Quantcast

tvliner.com is down

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by mkiker2089, Aug 24, 2011.

1. mkiker2089

mkiker2089 New Member

Does anyone have any news on it. It was a stupidly useful site for me.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Was it a legal site? I never used it but if it was just a bunch of links to copyright violations, I will assume it is dead forever. It wouldn't load for me when I just tried on my Revue.

3. mkiker2089

mkiker2089 New Member

It should have been perfectly legal. It was a set of rolling bookmarks that brought up the websites of content. It was designed with the GoogleTV remote so you could scroll by provider as in "History Channel, TLC, TBS, etc..

Being that the site is the subject of a sticky in this forum I'm kind of surprised no one has heard of it. Does anyone know what happened to it or who to contact?

4. ChrisG8

OK, so it was a like a channel guide directing users to the sites of various network and independent channels. It does sound useful, hope it had authorization to use those sites in that manner and it will be back up soon.

5. ChrisG8

I got to the site but couldn't get it to work. Maybe Irene has knocked it out for while?

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The same person that has the Ent. Bay web site used to have the TV Liner site. It's been down for a long time so I doubt it's coming back - but maybe you could try emailing support at Ent. Bay and ask them about it. All it is is bookmarks to the video sections of most of the major USA TV channels. I personally don't think it was that great because a lot of the channels it bookmarked to don't work with Google TV. You can essentially create your own 'TVLINER' by bookmarking your favorite TV channels/video sites. If you look on the Project Free thread - the user JTV has done exactly that (and made it publicly available to everyone) - it currently has over 200 bookmarks. Could you use that instead of TVLiner? Also you can use a free bookmark site such as Symbaloo | Access your bookmarks anywhere to create your own TVLiner with nice tiles.

Note: Here is the link to JTV's bookmarks for Google TV. (These are his personal bookmarks that he likes best and shares with us) - however there are many more links to video websites in the 'Project Free' thread and the 'Major American TV Channels that Work With Google TV' thread that aren't included in JTV's bookmarks.. So if you have the time it might be better to read the threads and create your own bookmarks with your own personal favorites. http://gtv.jltraffic.com/

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  7. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

tvliner is working for me right now.

8. CatfishRivers

Cool! It's back up! I would suggest that when you use it you change your Google TV browser setting to "generic". This is because all the channels owned by Viacom and a few others (such as MTV, VH1, NICK, Comedy Central, TV Land) will only play full episodes with the Google TV browser set to the generic mode. Also some others like NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, Scy Fy, will only play short clips even with the browser set to 'generic'.

9. mkiker2089

mkiker2089 New Member

I like the site because it's designed in an easy to navigate way and is sort of a reminder of what all is there. To me it's better to show off than a link list. I've convinced a few people to get the Revue since the price drop and part of that was showing them that site and how much web content is really out there.

Is there a disadvantage to setting the user agent to generic? I'm on 3.1 now and it seems to identify itself in a strange way. It's listed as mozilla/apple/safari but not in those exact words. I don't want any sites enhanced for Google TV to think I'm on some sort of macintosh computer.

10. CatfishRivers

I don't think that there is any disadvantage to using generic - although I only use it with the 2.1 OS version (because I didn't load the unofficial 3.1 update). With the 2.1 version it's the only way to get full episodes on certain sites. I guess you could try it on certain sites (such as TV Land) and see if it enables you to stream the full episodes. If you prefer the Google TV versions of certain sites - you might then have to switch your browser back to 'default'. Best thing is to test it out. Let us know how it works for you with version 3.1

11. mkiker2089

mkiker2089 New Member

The only sites I use normally are revision 3 and crackle which don't seem affected. They have a special url though. It seems like the only change the "generic" makes on 3.1 is removing the last part of the string which is something like / googletv

Where does the "apple" build come in? I thought this was between Google and Linux.

Rumor is that 3.1 could hit any day now for everyone. That is just rumors that I've read. I have no inside info being a total newb to the world of google tv. I bought the box a few weeks ago on a whim. It's my first Droid device as well.

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

About 99% of the web browsers on "mobile" operating systems are based on Apple's webkit. That's why the Chrome's user agent for Google TV says, "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U: Linux i686; en-US) AppleWebKit/533.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/5.0.375.127 Large Screen Safari/533.4 GoogleTV/b39389".