Quantcast

Total disapoint!

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by h8isgr8, Nov 9, 2012.

1. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 New Member

This thing is total disapoint.... totally!

I bought this in the naive hope that it would be a better device than my Logitech Revue..... boy was I wrong!

Not only is it not better, it's hardly any different at all. It still isn't any more useful than a Roku/Boxee/SMP-N200 etc. Why even call it an Android platform when you can't install and run 99.9% of Android apps?

And the remote.... don't get me started on the remote. >.<

This is the last "GoogleTV" device I will ever purchase. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Try and fool me three times with another POS GoogleTV device and I will hunt down and eat every CEO of these f^#$!%& brainless companies!!!!!!!

Putting this square Vizio anal plug on ebay and buying one of those generic Android "mini pc" sticks. You know, the ones you can actually run Android apps on.

/rant

• Like Like x 2
  2. chopper

chopper Active Member

Right you are! The time for patience as far as App support goes is pretty much over for early adopters.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Be careful with those android PC sticks. I read a lot of negative complaints about the firmware being bad and needing to be updated on many of the models - things as basic as YouTube videos not playing properly, etc.

IMO even with all the flaws of GTV - Google is a huge corporation and the software support is likely to be better with GTV compared to a smaller company from China (that puts out these android TV dongles).

Of course as with anything else - you will find some people that like android TV sticks and are happy with it. I've personally never tried android TV so I can't comment from personal experience. Just saying I read about a lot of bugs on some of the devices.

Poor Wi-Fi is another thing I read about on some of the android TV devices. There are few if any detailed reviews in the mainstream press about these android TV dongles. So it's kind of hard to get a good grip on which models are "lemons" and which models are any good.

Just my 2 cents worth...........

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  4. roll3r22

roll3r22 New Member

Just out of curiosity, what apps do you wish it could run?

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have never owned one of those Android sticks but have read Google TV apps won't run well and Android apps intended for smart phones or tablets won't run well on most or all of them. Inadequate memory, storage, processor and other causes mean those things are never going to be much is my guess, I don't think it is even a product type Google is trying to assist achieve market acceptance. I don't run many apps with Google TV, I have purchased a few and run a few of the free apps, but I do use Google TV for the majority of my internet video streaming and believe it is still the best of the streaming boxes for my needs.

I do often see posts from someone just buying one and immediately disliking it, without determining ahead of time if it is a product suited for the purpose, and whining about what it doesn't do and that seems to be the norm so this type of complaint is nothing new.

• Like Like x 2
  6. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 New Member

PowerAmp, TuneIn Radio, emulators, etc.

I was never under the impression that Google gave any blessings to these generic "mini pc" devices. Why would that even mean anything to me when these official Google sactioned devices are complete rubbish anyway. Best that they stay away IMO.

I have no interest running GoogleTV apps (whatever those are) on the "mini pc" and I'm pretty sure the apps that I do want to run will run perfectly fine. The specs of the device I'm interested in crush the co-star....

CPU: 1.2GHz Freescale i.MX6 Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9
    GPU: Vivante CG2000
    RAM: 1024MB DDR3
    NAND: 16GB

I'm glad you like your co-star.... I don't feel the same way and I'm entitled to my opinion.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Of course you are entitled to your opinion but it might be more useful for others if you actually purchased a product designed to do what you wanted it to do. It is like you purchased a Vegematic and are complaining because you can't make pasta with it. The Google TV apps are the thousand or so apps you will see in the Google Play Market when you go there with a Google TV device. Google TV is designed to bring internet entertainment, video streaming primarily, together with traditional TV sources and for that purpose, it is far and away the best device available in my opinion. I own three Google TV boxes but I didn't want to run unrelated Android apps designed for phones or tablets or computers with it, I knew it would't be well suited for that purpose when purchased.

• Like Like x 2
  8. shwru980r

shwru980r New Member

The only app that is needed is the chrome browser. For $100 you can watch just about any show you want for free.

9. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Better app support is important, and I wish we could just ran any Android app that a phone could run, but it is getting better almost week by week.

10. CatfishRivers

Have you taken a look at the android stick mentioned in this thread (see link below)? There is a nice video presentation in the thread. It runs a dual-core Rockchip CPU. How do you feel the hardware compares to the android device with the Freescale quad-core processor?

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...ussion/6556-imito-mx1-overview.html#post39190

11. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 New Member

Haha.... this made me laugh.

12. roll3r22

roll3r22 New Member

I hear you. For emulators I use my Wii, TuneIn I have no use for at home, and all of my music is in Google Music so I don't need PowerAmp.

For me I'm happy having Plex on a fast enough box that I don't need to transcode even at 20mb 1080p, Netflix, TV pass-through so I don't need to switch inputs, a semi-unified search for TV and movies, and Able Remote both for it's Airplay-ish features and being a kick-ass remote on both my phone and tablet.

13. nrnoble

nrnoble New Member

It's not fantastic, but I am satisfied so. I have Ruko XS, so that is the only thing I have to compare it with. I like the fact that it has the ability to take HDMI input from my TiVo and overlay Google TV onto of it, thus I do not have to switch between HDMI inputs on my TV to use it. My disappointment is that TiVo has fallen so far behind I need to buy additional devices.

Does anyone know 'technically' why andriod tablet\phone apps won't run on Google TV? Is it that the developers need to recompile their apps making a few minor changes to support Google TV, or are Google TV apps significantly different that Tablet\Phone apps need a major overhaul. I wonder if its as simple as setting a flag saying the app supports Google TV.

The Google TV apps i don't like are the ones that redirect me to a website, and thus are hard to navigate\use.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  14. degsie

degsie Member

Some apps depend on some form of touch 'swipe' action, while some others are designed for flexible screen orientation (gtv's are fixed to landscape), and still others look for GPS information. So these apps will be 'excluded' from gtv. These are workaround's where you can side-load non conforming apps and locking the screen orientation but mostly it's lazy app developers who have no interest in supporting a 'weak' platform.

15. jonw747

TuneIn radio is supported on the google tv, but via a web link, not via an App.

• Like Like x 2
  16. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

17. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Naw man, you are 1000% right, but you got a lot people like this, TuneIn Radio is there in the Spotlight section as you said on the Vizio Co-Star too ....!

• Like Like x 2
  18. CatfishRivers

JMHO but some people tend to think that apps that are downloaded and stored on the device are superior to anything that "only links to a web site".

I do not share this view. First of all some of the web sites in the Spotlight section are in essence "web apps" -(web sites especially designed for GTV and the leanback experience).

I have found both good and bad "web apps" - and also good and bad apps that download to the GTV device from Google Play. It just depends on the specific app.

Also at times I find the regular web site version of a particular app (viewed with Chrome browser) is the best alternative.

I will mention that I didn't particularly care for the GTV TuneIN web app in the Spotlight section - because the music stops playing as soon as I leave the TuneIn web app. In other words the music does not continue playing while I web surf. Other than that it seems to work well. So I guess it just depends on what one's particular priorities are.

I have found that there is a way to make iHeart Radio and NPR to continue playing in background while web surfing. Also Pandora will play in background while web surfing.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  19. jonw747

CatfishRivers- not only do I believe this, but I assumed it, or I would have mentioned it earlier. The web versions of various apps are certainly better than nothing, but they are often not as functional as you would expect an App to be. Whether that's a missing feature (background play), or missing support for buttons (rewind/FF), or just slower access. I'm glad we can run web apps, but I consider them a stop gap and not a substitute.

20. h8isgr8

h8isgr8 New Member

I was absolutely aware of the spotlight "links". IMO it is a horrible option compared to using an actual app like TuneIn. The web version is painful to navigate to, slow, and constantly stops playback.

And the reason most side loaded apps won't run is not due to "lazy developers". There are certain libraries that apps rely on to function properly and a lot of those libraries are compiled differently on the googletvr android builds, causing compatibility problems. An app will run fine as long as it doesn't call on one of those incompatible libraries.