Quantcast

TV Guide OTA

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by JDV, May 23, 2011.

1. JDV

JDV New Member

I just set up a Sony GTV with OTA (antenna). Works fine but can't get the Rivo TV Guide to download data. I set up and turned off overnight per instructions but no programs in guide.

Saw something in the help screen about Download Acquisition Mode (DAM) setting but couldn't find how to check or set.

Any help appreciated.

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I don't think the Rovi Tv Guide works with Over the air tv at the moment JDV as I and others are having the same problem as you when we tried using it. You can still use the "Whats On" link under "Queue" to see what is on tv at the time your watching it though as a sort of jury rigged tv guide.

That is the closest to getting the guide to work that I have seen with the sony google tv at the moment. Funny thing is you'll get the ads but no guide data.

3. JDV

JDV New Member

Shortly after I posted on this the TV Guide started working. (Instructions said to turn off for 24 hours after setting up; I had assumed overnight would be good enough. Perhaps not). The guide works well.

As I understand it, the guide is transmitted via a signal from local major TV stations. Because I am in a shadow, I don't receive one of the major stations and I thought this might be the problem. But started working and has continued since.

JDV

4. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Yep, I think the reason I am not getting the guide is due to hooking up my antenna in to the dish box and having the antenna out going to my google tv from reading the rovi website. I have my setup running to my vcr as well so I can record shows for long term. One of the rovi webpages said I should leave my vcr on all night as well as make Over the air tv the default setting which I am not gonna do as my dish signal overpowers the antenna signal when the dish is on so unless I plug the antenna straight in to the google tv , I will probably never get the over the air guide.

5. matt

matt New Member

did you have to turn off the tv or put on standby. i am in the same situation that you were in. if you could let me know i would be eternally grateful!

thanks,
    matt

6. djangofan

djangofan New Member

For me, with my Google TV device, a TV Guide app is probably the Number 1 thing I am looking for. I hate hate hate having to resort to the tv guide (with ads) on my cable tuner or on my lcd tv.

7. JDV

JDV New Member

I just turned the TV off with the remote (which I guess is on standby). I have since exchanged the 32" for a 40" model. I set up expecting the process to take a day. Only took about 30 minutes compared with 3 or 4 days the first time. Also, I'm now using an outdoor antenna rather than indoor. Perhaps a strong signal made a difference. Best of luck