Quantcast

TV on at time of Reboot

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by levelbest, Oct 5, 2012.

1. levelbest

levelbest New Member

Coming from a Logitech Revue and like things so far especially the remote but one big nit.When the system reboots and starts up - on my Revue it would show the TV. The google bar would show up and dissapear at the bottom but the TV input was selected.On the Sony - the system boots, shows the bar and the google background wallpaper. I have to manually click live tv to start the tv. What's up with that? Sure it's not a huge deal for me - but for the kids and family - I can hear it now.... DAD, this wierd screen is up and I don't know how to get the tv on or what remote to use.Is there a setting I am missing or is this "by design"

2. callanish

callanish Member

Like you, that also came from the Revue, I am experiencing the same issue when the Sony is set for quick startup only. With the icons on the screen at the bottom, you can press the menu button, up will pop three options. One of those options allows you to change the startup program. Livetv is one of those options. When you choose live tv as the default, and reboot, the google tv box does its job and starts everything in live tv. The same applies when you turn off quick startup, shut the Sony down and turn it back on. Longer boot time, but it goes straight to live tv. Quick startup seems to go straight to the browser when I turn it on and also at times up pops an exit tv player box yes or no choice. I think that has something to do with gtvbox which I have the setting checked that automatically starts a USB device when it's plugged in.

Like you, if it's something we can change, that would be great, but in having QuickStart activated, I can't get it to go straight to live tv. Kind of annoying and I hope it's just something I'm doing wrong.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  3. Icecrypt

Icecrypt New Member

I have had the same problem as you guys. I have found that if I wake the Sony from Quick Start using the menubutton (that is the buttonwith 1 long line and 3 short lines below the home key) then it seems to always launch to live tv!!

If I use the on button then it mostly goes to the home screen and NOT live tv.

Hope this helps.

4. callanish

callanish Member

Thank you for that. That's really helpful and something I wouldn't have bothered trying on my own.

Makes it less frustrating when turning it on from standby. Appreciate the help.

5. mbidewel

mbidewel New Member

If while on the home bar you go into settings, there is an option to set startup programs. If you specify "Live TV" you will get the correct behavior.

6. callanish

callanish Member

Unfortunately that doesn't work correctly for the Sony when it comes out of Standby startup. Setting the live tv as the startup program does work fine if quick startup is off, but when on, it goes straight to the browser. Don't ask, it's one of those weird things that hopefully will eventually get fixed, but the menu button startup, rather than the power button startup seems to be a good workaround.

7. Icecrypt

Icecrypt New Member

The UK had a recent software update (20120928). My workaround doesn't seem to work any more!! There were some other issues around stability which seem to be resolved however so I am generally happier with the new software.

I just hope Sony and Google get their act together and release the TV and Movie App for the UK soon. When i was researching the Sony, I has a look at the search functionality and being able to set up your region (zipcode) on a Youtube clip. It was this that really sold the Sony to me and then to my major disappointment that app is not currently available in the UK. I was using my STB via Windows Media Center on my PC and liked the idea of being able to search all my local and online content with the Sony and avoid having to use my PC. I think unless Sony/Google resolve this it will be a dead duck in the UK.

8. callanish

callanish Member

Powering it on from standby on my Sony seems to have a mind of its own, and like you, pressing the menu button isn't consistent with what it does either anymore. There's times when exit tv player yes / no comes up on the screen after coming out of standby. There's times it goes straight to the browser and I have to press the tv button on the remote to get it to go to live tv and then there's times that it'll go straight to the slingplayer app web link within chrome, even if I've made sure I've gone back to my google.com homepage in bookmarks. It'll start the slingplayer web link in chrome anyway for some reason after coming out of standby. This only happens if I've connected my slingbox to it, and the only solution has been to do a soft reboot of the google tv box. Frustrating considering how well all of it works when I uncheck the fast bootup setting.

I can understand how annoying it must be when a product comes out that has regional abilities on it that only work within a certain location, even though it's being officially sold in the country that you bought it from. Just selling these things that don't support all the features outside of North America is one way to turn people off and due to a lack of badly needed sales for google tv around the world, sad to say if google doesn't step up, they'll be forced to pull the plug on it because people aren't going to stand for a half baked product. When you think of all the resources google has to work with; it seems google tv is and will continue to be the forgotten child.

9. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

If you always exit out of apps, it should consistently go to the home page. That can take a whole lot of back button mashing sometimes, though.