Quantcast

Trouble using the remote as a ir blaster

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by Joendsu, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Joendsu

Joendsu New Member

When is use the google remote on my iPhone I was expecting the Vizio remote to relay ir commands to the tv/receiver. If I use the volume button on the remote, it correctly controls the receiver - if I use the column on the app it does not change the receiver volume.
    Note: the remote is in line do site with the receiver.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Labmanmi

Labmanmi New Member

I working on the exact same problems I'm going to try to connect my Revue keyboard next and I'm having the same issue from my android with Ice Cream I tried Able app and google tv app.

3. degsie

degsie Member

The Co-Star doesn't have an internal or cabled IR blaster so Able or Google TV remote apps can't control your regular TV volume. You guys are assuming that the remote apps interface with the co-star remote? The co-star remote is 'dumb' in the sense that it doesn't get an IP address etc so no communication is possible over the lan.

Have a look here.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  4. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Wait a minute, my Co-Star remote controls my cable box, on/off, change channels, regular TV on/off, volume, it also controls my Blu-ray player too ... This is the reason I'm going to purchase another Co-Star ..

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  5. degsie

degsie Member

You are getting confused :confused:, sorry. This thread is about controlling your a/v setup via an app on phone/tablet.

6. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

say what, ok cool , yeah..(lol)

7. twosted

twosted New Member

Looks like a software bug. Vizio specs say this will work with the Google TV Remote app. I have tried and it is spotty at best. Every now and then it will work but even then its only for like one button press (I press guide, the guide comes up but it won't respond after that).

8. degsie

degsie Member

I'd be interested if you could provide a reference to this from Vizio website. I couldn't find it :(

9. twosted

twosted New Member

VIZIO

On the bottom of the page in the comparison chart under Remote Experience it lists "Phone & Tablet app".

VIZIO Co-Star

Again at the bottom of the page it says "For times when the remote is not nearby, downloading the free Google TV™ remote control app gives you full control of your Co-Star from your Android or Apple smart phone or tablet."

10. degsie

degsie Member

Ah, ok. But it doesn't mention control of connected devices!

11. twosted

twosted New Member

But it does control other devices, just very intermittently. Like I said earlier it controls my stb but is very spotty.

12. degsie

degsie Member

Well, all I can say is that the OP's assumption that android/iOS apps can use the Vizio physical remote ir blaster capability to control his TV volume is incorrect. The app developers have already stated this.

13. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

I don't think this is a limitation, (at least I'd hope so) but rather a matter of debugging/ future updates.

From my understanding that there is a two-way communication between the remote and the unit (via bluetooth) to send IR commands (from remote IR blaster) to control TV/STB.

FYI, CoStar-box supports HDMI control signals (HDMI-CEC) - see this link

Btw, I think additional future control option like "Remote IP commands" (via HDMI) to control STBs will be available (maybe Dish support it) :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  14. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

My Google TV controls my added boxes using hdmi-cec. I have a Sony though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

15. Joendsu

Joendsu New Member

Another dissipointment from this thing...I don't see why the two way Bluetooth can't comm with the remote and ir blast to the other devices.

16. twosted

twosted New Member

But it does, try this. Set up a favorite channel using the "favorites" app. Then select that favorite channel. The Co-Star will relay that channel to the remote which then sends a signal to the stb to change to that channel.

17. Joendsu

Joendsu New Member

When using a android/iOS remote?

18. degsie

degsie Member

Just read this:

Update: Significant Limitations of Vizio Co-Star Google TV Device
    It seems the physical remote can be used to send the IR commands for IP remotes such as +Able Remote, but it is disabled by default.

The remote goes into power save mode when the physical buttons aren't pressed. You have to disable power save: Settings -> Devices -> Bluetooth -> Vizio XRA700 Remote -> Remote power save -> Off. The remote will be on all the time and can then be used to forward the IR commands for Able Remote. You have to point the remote at the devices and of course the remote battery will be drained faster. Its an awkward solution, but at least it is technically possible.

19. twosted

twosted New Member

Like I said earlier, for me it does intermittently. The point I was trying to make is that the Co-star is capable of sending commands to the ir blaster via the Bluetooth connection.

20. degsie

degsie Member

Can somebody test after disabling remote power save? Be interested to find out if the ir relay actually works.