Quantcast

Two problems with new set up..need help

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by sachnida, Dec 6, 2011.

1. sachnida

sachnida New Member

After one day of set up, i am encountering two issues.
    My set up is Dish ViP612-->Sony Google TV-->Toshiba LCD TV using HDMI
    Audio Google TV--> Sony AVR STR-KG700 using optical audio

Issue 1: after succesful set up of sony AVR, GTV remote was able to power on/off and change volume for the AVR. Day 2, no changes made in the set up, I can not perform these functions. I tried rebooting all devices, removing and reconnecting sony avr in the AVR set up of GTV, it does not seem to work. Checked IR blaster connections, it looks fine. I am not sure how to check if IR blaster is working or not.

Issue 2: Turning on/off BD/EXT power button does not simultaneously on/off TV/AVR and GTV. Instead each has to be done so separately. In fact, AVR can not be controlled at all per issue !.

Is there a way to check if IR blaster is working?

2. sachnida

sachnida New Member

Anyone?

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Easiest way to check if the IR Blasters are firing is to look through the viewfinder of a digital camera in low lighting. You'll see the flashes of light emit from them when they are broadcasting.

In order for something like that to work, all of your devices will need to be HDMI-CEC compatible and enabled. So, that when it receives the signal to power down all the other HDMI-CEC devices power down with it.

4. sachnida

sachnida New Member

thanks, will try that.

• Like Like x 2
  5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help.

6. sachnida

sachnida New Member

no signal on ir blaster. I am confused. is there a way to factory reset the GTV and try all of this all over again?

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, GTV Settings > Privacy & security > Factory reset

8. sachnida

sachnida New Member

reset did not help. I also dont think it is IR blaster. Is it possible that the sony receiver which first used the IR code that worked and for some reason switched it? I had the same problem with the same receiver when I had tried dish network universal remote to control it. It worked initially and then stopped. I had to buy logitech harmony and it consistantly worked thereafter.

I like the GTV but this multiple remote thing is killing the fun, especially not able to control the voice. Now I have to find two remotes to watch tv, let alone finding one was a task in a home with two kids.

9. sachnida

sachnida New Member

is there any ipad app that works better or has learning ability? I tried google tv app and also sony app but both did not work to control AVR along with GTV.

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

At this point I would recommend contacting Sony Technical Support. Most likely you're having a problem that can be address by us.

Yes, the RedEye iOS app by ThinkFlood has this capability. However, since the iPad does not have IR emitters you'll have to get one of the hardware solutions provided by ThinkFlood.

11. WhereAmI

WhereAmI New Member

Have you tried (or do your units have the ability) to link your GTV with your AVR via HDMI? I don't have the separate GTV box, but on the Sony TV version the software supports remote functionality via HDMI 1.4. The HDMI-ARC ports if they exist on your AVR should drop the optical cable, but if supported, you wouldn't have to battle the IR blaster and could experiment with how much functionality you get just by activation HDMI control capabilities.

If you're unsure if the IR blaster is operating, check this posting for an easy way on how to see the light firing (search wikihow for "Check-if-a-Remote-Control-is-Transmitting-an-Infrared-Signal"

(I'd post the direct link but it's not letting me at the moment... I'm too "Green" to the forum)

Have you tried changing the IR code within GTV for your AVR to see if that creates or increases remote functionality?

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I think if you re-read my responses, your suggestions were already addressed.