Quantcast

True Standby Mode

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by Maconsultant, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

Sorry if this is obvious, but I'm coming from a Sony Google TV set and just bought an LG 47G2 set. Now the Sony set when in standby can be powered on via an IP remote as it still registers with the network and shows up as available. The LG 47G2 when in standby mode does NOT register with the network and because of this can NOT be powered back on using an IP remote and needs to be powered on with the physical remote.

Is this the normal behavior of the LG google TV sets..? If not how does one enable true standby mode..? Thanks for your time.

Sent from another Galaxy..
    S3...

2. Gaberlunzi

Gaberlunzi New Member

I have the same TV, and that is my experience as well. Apparently LG thinks plugged-in is the same as standby mode. They even leave a red "standby" light on, even though Google TV will completely boot when you turn it on via the magic remote. You can disable that annoying light from the settings menu (System Settings > Options > Standby Light). I like that it can be powered off without disconnecting the power, but it would be nice to have a true standby option for when one is going to use the TV again soon.

There is a screen off timeout that can be set. I experimented with that, and it seemed to me that the screen was still emitting some backlight, much like a display that is actively showing a black image. More useful might be the screen off setting (System Settings > Picture & Sound > Picture Adjustment > Energy Saving: Screen Off). This appears to truly turn the screen off. That's not the same as standby because everything else is running, but I am hoping it would be an effective way to reduce power consumption and protect the screen from image retention. This option is too buried in the menus for me to use regularly, but I might use it if I am using the TV to play audio. It would be nice if it could be programmed to a color button.

There might be a true standby or an app that can simulate it that I am not aware of. I hope another LG owner has more information.

3. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

Thanks for responding, I think LG needs to fix a few things.. But other than that i like the set.. it's much faster than the 1st gen Sony's.. I actually still have a 40 inch Sony in my bedroom. I am going to compile a list and see if i can get someones ear @ LG & Goggle.

4. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

yea according to LG's logic...if its plugged in but turned off, thats stand by mode. thats how its been for all lg products since the beginning.

5. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

I think they need to revisit That theory as we are living in a connected world. Having to boot a device each time you bring it out of "Stand by" is crazy.

Sent from another Galaxy..
    S3...

6. dispatch00

dispatch00 New Member

This is one reason I'm returning my 47G2. Here's the other reasons:

1. The included QWERTY Magic Remote is a radio remote, meaning it cannot be used to control a soundbar with infrared. This means you can either a) use the TV speakers which are crappy or b) use a amplifier/receiver which can be controlled with the included IR blasters (I wanted a soundbar so I didn't have the huge receiver and speaker issue in the first place!) I even called LG to confirm and they said they cannot make the remote output IR.

2. I don't have cable (GASP!) nor do I have an OTA antenna hooked up. Each time the TV starts it pops up a wizard asking me to connect a video source. ANNOYING and there is no way to turn it off. Really not good for the wife (or any non-techie) trying simply to operate the TV.

3. Boot time. Takes 30 seconds to a minute before you can even reach the Google interface or ANY application. In the mean time you are shown the TV source (in my case, not having one, it shows the LG/Google TV logo).

4. Start up application. You can tell the TV to start a particular app upon start up (sounded useful for me since I don't have a TV input). However, it is buggy and usually changes itself back to the TV input for startup (and then presents issue #2 all over again).

5. General bugginess. Examples:
    a. Playing Pandora, then hit the home button. Music stops because it wants to play the TV sound (EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE A TV INPUT!)
    b. AirTight (which works fine on my friends Logitech) crashes and reboots the TV 75% of the time I try to use it
    c. others I will add as I remember/think of them

7. Gaberlunzi

Gaberlunzi New Member

I like my 47G2, but you have legitimate complaints. The fact that you do not have cable or broadcast TV means that you are not getting some of the advantages (like PIP) of having an integrated Google TV, and the disadvantages (30s boot) are more annoying then they otherwise would be. If you had OTA, then you would be able to watch it and even change channels during the 30s boot time (which used to be much shorter until a recent update). For the reasons you listed, I can't say I'd recommend the LG G2 for someone without cable or an antenna. It should be the other way around, that Google TV should be the perfect thing for someone without cable or broadcast TV. You may like the Logitech Revue if you can get one.

Google really needs to get a handle on the many little defects. Every update I have received so far has introduced at least one new annoying bug, but usually also introduced important new functionality or fixes. Except the last update which was two steps backwards and no enhancements that I could find.

8. dispatch00

dispatch00 New Member

Gaberlunzi,

You're absolutely right; the GTV should work great for someone without cable or OTA, and I certainly am cognizant of the features I'm missing out on when not using such.

That being said, I did hook up an OTA antenna, but it didn't allay most of my issues. My buddy has the Revue, which I like. I think I'm going to return the 47g2 and pick up a 47LM6700 or the 50" Samsung UN46ES6150F (available at Costco for $749), then pick up a google STB (either the Revue, the Sony, or wait until a new one comes out -- hate Vizio).

Ultimately, the TV I end up with MUST be able to work with a soundbar and the TV remote.

9. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

sounds like you didnt do the necessary research before buying this TV. GTV is not meant as a cord cutter and the experience will be limited as you have found, but even though you say you know what your missing out on, it doesnt seem like you really do.

10. dispatch00

dispatch00 New Member

Your assertion is laughable, and rude. My real mistake here was thinking the GTV platform is advanced as the Android experience on mobile devices.

11. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

its always a good rule of thumb to research any new product your going to buy, especially if its your first time diving into it and also especially if this is one of the first generations of said product...thats just common sense.

12. dispatch00

dispatch00 New Member

Fomol: again, thanks for not being helpful at all. Pre-purchasing research (of which I've done plenty) alone cannot tell you if you'll be unsatisfied with a product, especially one that is a meld between two manufacturers.

Have some more kool-aid.