Quantcast

TV Guide for off air

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by skypros, Aug 10, 2012.

1. skypros

skypros New Member

I find it really strange that there is no TV Guide for antenna tv (off air).

I have 2 hd to sd tv converter boxes that have TV guides in them... so I know that there is Guide info is out there being broadcasted over the air.

Seams like it would be a given that GoogleTv would have this feature.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Google TV picks up the guide from an internet source for OTA here in Little Rock, all I had to do was tell the device my TV service during set up. I am not sure where you are getting information that there is no TV Guide for antenna. If no guide is specific to LG Google TV devices, I find that very hard to believe. There are a couple of apps that also provide guide data, although I don't use them and can't comment on how well they work. Buddy TV is one I recall but I am sure there are others.

If in fact there is an antenna TV guide for your Google TV and you find it, please be careful when posting such statements:

People read false statements, believe it, and spread the misinformation, Google TV has more false and misleading information available online than any other product I own.

3. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I have used the tv and movies app well as a sort of tv guide for over the air programming and it works great. As for the rovi guide I never was able to get that to work since Sony said it was not available in my area. That said the secret to getting the tv and movies app to work with the tv is to set the tv tuner as the default tuner and not a dish or cable box as the main signal like most people tend to use.

4. skypros

skypros New Member

When watching off air on my LG G2 Tv's remote.... I press the "guide" button and it says: only when you watch TV via your cable/satellite box, TV Guide will appear.
    This displays even when "antenna" is the default tv device.
    If I go to "built in tuner" edit channel lineup..... I click on "broadcast digital" It displays a pop up screen "analyzing channel information" and then it just goes back to the device settings for the built-in tuner.

So apparently the LG "G2" TV does not have the guide... of it is not active in the software yet.... Or there is something I have to do burried in a sub menu or I have to download something

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Yep the rovi guide stinks unless your in a big city that is supported by it. Also since it gets it data from over the air signals, they recommend you not have any devices plugged in to the coaxial input that would stop the inputted signals such as cable boxes ,dish boxes , etc.

That said I have never gotten the rovi guide to work with my setup since the dish box does it's update at 3 am each night and then hibernates without turn off which messes up the over the air signal. I have to turn the dish dvr on and off to get my tv signal back.

Thats why the tv and movies app trick works for me as a simple tv guide.