I put in the background and it continued to stream to the Revue with no problem.

Bad news: so the OP isn't about "getting the Revue to pick up the stream," but rather, "getting the Revue to share the stream." So, in each case I copied the app over to the Revue, and installed it. In each case, sadly, the app crashed. The Twonky app seemed to crash a bit faster (the iMediaShare app started and THEN crashed!) but clearly they found something lacking. A possible clue: the iMediaShare app complained about wifi before crashing -- since I'm running off of the ethernet port, maybe using wifi instead might prevent crashing? Perhaps someone using wifi can test that theory?

I imagine there are a few more DLNA server apps worth trying (my efforts were mostly proof-of-concept). I think in principle the process works and it's just a matter of finding a server that doesn't dislike the Revue so much!

In the meantime: @Jmprnbr1 I'm a huge fan of TVersity, and use my networked PC as the main media server in the house. If you have a networked PC available, all you need to do is plug in your hard drive, install TVersity (it's free!) and all your Revues will see it. :)

-Matt

6. rajeshgheware

rajeshgheware New Member

Hi,

I recently installed Logitech media server (check logitech site or search google because I am not able to post the link here) on my Linux Ubuntu Desktop and used default Logitech media player on Google TV Honeycomb to connect to this server. I have my movies, photos & music stored on this desktop. Now I can play all media content stored on desktop to Google TV box which has got a projector connected to it. Funtastic!

Now what I am trying to achieve is: stream tv (running on Linux desktop) to Google TV Box. I could run TV on my Linux Desktop using Easycap AV to USB adapter using VLC but not yet able to get those tv signals on projector. Any help always appreciated :)

Rajesh Gheware