Quantcast

Turn on/off cable/dish box

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by veeeee, Dec 2, 2011.

1. veeeee

veeeee New Member

I just picked up the sony google tv last night and was frustrated that I couldn't figure out how to turn off my directv box from the remote. Coming from the revue I am used to being able to turn on/off everything from the remote.

I figured out how to do it even though you have to go through some menu's, but at least it can be done.

On the remote
    1. Press Menu (down on the right thumb pad)
    2. Select Advanced Options
    3. Select Power On/Off

That should turn your cable box on or off.

2. mymusic55555

mymusic55555 New Member

I am experiencing the same thing. It is hard to accept that this is the only way to power off a cable box with GTV remote. Anyone have a suggestion?

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Have you tried the "BD/EXT" Power toggle button while in the respective input of the Live TV app? I remember that my old Scientific Atlanta 4240HD box powered off as expected using that button. If Sony programmed the command for your device and appropriately associated it to that button then it should do it too.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mymusic55555

mymusic55555 New Member

The BD/EXT button powers down my AV receiver but, not my cable box. I dont recall having to set up my specific box with GTV. It did ask for my cable provider. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I believe if the AMP button is toggled on the NSG-MR1 remote, it will cause certain buttons to specifically control the AV Receiver. Those buttons are marked by the yellowish orange silkscreen dots beside them. Otherwise, if you don't have any other device profiles configured on the Sony Google TV device then it will default to the sole configuration.

To configure your set-top box with it, go to GTV Settings > Video input > Configured devices > Add device manually then you'll go through the configuration wizard.

• Like Like x 2
  6. mymusic55555

mymusic55555 New Member

I hear what you are saying but I am not having any luck. When the AMP light is enabled the BD/EXT button shuts off the AV receiver like it should and the TV button shuts the TV. When the AMP light is not enabled the BD/EXT Shuts the GTV unit and the TV the TV. I configured my set top cable box automatically, manually and still it will not power it down with the BD/EXT. It will power it down as Veeeee described it in the beginning of this thread but that procedure is crazy.

The channels change just fine with the GTV remote

I tried each of the codes, didnt help.

• Like Like x 2
  7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

What is the IR Blaster Code that's compatible with your set-top box? Check GTV Settings > Video input > Configured devices > Edit Configured Device > IR Blaster settings > Code. I have an IR Scope and can test to it to see if they included it with the profile.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mymusic55555

mymusic55555 New Member

It is on 11877 now. 11376 is a good code as well

• Like Like x 2
  9. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

DirecTV H2x/HR2x receivers don't have a power toggle, there are separate on/off codes which are in the Harmony database.

I don't have a Sony, so you need to determine if you can teach it discrete codes. Use your D* remote for learning, after you reset it to wipe any other codes that are programmed on the on/off buttons.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  10. mymusic55555

mymusic55555 New Member

I have a Scientific Atlanta DVR Cable box model 8300 HD

• Like Like x 2
  11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yep, here are my results.

From my notes these are valid IR signals for the PowerToggle command for several devices. So, it is possible that Sony goofed up in programming the remote profiles specifically for the NSZ-GT1. I would recommend that you contact them to file a bug report in hopes that this will be address in a future patch.

The Google TV products by Sony do not have a learning capability. In fact, the compatibility of external devices is based on a preset list and fixed configuration. Nothing about their implementation makes it as user friendly as it is with the Harmony component in the Logitech Revue.

• Like Like x 2
  12. mymusic55555

mymusic55555 New Member

Wow! Thanks for all the help!

• Like Like x 2
  13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help.

14. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

Well, that truly sucks.

The Harmony software has a power toggle command for DirecTV receivers, but it only actually works properly with older devices. Newer models only turn on with that power toggle command.

15. mymusic55555

mymusic55555 New Member

Crazy huh? It is only a remote that is used by millions in the northeast (at least)!

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Well, IR signals are just triggers. So, it is possible for one device it triggers power on and for another it triggers power toggle. That's just how different receiving devices are programmed to react. Either way with the Logitech Harmony component, you are able replace the command with a learned IR signal or a list of available commands that is a part of the device's IR profile. Sony doesn't have this flexibility.

17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

By the way, while you're at it. I believe you still need to access the Yellow Triangle, Blue Box, Red Circle, and maybe Green Diamond to acknowledge certain functions on the SA8300HD. The 11877 IR Blaster Code does not emit any IR signals when pressing the respective color buttons on the NSG-MR1. Though if your set-top box does respond to the 11376 IR Blaster code, they are fully represented with that profile. You may want to also file a bug report for the same regards.

• Like Like x 2
  18. DonGeorge

DonGeorge New Member

The newer DirecTv remotes they have designated On and Off buttons so it would make sense that theres seperate IR codes for each function.

Thanks for the info on how to turn off the TWC box. I feel dumb that I didn't try that.