Quantcast

TV Broadcasters File Aereo Appeal, Warn Of 'Havoc', and 'Massive Disruption'

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Apr 19, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Broadcasters file Aereo appeal, warn of 'havoc' and 'massive disruption' to TV industry — paidContent (click for full article)

by Jeff John Roberts - April 17, 2013

SUMMARY: Fox, PBS and other broadcasters filed for a New York appeals court to revisit a crucial ruling that permitted start-up Aereo to beam their signals. The appeal raises the stakes further in a battle for the future of TV.

-- "Fox and other broadcasters are asking a New York appeals court to reconsider its decision to give a green light to Aereo, a controversial start-up that uses tiny antennas to retransmit over-the-air TV to mobile devices for $8 a month.

In a new court filing (embedded below), the broadcasters claim the decision "threatens to cause massive disruption to the television industry" and "will wreak commercial havoc," and request a full panel of the US Second Circuit Court of Appeals to revisit the ruling.

The start-up Aereo has been at the center of a storm in recent months because its technology threatens to blow-up the existing model of pay TV, which is based on selling viewers a bundle of channels, that include over-the-air stations like NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox. Aereo is backed by a $58 million investment from media mogul Barry Diller and others, and lets customers watch and record TV without a subscription for $1 a day or $8 a month."

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

3. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

It looks like if the big media companies are not going provide what the customers want then someone else will.

• Like Like x 2
  4. bidger

bidger Member

That's my take on this as well. I really have no sympathy for the networks. Demand for this has been building for awhile now and they chose to ignore it.

5. CatfishRivers

With streaming deals like Yahoo-SNL, will broadcasters beat Aereo at its own game? - CNNMoney - Apr. 25, 2013 (click for full article)

by Julianne Pepitone - April 25, 2013

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

"Networks are crazy with rage over Aereo, a startup that streams live broadcast content. But even as broadcasters are busy filing lawsuits against Aereo, they're also inking Web-streaming deals of their own.

Late Wednesday, Yahoo (YHOO, Fortune 500) announced that it had scored a contract to stream NBC's (CMCSA) "Saturday Night Live" skits exclusively for one year -- effectively stealing the show from streaming service Hulu.

It's the only the latest broadcast show to sign a streaming deal. Even sports and other live events are slowly making their way online: CBS (CBS, Fortune 500) live-streamed the Super Bowl in February, the second year in a row that the game was available online.

Broadcasters are finally tapping into a potentially massive market, with more eyeballs and more ads. But they were generally afraid to do it until the Aereo threat loomed, argued Bernstein Research analyst Todd Juenger in a report last week."

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  6. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Even if aereo loses on appeal or is forced to pay hefty licensing fees, the horse has left the gate. Ya can't turn back technology. They better learn from the RIAA fiasco.

7. CatfishRivers

8. CatfishRivers

How ABC will use live streaming to challenge Aereo (click for full article)

by Janko Roettgers - May 13, 2013

"This week, ABC is taking the fight against Aereo to the New York-based startup's home turf: the network will start streaming its entire programming schedule in real-time to viewers in New York and Philadelphia. This marks the first time one of the major broadcasters has streamed a 24-hour live feed online.

However, there are a few key differences between ABC's and Aereo's approach: After a six-week introductory phase that will be open to anyone in the two markets, ABC's streams will only be available to authenticated cable subscribers. And ABC is using cloud technology to deliver its live streams, making the endeavour a whole lot cheaper than Aereo's."

9. Carlszone

Hi

Cat, the networks just can't win this battle. Yeah, they can stave off the momentum, but the internet is the future. GTV looks like the worst idea ever! But in the long term GTV is here to stay. Watch how fast the networks jump on the bandwagon once they lose again. But even if they win it will only be for a short while.

Either way, it gonna be fun to watch...

Carl

10. CatfishRivers

11. CatfishRivers

Discovery is planning a streaming service ? but it won?t be ready for several years ? paidContent (click for full article)

"Discovery Communications, which owns channels like TLC and the Discovery Channel, is planning a streaming service that could give existing cable subscribers access to recent episodes of shows like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, Toddlers and Tiaras and My Cat from Hell - or whichever shows are popular in a couple of years, since the service isn't launching for awhile. But even today, the service doesn't sound like a great deal.

Discovery's executive chairman John Hendricks told Reuters that the service is still in the early development stages and may not be ready for two to five years. It would focus on "TV shows on Discovery's networks that are between three and 18 months old" because Netflix and Amazon Prime only have Discovery shows that are older than 18 months."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing earth-shattering about this and not really exciting news for cord-cutters - another TV channel offering online content BUT ONLY TO PAY CABLE TV SUBSCRIBERS.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  12. CatfishRivers

Aereo preps big Chicago debut | Internet & Media - CNET News (click for full article)

June 27, 2013

Summary:
    The country's third-biggest city will join New York, Boston, and Atlanta with the online over-the-air broadcast service starting Sept. 13. But other cities, that have yet to be announced, will be getting it sooner.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  13. CatfishRivers

Apparently Aereo doesn't support Google TV:

https://aereo.com/devices

They list Roku and Apple TV as supported devices. Also for viewing from a computer they only support the most recent version of Chrome. So it's doubtful that Aereo will work with the GTV Chrome browser. Their site uses Flash - so even though the GTV Jellybean update will have a recent version of Chrome - it won't support Flash.

14. Carlszone

I don't mind the limited access to Aereo. Other than Intel, no one is really challenging the networks. They give good lip service to the idea, but then they simply cave in and make using cable more accessible. GTV is the perfect example...

15. CatfishRivers

This sounds like a good deal! Also it's on the new Fanhattan Fan TV box that I posted about recently:

Cox beta testing FlareWatch internet TV service with 97 channels, 30 hours of cloud DVR storage | The Verge (via Mowser) (click for full article)

by Nathan Ingraham - June 28, 2013

"Cable provider Cox Communications is reportedly making efforts to launch a less expensive, internet-based TV and DVR service to capture users who've cut the cord and no longer pay for traditional cable TV service. According to a report in Variety, Cox is currently beta-testing a service for its broadband internet subscribers that offers 97 live channels and 30 hours of cloud-based DVR storage.

The service, called FlareWatch, costs $34.99 per month - significantly less than most average cable TV plans. Of course, you don't get the hundreds of channels included in those more expensive plans, but FlareWatch does include typically cable-only networks like ESPN, A&E, CNN, TNT, USA, MTV, and FX along with local broadcast stations. It's a more expensive option than streaming live TV provider Aereo, but it also offers a greater variety of channels.

The service itself is delivered via the recently-introduced Fanhattan Fan TV set-top box, though unfortunately it sounds like you won't be able to use that as your only streaming box - Variety says that FlareWatch won't provide access to services like Netflix or Hulu Plus. And not many will get a chance to give this service a try, at least not yet.

Cox is only testing it in Orange County, CA. "Results and customer feedback will determine if we proceed with future plans," said a Cox spokesperson. We're hoping that the results encourage Cox to roll FlareWatch out to a wider base in the future - the more inexpensive, internet-based TV options available, the better."

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  16. CatfishRivers

In case you missed it here is the thread about the Fanhattan Fan TV box:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...p-box-live-tv-dvr-vod-streaming-services.html

*The article about the Cox TV service mentions that their Fan TV box won't come with Netflix or Hulu Plus.

I can understand that the TV providers would want to limit and control what apps are on their boxes. That's why it doesn't appear as though any TV providers have signed up for the new LG Google TV IPTV cable set-top box. (At least I haven't heard of any yet).

The LG Google TV IPTV cable box comes with android market, Chrome browser, etc. IMO the USA TV providers don't want a cable box with a Chrome browser and the full Google Play Store. (There is one overseas TV provider in Korea that is using a Google TV IPTV box).

Also Comcast recently announced their own new X2 box.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  17. Carlszone

Catfish, I hope you're right!

I hate being a cordcutter. I swear, and don't send out the panic team to my residence, but I could have easily cut my throat rather than cut cable. But I won't and can't pay them bastards a dollar more than what I was paying.

But it is not going to be enough. My neighborhood is a gated community. And guess what? We are 1 mile from the Norfolk navy base. This means that local television signals are adversely affected by day and Cox may be interrupting the signal by night. No antenna seems to work in this area. But the internet does.

Well, I'm happily getting my news and shows from a variety of on-line services for the month of June. Toward the end of the month I get an e-mail from Cox. My monthly Broadband usage has gone over the limit. They suggested another package that may equal what I paid in cable fees.

I'm Screwed...

Carl